Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Firmwares, enhancements and upgrades  ~  SATA-IDE converters, working and non-working models

Page 15 of 17
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
birdman
Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 13 Dec 2006 Posts: 1702 Location: Hitchin, HERTS Tx: Sandy Heath
andyfras wrote:
If the drive has a higher data rate than the adapter (most do), some hand-shaking has to take place between the two. Sometimes this takes so long that the Toppy fails to recognise the disk. Limiting the disk's speed to 1.5Gb/s saves this hand-shaking time.
Whereas I'm sure this is true (otherwise why bother to have a data-limit option on the disk) it's always struck me as odd.
I have a W10EURX, which is SATA-III, but you can "only" write to it at ~120MB/s - which is less that the SATA-I 1.5Gb/s anyway. (That's the speed I got through a USB3/SATA bridge).
On my PC I have a Seagate Barracuda ST500DM002 on a SATA-III connector, which again I can only read from at ~120MB/s. Even the spec sheet gives its sustained I/O rate as 125MB/s (but does allow for bursts at 600MB/s)

Toppy: TF5800PVR/250 - Black, now 1TB WD10EURX
F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 -FmVrXp+BmC0CbFsIPsUUuWfZXl,
Loader: C5.14, Hardware: 1.01
TAPs: SecCache (UK) v0.4; EPG2MEI v0.96; FontManager 1.0d; QuickJump 1.71; MhegOnOff(Now1) A3; EIT Sub v0.6; MyStuff 6.6
USB connected: SheevaPlug with Debian wheezy
Sig mostly from MyInfo on 26/10/09
mstombs
Posted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 31 Dec 2006 Posts: 690
I have a 'new' HD154UI which won't work on a 5800 with a DealExtreme Connector - Toppy hangs on formatting or VF&F. I have same combo working on another, but don't want to break it testing.

Drive and adaptor work fine on PC, so I am wondering about this 300/150 switch.

The website suggests that there is a jumper

http://knowledge.seagate.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/221435en

BUT doesn't seem to do anything. Leaflet with the drive says that software required from www.samsunghdd.com - which now redirects to seagate.- but I can't find the ESTOOL at the moment...

[edit] The latest Samsung tool I could find referenced in waybackmachine 301v was still available

CD version
http://www.samsung.com/sec/consumer/learningresources/downloads/ESTOOL301v_CDROM.zip

FDD version
http://www.samsung.com/sec/consumer/learningresources/downloads/ESTOOL301v_FDD.zip

I confirm the CD boot version can do the job, whether it makes much difference to the toppy is another question... it didn't, need to look for another adaptor...

[Final edit: The drive and drive adaptor turned out to be fine - an unaltered 80-way cable with motherboard end in the drive adaptor and drilled master into the motherboard makes it all work fine]

Last edited by mstombs on Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:08 pm; edited 2 times in total
co!in
Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:30 pm Reply with quote
I give up!
Having studied this forum topic at length, I decided to update to SATA.
So starting with an approved 1TB WD10EARS HDD (Opt1 link at 5-6), I have now tried the following converters, designed to mount onto the SATA HDD connector with the IDE cables plugging into the free side of the board. I used a spare 12" round IDE cable: blue end to HDD and grey end to the power supply board, with the blanked pinhole drilled through:-

'PATA & SATA 5006' model FZX5006 with JM20330 chip. NB: jumper removed!
'PATA TO SATA' model RPCT with Sunplus SATALink SPIF223A-HL022 chip - jumperless.
Delock 61897: IDE-SATA07 with Marvell 88SA8502-NNC2 chip via ebay.de (translated by Google!) with Master jumper connected.
Lycom ST-1062 with Marvell 88SA8502-NNC2 chip from Scan Electronics with Master jumper connected. NB Scan include the essential Molex to FDD connector cable.

All of them worked in my IDE desktop. None of them worked in my Toppy 5800. My test method was:
1 Reset to Factory Setting
2 Standby > power cycle
3 Wait ...... in vain, for 'Format Hard Disk?' message.
4 Default Search for channels and repeat 2, 3.
I even tried the last converter on a second Toppy 5800 - nbg. I'd recently updated the capacitors in this Toppy. Then, grasping at straws, I carried out a power supply capacitor update - nbg (the voltages were within spec. anyway)
So now I have a selection of converters - and a dead Toppy. Can't stand the default Topfield software - totally dependent on Mystuff - fantastic idiot-proof installation procedure!
Notwithstanding Bob_Swedes valiant efforts on page 1 of this forum, what I, and others, really need is a list of working HDD and Converter pairings, working and not. Any webpage authors willing to set one up - for us to fill in? Yes I know it's difficult to identify some of the cheaper converters - I've tried my best above.
I've a vague feeling I'm missing something somewhere?
alan_m
Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 17 Oct 2006 Posts: 3201 Location: Southchurch Village, Southend-on-Sea
co!in wrote:
I give up!
Having studied this forum topic at length, I decided to update to SATA.
So starting with an approved 1TB WD10EARS HDD (Opt1 link at 5-6),

Are you selecting the correct two pins. Pin 1 is towards the nearest side edge of the case as shown in
http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/981/p/227,294/c/123/session/L3RpbWUvMTM0NTIzMDU0Ni9zaWQvamt4Um5YM2w=#satadesktopjump

Is the disk actually spinning up in your Toppy (assuming that you have connected the power) One thing to check is the 4 pin white Molex power connector(s). It is not unknown while attempting to mate the two halves the pin or the socket push out of the back of the white plastic shells and one or more connections don't make reliably. You can push the individual pin/socket back in with a pair of long nose pliers (with the power off)

Quote:

All of them worked in my IDE desktop. None of them worked in my Toppy 5800. My test method was:
1 Reset to Factory Setting
2 Standby > power cycle
3 Wait ...... in vain, for 'Format Hard Disk?' message.
4 Default Search for channels and repeat 2, 3.

Can a disk formatted on a PC be seen automatically when the Toppy powers up or do you first have to select the format option in the Toppy menu

1 -> 2 -> 4 -> Installation Menu -> Format hard disk

Quote:

Notwithstanding Bob_Swedes valiant efforts on page 1 of this forum, what I, and others, really need is a list of working HDD and Converter pairings, working and not.

I've a vague feeling I'm missing something somewhere?

Usually when people say the combinations don't work rarely is it a complete failure. For instance, a failure could be when adapter fails to cope with recording 2 whilst playing back 1 or that playbacks always stutter etc.

cthatcham2
Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 30 Sep 2008 Posts: 30 Location: West Berks (Hannington transmitter)
Colin - I note that you said you're using a round IDE cable - but the Western Digital website, and various contributors to this forum advise that you should use a flat UDMA 80 pin IDE ribbon type cable instead....

PSU capacitors replaced May 2012.

Upgrades June 2012: WD10EURX 1TB HDD, Antares, MyStuff 6.4

TF5800, TS On, F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 -FmSy
TAPs: EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.4; MyInfo B5.6; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; MHEG On/Off A3;
Sig generated by MyInfo on 15/7/12
co!in
Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Thanks alan_m for your response.

Yes I'm using using the Optn1 link correctly - I checked the pinout at WD tech data.

I deliberately haven't formatted the new HDD, simply used read-only to get the disk properties using a partitioning program.

Re: "adapter fails to cope with recording 2 whilst playing back 1 or that playbacks always stutter etc" I only wish I could gete that far - I cannot format the disk in the toppy: that's my problem.

Thanks again, Colin
andyfras
Posted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:46 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 25 Jul 2005 Posts: 3090 Location: Fleet, Hampshire (Hannington)
I have used the combination of WD10EARS and Lycom ST-1062 on several Toppies, so something else must be the problem. I suggest trying the 80 wire ribbon in place of the round IDE, as that's what I've always used.

URC-7555 remote: TF5800 1TB with fan, Recommended_5800.tfd + CfPePsScWfZ
co!in
Posted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:57 am Reply with quote
Thanks Andyfras, your experience pays out yet again: I'm up and formatting!

Unfortunately Mystuff installer then bricked my toppy: didn't show up on the telly 5 minutes after completing so I did a soft restart ... and then a power cycle ... and I'm stuck with toppy not responding to remote so I'll reformat under Topfhdrw/doctor and see if that helps.

I'm off sailing 'til late Monday so I'll pursue this then.

Thanks again Andy
Geoff Bacon
Posted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:12 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 11 Jan 2007 Posts: 3120 Location: Bristol ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ Windows XP, USB
@co!in

Initially thought I had a bit of dirt on my screen as your name didn't display properly. When that didn't work, I thought I had a dead pixel.
Looking at your moniker, I see that you are using an exclamation mark.

Nice one!

Geoff

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; QuickJump 1.72; MyInfo B5.6; Font Manager 1.0d; EPG2MEI v0.96; CrashTrace v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; Extend v1.7; WSSkiller V2.12d; SecCache (UK) v0.4; MyStuff 6.5;
Sig generated by MyInfo on 6/9/13
™
leenoble
Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 09 Dec 2005 Posts: 276 Location: Cheshire, UK
This seems to be the most recently active thread relating to HD issues so here goes...

My 5800 (Hardware version 1.01) has started behaving oddly. Playing back files randomly freeze and/or cut out and return to live TV. It's clearly an old machine and I can't honestly remember if I upgraded the HD on it many years ago. But given that I can't even remember, it's a safe bet that the drive is on the way out.

Unfortunately it's about 80% full and every time I try to copy files off of it, it fails part way through.

I looked that the upgrades sticky and the most recent HS recommendation seemed to be from 2010. I'm aware I can't just get any drive I want, so what's the latest recommendation? Do I have to go the SATA route?

I'd like to recover the data from the current drive if at all possible, but the only thing I've got that I might be able to use is an old PowerMac G4 tower which has several IDE connectors free (provided it works plugged into the telly as I no longer have a monitor).

If I go the SATA route for the new HD, could I use an adaptor in the G4 to clone the old drive and then plug that adaptor into the Toppy?

Also, this stuff about capacitors keeps cropping up to scare me. Could that be the issue? How hard is it to replace them? I really don't want to lose my Toppy as it's clear there's never going to be anything on the market to match it.

Cheers
Lee

EPGrt2mei 1.1 & rtsearcher plugin by me for MS description searching.
andyfras
Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 25 Jul 2005 Posts: 3090 Location: Fleet, Hampshire (Hannington)
leenoble wrote:
Also, this stuff about capacitors keeps cropping up to scare me. Could that be the issue? How hard is it to replace them?

The capacitors definitely need replacing, if your forum join date is an indication of the age of your Toppy.

If you can solder, it's a fairly easy DIY job. Otherwise I, or MikeyP, can do the job for you.

Your HDD may be OK once the PSU is repaired.

leenoble
Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 09 Dec 2005 Posts: 276 Location: Cheshire, UK
andyfras wrote:
The capacitors definitely need replacing, if your forum join date is an indication of the age of your Toppy.

If you can solder, it's a fairly easy DIY job. Otherwise I, or MikeyP, can do the job for you.

Your HDD may be OK once the PSU is repaired.

I've never soldered successfully in my life. Never got the knack. What are the logistics of getting you or MikeyP to do it? I'm based in Cheshire FYI.

EPGrt2mei 1.1 & rtsearcher plugin by me for MS description searching.
andyfras
Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:16 pm Reply with quote
PM sent to leenoble.

tfu
Posted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:41 am Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 27 May 2005 Posts: 70 Location: London
Hi,

I have successfully installed a Samsung HD204UI Spinpoint F4 2TB SATA hard drive and Startech IDE to SATA drive mounted adaptor in my Toppy TF5810PVRt. I purchased them from EBuyer (quickfind codes 237908 and 145964). I am using the original IDE cable, and have had no problems.

Before:

Adaptor:

Drive with adaptor:

Job done:

Bizman
Posted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 06 Apr 2010 Posts: 1040 Location: Taunton, Somerset
tfu wrote:
I have successfully installed a Samsung HD204UI Spinpoint F4 2TB SATA hard drive and Startech IDE to SATA drive mounted adaptor in my Toppy TF5810PVRt...... and have had no problems.
It may take a week or so before any show up, especially with 2TB. Best of luck, keep us posted. Smile

PSU Caps 2/2011 Tx: Mendip. TV: Bush L322LED (22"), UPS, DVD-R: Panasonic DMR EH-50, STB: Labgear FV300. PC Acer Aspire One with Win7