Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Firmwares, enhancements and upgrades  ~  Fan Installed in Toppy

Page 15 of 15
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15
AndersG
Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Interesting thread Smile With my 5100 with a 1Tb SATA drive, I find that the interior temp (as measured with a thermometer) reaches over 50 degrees centigrade when running the disk. The disk will spin down when not in use though.

I tried small (50mm) thin fans in various places under the hood, with disappointing results. Cooling was marginal and noise was high. Best results were with a 120mm fan on top of the unit, sucking out air.

I guess I will try to create a mockup cover with a fan next, but ideally should the fan only run when the disk spins. Spin up/down is through SW however so I guess one could sense the current in the +12V wire to the disk and switch the fan accordingly....
andyfras
Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 25 Jul 2005 Posts: 3042 Location: Fleet, Hampshire (Hannington)
AndersG wrote:
Spin up/down is through SW however so I guess one could sense the current in the +12V wire to the disk and switch the fan accordingly....

With UK models, the firmware version has an effect on this. Some versions do not remove HDD power, some do and others have been patched to provide 'true' standby.

URC-7555 remote: TF5800 1TB with fan, Recommended_5800.tfd + CfPePsScWfZ
alan_m
Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 17 Oct 2006 Posts: 3147 Location: Southchurch Village, Southend-on-Sea
AndersG wrote:
Interesting thread Smile With my 5100 with a 1Tb SATA drive, I find that the interior temp (as measured with a thermometer) reaches over 50 degrees centigrade when running the disk. The disk will spin down when not in use though.

I tried small (50mm) thin fans in various places under the hood, with disappointing results. Cooling was marginal and noise was high. Best results were with a 120mm fan on top of the unit, sucking out air.

I guess I will try to create a mockup cover with a

fan next, but ideally should the fan only run when the disk spins. Spin up/down is through SW however so I guess one could sense the current in the +12V wire to the disk and switch the fan accordingly....

Use the HDDInfo TAP to monitor the hard disk temperature in real time.
http://www.tapworld.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=163
Screenshot
http://www.admac.myzen.co.uk/HDDInfo3/

Temperature is in second screen - raw column.

A 60mm or 80mm fan running at around 1000rpm and fitted under the top cover (to the right of the hard disk) with cheap cable ties should give
a 10 to 15C reduction in HDD temperature (on a 5800) and run almost silently.

See
http://forum.toppy.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=251248#251248

AndersG
Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:08 pm Reply with quote
1. The spindown is in software, power remains on the +12V wire at all times
2. There is hardly any space available to the right of the HD as there is a large daughtercard there.

This 5100 PVRc HDMI is quite a bit more crowded inside than the original 5100 models:

AndersG
Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Just for laughs, did I create a mockup cover out of cardboard. When seen from the front it has two slots, appox 1cm running the length of both vertical sides. On top, the fan is positioned in the lower left corner over PSU/DISK. To the extreme right, there are four slots running the depth of the cover, 1cm wide 1cm apart.

The 12V fan, jamicon jf0925b, not the quietest of the lot, sits on top and runs at 5V, pulling air out of the enclosure. Temperature just below the fan is 30C and 27C to the right of the disk. Even at Ta=25C and prolonged play of a film from the disk.

I guess I could create a real cover out of metal or plastic, rather than cutting the original one and add a super quiet fan. I have seen CPU fans, 120mm with noise figures around 8dB and a flow of 34CFM.