Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  New users start here  ~  File list icon disabled, USB not working, C457 run loop

Page 1 of 1
deeyem
Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Hi all

Great site! Thanks to all involved Smile

My 5810's 'File List' option suddenly became unavailable recently and when I tried connecting my laptop (which I was able to do earlier this year) there was no tell-tale 'bing bong' from Windows to say a device had been connected. It also spontaneously reboots (C457 -> run).

I've been scouring the boards looking for information on what the cause could be and from what I have read it looks like like it might be a power supply problem.

I have taken the lid off and looked at the capacitors but my less-than-expert eyes Shocked can't tell if they are 'domed ' or not:

Being unable to pause and rewind TV is making my children think we are back in the dark-ages Laughing so I'm under pressure to get it fixed. If anyone can shed any light on what the problem is and how to resolve it, I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Daren

Previously able to access recorded programs via USB using Altair (but have now seen the light and installed Antares on Win 7 64 laptop)
alan_m
Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Oct 2006 Posts: 3438
deleted

Last edited by alan_m on Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

5800 - 1Tbyte HD and fan F/W: MS6, 5.13.65T 18 Nov 2010 -Te+B2D plus aXeL
Auto Start:MyStuff 6.5|EPG2MEI v0.96|Extend v1.7|SecCache (UK) v0.4|TF5000 Display v1.53|MHEG On/Off A3
alan_m
Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Oct 2006 Posts: 3438
deeyem wrote:
Hi all

Great site! Thanks to all involved Smile

My 5810's 'File List' option suddenly became unavailable recently and when I tried connecting my laptop (which I was able to do earlier this year) there was no tell-tale 'bing bong' from Windows to say a device had been connected. It also spontaneously reboots (C457 -> run).

I've been scouring the boards looking for information on what the cause could be and from what I have read it looks like like it might be a power supply problem.

I have taken the lid off and looked at the capacitors but my less-than-expert eyes Shocked can't tell if they are 'domed ' or not:

Always the first thing to try is a cold boot which can only be achieved by removing the mains plug for two minutes and then restoring power.

If the mains is connected (even in standby) be aware that there is 300+ Volts on the metal heatsink at the back of the power supply board. It will bite if you touch it.
http://www.admac.myzen.co.uk/toppy_warning/

Often when a capacitor fails there is no physical sign of damage but at least one capacitor appears domed. The only reliable way is to measure the PSU voltages.

Digital MultiMeters can be obtain for silly (cheap) money. 2 examples taken at random from Ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DIGITAL-LCD-MULTIMETER-VOLTMETER-AMMETER-VOLT-OHM-METER-VOLTAGE-TESTER-/280899235964?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Test_Measurement_Equipment_ET&hash=item4166e6307c

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DIGITAL-LCD-MULTIMETER-VOLTMETER-AMMETER-VOLT-OHM-METER-/140614204386?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Test_Measurement_Equipment_ET&hash=item20bd427be2

Two forum members offer repair services or can supply a kit of quality parts

See
http://forum.toppy.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=251846#251846

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Topfield_5800/PSU_Repair

Last edited by alan_m on Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:01 pm; edited 2 times in total

5800 - 1Tbyte HD and fan F/W: MS6, 5.13.65T 18 Nov 2010 -Te+B2D plus aXeL
Auto Start:MyStuff 6.5|EPG2MEI v0.96|Extend v1.7|SecCache (UK) v0.4|TF5000 Display v1.53|MHEG On/Off A3
juwlz
Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:30 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10810 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
See Toppy Repairs for all your options (including DIY and parts and/or repair service from forum members).

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
andyfras
Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 25 Jul 2005 Posts: 3393
I can see 4 domed capacitors from your photographs - C8, C10, C13, C14

URC-7555 remote: TF5800 320GB 2.5", Recommended_5800.tfd + CfPePsScUUuWfZ
deeyem
Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the swift replies. Smile

alan_m wrote:

Always the first thing to try is a cold boot which can only be achieved by removing the mains plug for two minutes and then restoring power

Tried that, symptoms remain Sad

alan_m wrote:

Two forum members offer repair services or can supply a kit of quality parts

See
http://forum.toppy.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=251846#251846

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Topfield_5800/PSU_Repair

juwlz wrote:
See Toppy Repairs for all your options (including DIY and parts and/or repair service from forum members).

Thanks for those Smile

andyfras wrote:
I can see 4 domed capacitors from your photographs - C8, C10, C13, C14

Thanks - you are 'just up the road' from me so it would be ideal if I could PM you for a quote.

Cheers

Daren

Previously able to access recorded programs via USB using Altair (but have now seen the light and installed Antares on Win 7 64 laptop)
deeyem
Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:50 pm Reply with quote
All sorted thanks to andyfras Very Happy

Pausable live TV in the deeyem household - Mrs deeyem and the little deeyems now feel they are back in the 21st century Laughing

Thanks Andy, much appreciated!