Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  AV & other discussions  ~  Humax YouView DTR-T1000

Page 1 of 1
Toppy_Tom
Posted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 08 Sep 2006 Posts: 56
I’ve been considering upgrading my trusty old 5800 to an HD PVR for a long time now but I decided to stick with the Toppy until the launch of YouView. Having waited what seems like an eternity for YouView to finally see the light of day- and having been so enthusiastic about it’s potential - I have to say I’m bitterly disappointed with the lack of features on the Humax YouView DTR-T1000.

I was fully expecting it to be an HDR-FOX T2 on steroids. Instead what seems to be on offer is a relatively expensive PVR that has been hobbled to such an extent - presumably at the behest of the YouView consortium – that it falls well short of the HDR-FOX T2 feature set and in some areas lacks even the most basic PVR functionality. For instance, you can’t set manual timers, there are no skip buttons, no archive folders, no favourites list, no DLNA or USB playback, and you can’t even search the forward EPG only the backwards ‘on demand’ content. For more info see this post on the myhumax forum –

http://myhumax.org/forum/topic/salient-points-from-faqs

On this evidence I’m inclined to forget about YouView and buy an HDR-FOX T2 1TB. Catch-up TV is a nice add-on but I already have a myriad of catch-up TV options –Panasonic Smart TV and Blu-Ray both have BBC iPlayer, Xbox360 has all the catch up services except iTV, iPhone + iPad + Apple TV = all the catch up services. I’m certainly not willing to buy what in my opinion looks like an overpriced hobbled PVR, just to get integrated catch-up services.

I’m aware that some people on here are part of the YouView trial and have signed NDA’s but does anyone have any first hand experience with the DTR-T1000 that they can share? Is it really as bad as it looks?

TF5800 - Silver, TS On, F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 -Sy TAPs: EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; EPG2MEI v0.96; Extend v1.7; Font Manager 1.0d; MHEG On/Off A3; MyInfo B5.6; MyStuff 6.5; SecCache (UK) v0.4; TF5800 - Black, TS On, F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 -Sy TAPs: EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.5; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; MHEG On/Off A3; MyInfo B5.6; Sig generated by MyInfo on 15/2/14
juwlz
Posted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:55 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10338 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
Now that the box has actually been released, I can't imagine that there's that much that's undisclosed.

There's no doubt that the YouView UI can't hold a candle to a 5800/5810 with MyStuff, but we've been spoiled to some extent, and I would be surprised to find anything that can. I don't know anything about the HDR-FOX T2, so can't comment on how that compares with the YouView box. I only know that I'd rather use the YouView than our Humax Freesat box (the model number of which I can never remember).

What I will say is that YouView do appear to be listening to the (trial) user base and planning to change the firmware. (One member of the user forum has recently created a consolidated list of requests, and YouView are aware of it, and say they're working on at least some of them.)

Of course, we have no way of knowing whether that means they'll make any of the requested changes in the next week, month, year, or not at all.

You've hung on this long. I'd be inclined to hang on a while longer and see how long it takes them to deliver, and when they do, whether they deliver the bits that are important to you.

Julie

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
Geoff Bacon
Posted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 11 Jan 2007 Posts: 2988 Location: Bristol ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯ Windows XP, USB
Also, if you wait a bit longer, the price may come down.
I'm sure that they will include extra features as time progresses; if only so they can sell more boxes.

Someone (gomezz?) commented recently that they thought that YouView had probably only had the use of the Humax boxes i.e. they had to write the whole thing themselves. If true, this would explain why it has taken so long to produce and the lack of features that those with toppies deem standard.

Geoff

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; QuickJump 1.72; MyInfo B5.6; Font Manager 1.0d; EPG2MEI v0.96; CrashTrace v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; Extend v1.7; WSSkiller V2.12d; SecCache (UK) v0.4; MyStuff 6.5;
Sig generated by MyInfo on 6/9/13
Darucla
Posted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 06 Jun 2007 Posts: 1423 Location: Norwich
It is difficult to know what will happen with the YouView move. Having the concept of accessing on-line material is very appealing, especially if the Ulraviolet initiative takes off, presuming of course that the YouView box at some point will be able to access your Ultraviolet account. But It has to have at least DLNA network conectivity as far as I am concerned at the moment.

It's a bit wait and see I think.
Toppy_Tom
Posted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 08 Sep 2006 Posts: 56
juwlz wrote:

You've hung on this long. I'd be inclined to hang on a while longer and see how long it takes them to deliver, and when they do, whether they deliver the bits that are important to you.

Julie

Thanks - sounds like good advice. The cynic in me suspects that some features (skip buttons, favourites list etc) have been intentionally omitted to please the content providers. If so I don't think YouView will ever be something that would interest me, which would be a shame because it has such huge potential.

I'm very tempted to buy a Humax HD-FOX T2 and install custom firmware but I think I'll hang on for a few months before making a final decision. I'm also interested to see what Apple have planned for TV - the ability to copy recorded Freeview content from an Apple TV set or PVR to an iPad, or access it remotely with iTunes/iPad would be a killer feature.

TF5800 - Silver, TS On, F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 -Sy TAPs: EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; EPG2MEI v0.96; Extend v1.7; Font Manager 1.0d; MHEG On/Off A3; MyInfo B5.6; MyStuff 6.5; SecCache (UK) v0.4; TF5800 - Black, TS On, F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 -Sy TAPs: EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.5; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; MHEG On/Off A3; MyInfo B5.6; Sig generated by MyInfo on 15/2/14
gomezz
Posted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Nov 2005 Posts: 3877 Location: Buckingham
Geoff Bacon wrote:
Someone (gomezz?) commented recently

I don't think that was me but I have had a lot to say about Youview recently so I could have lost track. My personal summary is that the UI is aesthetically slick but ergonomically lacking (eg no single key press to get to the Recording List or to the Timers List) and the box has plenty of room for improvement in the features it offers.

Like juwlz I find the UI miles better than the Foxsat HDR (as is the operation of the remote) but as I often need at least two PVRs to capture all I want to then I would be happy to have the Youview box to record the BBC channels and the Foxsat to record the commercial channels thus neatly sidestepping the lack of jump buttons.

Note that one other big showstopper for many maybe the current lack of support for digital surround sound transcoding.