Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Firmwares, enhancements and upgrades  ~  What Hard Drive Should I Go For Next In My TF5800PVR?

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2
jof
Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:57 am Reply with quote
faquanto wrote:
HDRW will let me initiate a copy from the Toppy disk to the XP disk but HDRW crashes every time the first copy completes. If I select multiple files to copy, it crashes after the first file completes.

Am I doing something wrong?

You're not doing anything wrong. This happens.

We should be very thankful to Firebird for updating TopfHDRW since he has no interest in it himself anymore and does not even have any hardware to test it with.

Unfortunately, this crash was something I felt I could not push him on to solve, as we had already spent a lot of time getting to that point and he was basically just doing us a favour.

If you PM Firebird he may have one extra go at solving the crash - he is extremely helpful and may have a little more time now.

ccs
Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 30 Oct 2007 Posts: 1866 Location: E Yorkshire Belmont Transmitter
jof wrote:
If you PM Firebird he may have one extra go at solving the crash - he is extremely helpful and may have a little more time now.
I'm sure it's worth a try - I've also found Firebird to be very helpful, and from a purely selfish point of view I'm probably not the only one who would like to see a solution.

ccsx
toothandnail
Posted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 17 Jun 2010 Posts: 72
FireBird wrote:
FYI: I’ve just uploaded an updated version of TopfHDRW, which should handle disks larger than 1TB. “Should” means that I couldn’t do any tests because of missing hardware. jof successfully copied some files from his 1.9TB drive, but this is it and I think it has only be done in the Toppy HD -> PC direction. There is another magic value, which overflows at 2TB (net) and I’m not sure if HDRW can handle these drives. In theory, it should be able to handle disks up to the absolute maximum of the FAT24 file system (4TB – 64MB).

Thanks to jof for taking the risks and testing. Very Happy

Smile I've just downloaded it, going to try it. When I had a look in \Program Files\TopfHRW, I found a whole lot of files with names like this: 20110531 2128 - Cluster_000000_Fixed.bin

Can I remove these? They look as though they may have been generated during a scan.

I'm hoping the new version may give me some chance of recovering from yet another corrupt disk. When I ran the older version (not a very big drive - its a 320 GB unit), TopfHDDDoctor came up with this error:

Code:
Error 9, Subscript out of range.
Procedure: fsck_04_ScanDirectories
LineNumber: 7250
Stack: fsck_04_ScanDirectories: Menu_File_PerformChecks_Click

There are a couple of line numbers repeated, but it makes no real progress beyond the error.

I don't mind reformatting the disk, but there are a lot of recordings on it that I've not seen, and I'm really hoping I may be able to recover them.....

Paul.

andyfras
Posted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 25 Jul 2005 Posts: 3042 Location: Fleet, Hampshire (Hannington)
toothandnail wrote:
Code:

I've never managed to recover a disk with those errors, even with the latest TopfHDDoctor. Formatting has been the only option.

URC-7555 remote: TF5800 1TB with fan, Recommended_5800.tfd + CfPePsScWfZ
toothandnail
Posted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:35 pm Reply with quote
andyfras wrote:
toothandnail wrote:
Code:

I've never managed to recover a disk with those errors, even with the latest TopfHDDoctor. Formatting has been the only option.

Crying or Very sad Oh well, I was hoping....

I'm going to hate losing the contents - spent a month in hospital over Christmas, and haven't got anywhere near catching up with the recordings that were on the machine.

I've been having minor disk corruption problems since DSO, Don't even know what set off the latest instance. The Toppy is great when it works, but this is happening a bit too often.

Paul.

andyfras
Posted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 25 Jul 2005 Posts: 3042 Location: Fleet, Hampshire (Hannington)
toothandnail wrote:
I've been having minor disk corruption problems since DSO, Don't even know what set off the latest instance.

The 2 most likely causes are duplicate channels and/or failing PSU capacitors.

Once a disk has suffered from corruption, even after a TopfHDRW/Doctor fix, sometimes the only way to get it fully back to normal is a reformat.

toothandnail
Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:04 pm Reply with quote
andyfras wrote:
toothandnail wrote:
I've been having minor disk corruption problems since DSO, Don't even know what set off the latest instance.

The 2 most likely causes are duplicate channels and/or failing PSU capacitors.

The PSU was treated to one of your excellent kits a few months ago. No duplicate channels either.

Quote:
Once a disk has suffered from corruption, even after a TopfHDRW/Doctor fix, sometimes the only way to get it fully back to normal is a reformat.

That might be part of the problem then - the disk did suffer from some corruption a few months ago, though I don't know what caused the problem then. The disk was fitted at the same time as I renewed the PSU capacitors.

Sad Just wish there was some way of at least getting to read the disk and recover some of the recordings.

Paul.

per-Sony-fied
Posted: Mon May 07, 2012 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 13 Jan 2007 Posts: 114 Location: Essex
toothandnail wrote:
I'm hoping the new version may give me some chance of recovering from yet another corrupt disk. When I ran the older version (not a very big drive - its a 320 GB unit), TopfHDDDoctor came up with this error:

Code:

There are a couple of line numbers repeated, but it makes no real progress beyond the error.

I don't mind reformatting the disk, but there are a lot of recordings on it that I've not seen, and I'm really hoping I may be able to recover them.....

Paul.

I've had a similar error trying to recover files. I just clicked on "ignore" to allow it to finish it's job and afterwards I clicked on the "match" button which allowed 14 recordings to be recovered which were most of them.

If this allows you to recover some files then TFtool will at least allow you to watch them (if in a very small window) if the Toppy doesn't.
toothandnail
Posted: Thu May 10, 2012 6:53 pm Reply with quote
per-Sony-fied wrote:
toothandnail wrote:

Code:

Paul.

I've had a similar error trying to recover files. I just clicked on "ignore" to allow it to finish it's job and afterwards I clicked on the "match" button which allowed 14 recordings to be recovered which were most of them.

Sad In my case, clicking on ignore simply brings up another error. I have a horrible feeling it will never get to the end...

Quote:
If this allows you to recover some files then TFtool will at least allow you to watch them (if in a very small window) if the Toppy doesn't.

I'll certainly give it another try. I've got a lot more than 14 recordings on the drive, but I'd be reasonable happy if I could recover the new NCIS season that is all on that drive. I do quite often watch recordings on my laptop anyway - VLC does a good job and there are times when the laptop is all I have available.

Paul.

TKH
Posted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:07 pm Reply with quote
FireBird wrote:
FYI: I’ve just uploaded an updated version of TopfHDRW, which should handle disks larger than 1TB.

This link doesn't work anymore. Does anyone know where to get this? Is the one in the R2-D2's site updated version?
ryclark
Posted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 10 Jul 2005 Posts: 1541 Location: Shropshire
The version on R2D2's site is v.0.21 dated 5th. June 2012. Don't know if this is the latest (it's certainly not the original which was v. 0.19) but why not try it anyway.

TKH
Posted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:08 pm Reply with quote
ryclark wrote:
but why not try it anyway.

Unfortunately I can't test it because I don't have a large hard drive yet. I'm only considering getting one, but first I want to be sure that I can find proper tools for it...
andyfras
Posted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:21 pm Reply with quote
This link for V0.21 is currently working:

http://www.topfield.cc/files/Firebird/TopfHDRW_Setup.zip

mstombs
Posted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 31 Dec 2006 Posts: 670
The version linked by R2-D2 on http://www.topfield.cc/files/Firebird/TopfHDRW_Setup.zip is same size as the previous download and a month newer, suspect it is the same just packaged into an installer.