Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  New users start here  ~  Frequent rescan for channels needed

Page 1 of 1
tombar
Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 01 Nov 2009 Posts: 51 Location: Kendal
My TF5800PVRt (or That Bloody Thing, as i prefer to call it) has developed a new fault where it frequently loses all the channels and, when I come to use it, i get no further than the Installation menu and have to scan for channels again - it also stops recording. I've not been using it a lot, as I got fed up with the paltyr 8 or so channels I can get on Freeview on our repeater and now usually using Freesat . But it would be nice if it did work sometimes. Any idea?

Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 06 Apr 2010 Posts: 1679
Have the power supply unit's capacitors been replaced? Assuming that your Toppy is as old as your forum joining date, they will need replacing by now.

Other TAPs : FsCheck, Channel Organiser. PSU Caps 7/2/2011 Tx: Mendip. TV: Samsung (32"), NSLU2, STB: Labgear FV300. PC Acer Aspire One with Win7 Starter
alan_m
Posted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:38 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Oct 2006 Posts: 3405
tombar wrote:
My TF5800PVRt (or That Bloody Thing, as i prefer to call it) has developed a new fault where it frequently loses all the channels and, when I come to use it, i get no further than the Installation menu and have to scan for channels again - it also stops recording. I've not been using it a lot, as I got fed up with the paltyr 8 or so channels I can get on Freeview on our repeater and now usually using Freesat . But it would be nice if it did work sometimes. Any idea?

How are you scanning for channels?
I suspect, because you have a relay, that you are auto scanning in an area where the signal from the surrounding main transmitters can be found on some days and not others. You may have to manually scan for only the MUXs from the relay.

5800 - 1Tbyte HD and fan F/W: MS6, 5.13.65T 18 Nov 2010 -Te+B2D plus aXeL
Auto Start:MyStuff 6.5|EPG2MEI v0.96|Extend v1.7|SecCache (UK) v0.4|TF5000 Display v1.53|MHEG On/Off A3
EMJB
Posted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:00 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 08 Jul 2005 Posts: 3620 Location: Maldon Essex
alan_m wrote:
I suspect, because you have a relay, that you are auto scanning in an area where the signal from the surrounding main transmitters can be found on some days and not others. You may have to manually scan for only the MUXs from the relay.
Don't think that would cause the problem - it doesn't forget channels just because there is no signal. You would need to do a Factory Reset to get rid of them. PSU problems or dying flash memory sounds a more likely cause to me.

EMJB

Posted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 01 Nov 2009 Posts: 51 Location: Kendal
Latest news. This is my second Toppy - new 2 years ago, it stopped behaving and I was convinced it was the hard drive (don't ask me why now), but the technical people claimed it was nothing to do with them, so I swapped the hard drive from the 1st one and it has worked fine since then. Now have this problem. Today, I found it wouldn't even scan for channels and was very noisy, so did a factory reset and was able to scan for channels, but still noisy and seems to be vibrating (don't know how much it NORMALLY vibrates).

if i'd known I' d have to become a full-time technician, I d not have bothered with it!