Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  New users start here  ~  Problem with Toppy

Page 1 of 1
Ginger
Posted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:23 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 05 Sep 2006 Posts: 195 Location: Hampshire, U.K.
Last evening Toppy working without any problems but this morning I woke to YED on the display (remainder of Delayed off I presume), nothing works, it will not come out of being tuned to BBC 2 even after pulling the main plug.

Altair doesn't work with it and neither does Antares but Top Manager sees it momentarily.
I get this message from Top Manager:

Connecting to Bedroom...
Attempting to open USB connection using tfWinUSB.dll ...
USB connection to Toppy established
Checking visibility of directories on the Toppy
Error: DirectoryExists exception failure (#:\ProgramFiles\)
Error: DirectoryExists exception failure (#:\DataFiles\)
Error: Unable to detect Toppy top level directories
Please check that Toppy is switched On and connected to your server
Closed Toppy Connection
<<< Connection failed
TopManager has not detected any programs that would prevent use e.g. Altair
<<< Check Toppy is switched on and cable is connected

Andy replaced the capacitors around February and a new HD was isntalled about a month ago.

Help please.

™
Darucla
Posted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 06 Jun 2007 Posts: 1448 Location: Norwich
I am sure that Andy will be along any minute to help,but it looks like the hard drive cannot be accessed. This could be a drive failure, or a converter failure. If you are happy to do so (watch out for dangerous voltages, so unplug and leave for a few minutes before taking the top off), unplugging the HDD and testing the box out as just a receiver should verify that the drive is the problem.
Geoff Bacon
Posted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 11 Jan 2007 Posts: 3130 Location: Bristol ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ Windows XP, USB
The TM messages indicate that it can't see the top level subdirectories (ProgramFiles and/or DataFiles).

This indicates a fault with the disk (or perhaps the file structure has been corrupted).

Suggest you switch it off and try to repair the disk with TopfHDRW (runs on windows pc, needs disk removed from toppy).

If TopfHDRW can't process the disk then it has failed; if it can repair the file system then you can put it back in the toppy.

Geoff
PS: I bought USB 2.0 TO SATA IDE CABLE FOR HDD CD DVD ROM WITH UK POWER ADAPTER; it came very quick.

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; QuickJump 1.72; MyInfo B5.6; Font Manager 1.0d; EPG2MEI v0.96; CrashTrace v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; Extend v1.7; WSSkiller V2.12d; SecCache (UK) v0.4; MyStuff 6.5;
Sig generated by MyInfo on 6/9/13
™
Ginger
Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 05 Sep 2006 Posts: 195 Location: Hampshire, U.K.
Thank you for your replies, OH is now doing as suggested and my fingers are crossed.

All seems to be well now although there are some files, can't remember what they're called, which lead me to believe they won't play but they do, perfectly, bit strange, also a file was created with Bad Files.

Thanks for your help.

™