Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Computer connections  ~  Sound Issues converting to MPG with MPEG Streamclip

Page 1 of 1
rjavery
Posted: Fri May 18, 2012 9:04 am Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 06 Dec 2005 Posts: 26 Location: St Albans
Hi, I am archiving some films etc to my windows home server box.

Everything seems fine, Serviio and MyMovies make a great combination and serve up searchable media lists with DVD cover images etc.

The 1 issue I have is that when playing back via DLNA on my Sony TV (2011 model so not too old) the sound it either non existent OR pops in for a fraction of a second here and there.

Playing back on the PC vie Media Centre or Media Player is fine.So I know the sound is there.

Someone has helped me with Serviio and as far as I can tell they forced Serviio to transcode the MPG file and this 'fixes' the sound. I would rather this were fixed without forcing the server to do the extra transcoding every time a file is played back.

I have tried the files on the Sony on a usb stick and file the MPG version will not play back even when I try changing the settings. I get fine sound if I convert to MP4 (but this takes ages and creates a massive file).

I suspect there is some kind of sound encoding error - maybe synchronisation? Recoding seems to fix it and PC players are 'smart' enough to ignore the errors but the Sony is more fussy.

Anyone got any pointers or anything I can try to fix these mpg files for my server?

SonicLife
Posted: Fri May 25, 2012 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 24 Oct 2005 Posts: 1262
Do you know if the NAS can cope with mp2 as a sound file only. It may not know what to properly do with the codec.

However it's more likely it cannot work out how to sync the audio to the video and mutes the audio when it thinks the sync is out, so I would suggest trying a different container, mkv would be best if the NAS supports it. You can convert mpg to mkv using http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkvtoolnix/ this should be quick as it does not re-encode just remux.

Or you could try converting a new toppy recording using one of my scrips.

Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:19 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 06 Dec 2005 Posts: 26 Location: St Albans
SonicLife wrote:
Do you know if the NAS can cope with mp2 as a sound file only. It may not know what to properly do with the codec.

However it's more likely it cannot work out how to sync the audio to the video and mutes the audio when it thinks the sync is out, so I would suggest trying a different container, mkv would be best if the NAS supports it. You can convert mpg to mkv using http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkvtoolnix/ this should be quick as it does not re-encode just remux.

Or you could try converting a new toppy recording using one of my scrips.

Hmm, something odd here as I have replied to this post.

Thanks for the input. I do know the NAS copes with the files as I can play back from a PC just fine.

I have downloaded and tried your scripts - EXCELLENT! Convert with no issues. I am pretty sure MPEG Streamclip is leaving some sort of issue in the sound file that your re-encoding scripts sort out. I think I will use Streamclip to edit the ads out and then save as a ,rec then convert with your scripts.

Cheers