Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  MyStuff  ~  Next in series classed as an 'Alternative'

Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
chris_s
Posted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:00 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 23 May 2008 Posts: 401
I am trying to set an SS for 'Southcliffe' Sunday C4 21:00, but as the previous 1 hour slot has two recordings scheduled, I knew that it would only work if there was an alternative: it duly came up with the 'A' symbol.

To find out when the actual recording was going to be I pressed-and-held PiP and, after a lot of deliberation, it came up with:-

Sunday C4 'A'
Sunday C4+1 'A'
Monday C4 'S'
Monday C4+1 'A'

the only problem being that Monday is episode 2.

I have also noticed this on the odd occasion that I use the 'Clashing Timers' screen (when prompted), and it comes up with next week's episode of whatever as an 'alternative'.

TAPs: QuickJump 1.72; MPDisplayLITE V1.2; QuickBlank 0.2; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; MyInfo B5.6; EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.5; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7; MHEG On/Off A3; (Start Channel LCN);
Sig generated by MyInfo on 14/3/12
TV=Panasonic TX-32DT2 IDTV (32" CRT via CVBS-SCART), Tx: Sutton Coldfield. "My other PVR is a TiVo".
juwlz
Posted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:46 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10798 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
I'm not sure what long press of PiP is configured to do on your Toppy setup, but pressing SlowMo again from the Guide, with Southcliffe selected takes me to the entry for Southcliffe in the searches screen, and opening that, and Long pressing OK on the top row shows two timers set for C4, and 2 Alternates set for C4+1. (What you see is also governed by your settings, so you may or may not need to long press OK to see the Alternates.)

I'm guessing that when you set it, the broadcasters had screwed up the CRID data. The only way to know is to inspect the Extended Info (on my machine, that's set to PipSwitch in the Keys section) and see what Episode and Series CRID data has been allocated.

I'd post what I've found here, but C4 CRIDs are very long, and I happen to to be off work today because I can't see well enough to drive, let alone transcribe a long list of numbers!

Julie

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
juwlz
Posted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:50 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10798 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
chris_s wrote:
I have also noticed this on the odd occasion that I use the 'Clashing Timers' screen (when prompted), and it comes up with next week's episode of whatever as an 'alternative'.
IIRC, the clashing timers screen doesn't take account of the CRID or what type of search has set a timer - it just looks for programmes with the same name to allow human intervention in resolving clashes - which it has done since long before MS 6.0, when Series Search was introduced to MS; before that, manual resolution was the only option you had.

Julie

chris_s
Posted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:55 pm Reply with quote
I posted this topic immediately after finding the problem. I think that you may possibly be missing the point that it could not record on C4 Sunday because of the two scheduled recordings in the previous 1 hour slot but, had I not followed it up, I would have assumed (from the 'A') that it had found a viable alternative, however, that alternative proved to be episode 2.

TAPs: QuickJump 1.72; MPDisplayLITE V1.2; QuickBlank 0.2; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; MyInfo B5.6; EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.5; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7; MHEG On/Off A3; (Start Channel LCN);
TV=Panasonic TX-32DT2 IDTV (32" CRT via CVBS-SCART), Tx: Sutton Coldfield. "My other PVR is a TiVo".
juwlz
Posted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Without knowing what CRID data you have for each transmission, it's impossible to say whether it's a CRID issue or a problem with MyStuff.

chris_s
Posted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Just to muddy the waters, and probably put this thread into limbo, I restarted the toppy to check the CRIDs and it did a VFF. When all was finished I found that it had decided to record episode 1 on '4seven' (Sunday): Note EPG scan is early morning.

juwlz
Posted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:37 pm Reply with quote
chris_s wrote:
When all was finished I found that it had decided to record episode 1 on '4seven' (Sunday)
It probably was an initial error with the broadcast CRID that got fixed then. It's not that unusual for them to get it wrong, and then spot the mistake and fix it..
Quote:
Note EPG scan is early morning.
EPG2MEI is scanning all the time in the background whenever the Toppy is on, but not actively being used (i.e. you leave the Remote Control alone long enough for it to think it's not stealing more important CPU cycles).

The EPG scan in the settings is merely a watch timer to make sure the Toppy gets woken up at least once a day to update the EPG if you're not there.

Julie

MickKi
Posted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 30 Aug 2008 Posts: 191
As a result of the same error I missed the 1st episode of Southcliff - would a kind soul have a copy to share? Please IM me if you do.

This is how the problem manifests here on different series:

Selecting a series and pressing slo-mo creates the series search and shows the green S symbol, on the first available episode transmission of the series. I was caught out by this, because looking at the same program on EPG later on, after rebooting the toppy, we discovered that it had moved it to another alternative time. I checked if there were any clashes that caused it to move away from the first transmission slot to a later alternative transmission time and couldn't find anything that would cause this.

Three times I deleted the search and recreated with repeatable results. I did it as many as three times times, because it did not offer me the 'Record this episode another time if available' option. It was shown on a black background and was not selectable. Then, I tried excluding the later alternative time slot and neither the first episode transmission, nor the repeat were selected. It is as if the first episode transmission was not being accepted no matter what.

Just a few minutes ago this problem showed up again with Countryfile on BBC1. MyStuff wanted to record tonight's episode on next Sunday's repeat at 12:40pm and nothing I tried would convince it otherwise ...

I ended up switching on the toppy manually just before Countryfile started and had to create a new series search which selected the first episode correctly; but then I did not switch off the toppy to avoid this stupid rescheduling problem.

Is there some workaround to overcome this problem, because as is SS is rather temperamental.

TS On, F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 -FmSy+EvPeUWf
TAPs: EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.6; Extend v1.7; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; MHEG On/Off A3; PruneEPG 1.0; MyInfo B5.6;
Sig generated by MyInfo on 7/11/15
juwlz
Posted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:48 pm Reply with quote
I'm sure sure what's happening, but does it work OK as a PS, rather than an SS?

ccs
Posted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 30 Oct 2007 Posts: 2376
I've probably seen the same type of problem with SS.....
ccs wrote:
Wimbledon tonight was pushing back the start time of EastEnders on a regular basis,
so I used the white button in the epg to record the bbc3 repeat.

This worked fine, but every time the epg updated, the bbc1 episode came back as the one to record.
I must have reset it 3 or 4 times.

ccsx
MickKi
Posted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:56 pm Reply with quote
juwlz wrote:
I'm sure sure what's happening, but does it work OK as a PS, rather than an SS?

No, both PS and SS are borked. I tried to set a PS on Ramsay's Hotel on Channel 4 tonight, after I had unsuccessfully tried to set up a SS and deleted it. A two episode series. Upon rebooting the recording had moved from tonight to the repeat on 4seven later in the week. Trying to set an alternative worked, but only for an even later repeat on 4seven, not on Channel 4 or even Channel 4+1.

So this behaviour is repeatable both with SS and PS. Once the EPG is reloaded upon a toppy reboot, the first available episode is skipped for some future repeat and the user is not offered the option to record the original episode no matter what.

Please let me know if you need any additional info to debug this.

TAPs: EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.6; Extend v1.7; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; MHEG On/Off A3; PruneEPG 1.0; MyInfo B5.6;
HydeTheDarkerSide
Posted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 11 May 2005 Posts: 5955 Location: Hannington Transmitter : Sony KDL 40Z5800
Does your toppy display the correct date and time?

MyStuff Links: http://www.toppy.org.uk/~mystuff/index.shtml
Sig generated by MyInfo on 11/10/13
BobD
Posted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:58 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 03 Aug 2005 Posts: 4215 Location: Nottingham
If this problem is indeed repeatable, we may have a chance of debugging it to see what is going on.

For that to work, we will need you to find a Search and a matching programme such that:

1) It goes wrong every time you try it (ie every time you reload the EPG or restart MS)
2) The programme is (at least) several days away. The further away the better, as that will give us time to try multiple versions of debug builds trying to narrow down the problem.

I can then create a version of MS that debugs the search routine as it makes the decision to not record the first broadcast, and then try to fix it. By its very nature, this is likely to take several attempts, hence the need for as large a number of days as possible before the programme is on.

Oh, and you have to be prepared to run internal builds of MS that have therefore not had the same amount of testing as released builds Smile

If you are up for that then please try to find a suitable programme, then PM your email address and:

1) The name of the Search
2) The name, date & time of the offending programme

MyStuff skins, manual and latest version: http://www.BobDsMyStuff.co.uk
Known bugs & forthcoming fixes: http://www.BobDsMyStuff.co.uk/Bugs.shtml
Changes coming in the next version: http://www.BobDsMyStuff.co.uk/NextVersion.shtml
ccs
Posted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 30 Oct 2007 Posts: 2376
I can test things out on my spare 5810.

ccsx
MickKi
Posted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:35 pm Reply with quote
HydeTheDarkerSide wrote:
Does your toppy display the correct date and time?

Yes it does as far as the EPG goes and the time shown when it is switched off. Should I check somewhere else?