Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Computer connections  ~  Antares-- an Altair replacement for 32-bit & 64-bit Win.

Page 21 of 26
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
neilpercy
Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:11 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 17 Oct 2006 Posts: 220
Hi Henry,

tried Alan's power settings and rebooted - same issue on my combo USB/eSata (USB2.0) and a plain USB2.0, same result, stops copying and becomes unresponsive - cancel button eventually works but Anatres has to be restarted to become usuable again.

If I plug my USB cable into my USB3.0 ports, which are also billed as permanently powered for charging etc, then Anatres works just fine, copies in both modes. So the power theory seems to have legs.

when I tried to install drivers with zadig it couldn't see any devices connected so wouldn't let me install the driver. I did it manually from device manager (?) and ended up with scenario below -

I'll give altair a bash soon,

ta

neil

TAPs: (EIT Sub v0.6 SnG); Goldfish 0.5; MyStuff 6.4; Tap Launcher 3.10; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EPG2MEI v0.96; TAP Commander 1.34; Extend v1.7; Skip 1.34a (TF5800PVR); MHEG On/Off A3; mei2archive BETA 3.8l7; MyInfo B5.6; FFWD v0.7; TSSaver v0.5;
Sig generated by MyInfo™ on 14/10/11
ccs
Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 30 Oct 2007 Posts: 1908 Location: E Yorkshire Belmont Transmitter
I've found a minor issue with Antares which doesn't happen in Altair.

If I copy a log file (which is open for writing by a Tap) to my pc (win7 64bit), the destination file is truncated. eg 468Kb on the toppy becomes 445Kb.
If I try again, the file already exists dialogue suggests I select "resume", which results in the destination file being truncated even further to 432Kb.
Repeats result in 424Kb and then 416Kb destination files.
Selecting "overwrite" rather than "resume" gives the 445Kb file.

There is a workaround by booting Tapless (or using Altair). I just need to remember. Smile

ccsx
qubits
Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 26 May 2010 Posts: 164 Location: Australia
ccs wrote:
If I copy a log file (which is open for writing by a Tap) to my pc (win7 64bit), the destination file is truncated. eg 468Kb on the toppy becomes 445Kb.

Interesting. Thanks for letting me know about it.
I just made a quick attempt to reproduce it, but I couldn't. Probably the taps I use don't leave their log files open for writing.
Would it be possible for you to please save Antares' verbose output to a file, while reproducing the problem, and send it to me? You just need to run Antares from the command line like this:

antares.exe /verbose > output.txt

...then use Antares to attempt the transfer (and maybe attempt to resume once or twice), then close Antares. Could you please email the output file to debug@haselgrove.id.au ? Thanks!

Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 30 Oct 2007 Posts: 1908 Location: E Yorkshire Belmont Transmitter
Log sent.

ccsx
qubits
Posted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:59 am Reply with quote
ccs,

Thanks for sending the logs!

I think the problem is as follows. When Antares receives a file from the PVR, it knows how many bytes to expect, because the size of the file is specified in the directory listing. If Antares receives more bytes than it expects, it truncates the file at the expected size, and throws the extra bytes away.

When I originally wrote the PVR->PC part of Antares I must have assumed that receiving too many bytes would always be a sign of a transfer error, so throwing away the extra bytes probably seemed like a reasonable thing to do at the time. You seem to have discovered that if a file on the PVR is open for writing then its size in the directory listing is not necessarily correct. So, it would be better if Antares were to accept whatever number of bytes it actually receives, rather than blindly believing the directory listing.

Anyway, here is a link to a test version that contains such a modification: antares_1_0_test5.zip. Would you be able to tell me whether this stops the problem ocuring? Thanks.

Posted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:53 pm Reply with quote
qubits wrote:
Anyway, here is a link to a test version that contains such a modification: antares_1_0_test5.zip. Would you be able to tell me whether this stops the problem ocuring? Thanks.
That looks fine, I'm now seeing the last record written to the log file. Many thanks.

ccsx
qubits
Posted: Tue May 15, 2012 11:16 am Reply with quote
Hi everyone,

Antares version 1.1 is now available. Here is the direct link: antares_1_1.zip.

The changes from version 1.0 are:
-- added the ability to view MyStuff programme descriptions
-- added two new functions to the command-line interface
-- tweaked the firmware updater, and
-- made a couple of minor bug-fixes.

The two new command-line functions are “rm” (to delete files or folders on the PVR or PC), and “info” (to display the programme information stored in .rec files on the PVR or PC). For example, to create a text file describing every recording on your PVR, just run “antares info tf:\*.rec -r > recording.txt”. The info command also has the option to output to CSV format, suitable for loading into a spreadsheet program. See the Antares command-line options page for more information.

Antares will now display the same programme descriptions that MyStuff v6.4 displays (as stored in the file MyStuff_RecordedInfo.dat) instead of the programme descriptions stored in the .rec file headers. This change affects all three of the ways that Antares displays programme information: the window that appears when you double-click a file, the tool-tip text that appears when you hover the mouse over certain columns, and the output of the “info” command-line option.

If a .rec file contains multiple programmes recorded in succession, using the MyStuff descriptions gives the advantage of being able to display the details of all of the programmes contained in the file. By comparison, the .rec file header only ever contains the description of at most one programme.

Antares will only use the MyStuff descriptions from the currently-plugged-in PVR. So, I haven’t yet implemented the advanced version of what andy___ was suggesting (like, automatically transferring MyStuff information from one PVR to another when you do a transfer).

I’ve changed the firmware updater a bit. I’ve made the on-screen instructions and error messages a bit more informative. For example, if you try to install the wrong firmware to your PVR, the error message will now display the System ID and model name of your PVR as well as that of the PVR which the firmware was designed for. While on the subject of the firmware updating feature... back in January Doct0r and I did a whole heap of experiments to try to work out why Antares has problems updating firmware on a 5800. I’ll write about what we learnt in a separate post soon. In short, it might not be a problem with Antares per se, but rather with doing a USB firmware update on a machine that has the Sy patch installed.

Enjoy!

Posted: Sat May 19, 2012 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 03 Sep 2011 Posts: 47 Location: Stirling
Thanks qubits for all your hard work.

I downloaded and had a play around with version 1.1 this afternoon.

I'm pleased to report the new version is excellent. I have 1400 recordings on my main toppy and Antares now displays the correct information for each one. Those include double and triple merged, back-to-back recordings which were not displaying properly in 1.0.

I had a go with the command line options too. I’m a bit of a novice on the command line but I managed to get it working once I remembered to put in quotation marks. I’ll copy the details below in case other readers are, like me, appreciative of reminders of the basics on the command line.

I got the text files generated both with and without the comma separated values (csv) option switched on. I imported the files into M$ Excel to and converted the single column to multiple with a couple of clicks. I was initially worried that the commas in the header information would be a problem as MyStuff uses “|” as the separator but there wasn’t a problem.

I also ran the command line version for my toppy rec files on an external hard drive. These are mostly okay but have a very occasional problem with the odd file where Antares must be reading the file header rather than a MyStuff data file since it’s not on the external drive as was pointed out above.

This is great if like me you want to be able to search through the headers for material. I have colleagues at work who should find it very useful to know what educational recordings we have which are available in the department.

Thanks again qubits.

Andy

I found this site good to remind myself of the basics of command line.

http://commandwindows.com/command1.htm
I’m sure a lot of the readers on this forum are a lot more tech savvy than me but if you’re as green as me the following might be useful.

"C:\MYLOCALPATHTOANTARES\antares.exe" info tf:\*.rec -r -csv >> "C:\MYLOCALPATHTOSAVEDFILE\Toppy\allrecordingsCSV.txt"

"C:\MYLOCALPATHTOANTARES\antares.exe" info E:\*.rec -r -csv >> "C:\MYLOCALPATHTOSAVEDFILE\Toppy\allrecordingsCSV.txt"

Obviously C is my main drive, tf is the toppy, E is my external drive and the >> is used instead of the > to append the data so the resulting spreadsheet has information about all the videos no matter which drive they’re on.

™ 2TB HDD, 12V fan with series resistor, Harmony 555 remote. DigitalStream HD PVR. W8 x64
cjketle
Posted: Sat May 19, 2012 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Also thanks, looks good.

Throws up an anomaly which I haven't noticed before that may be a MyStuff issue. A lot of programme descriptions are of the form

Episode name: Further description......

Mystuff and Antares set to Mystuff mode don't show the part before the colon whereas the native interface & TFRecedit do. Is the episode name coming from somewhere else, or is something parsing out characters before the colon?

Chris K

juwlz
Posted: Sat May 19, 2012 7:10 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10359 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
andy___ wrote:
I got the text files generated both with and without the comma separated values (csv) option switched on. I imported the files into M$ Excel to and converted the single column to multiple with a couple of clicks.

"C:\MYLOCALPATHTOANTARES\antares.exe" info tf:\*.rec -r -csv >> "C:\MYLOCALPATHTOSAVEDFILE\Toppy\allrecordingsCSV.txt"

"C:\MYLOCALPATHTOANTARES\antares.exe" info E:\*.rec -r -csv >> "C:\MYLOCALPATHTOSAVEDFILE\Toppy\allrecordingsCSV.txt"
You'll find that if you give the csv files the file suffix .csv instead of .txt, Excel (or any other spreadsheet) will know what to expect and prompt you to do the right thing with them when you open them, making it a little easier.

Julie

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
andy___
Posted: Sun May 20, 2012 12:44 am Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 03 Sep 2011 Posts: 47 Location: Stirling
juwlz wrote:
You'll find that if you give the csv files the file suffix .csv instead of .txt, Excel (or any other spreadsheet) will know what to expect and prompt you to do the right thing with them when you open them, making it a little easier.

Thanks for that Julie. I should have read http://haselgrove.id.au/antares/commandline.html more carefully. I'd never come across .csv before.

I've now tried a number of different extensions and agree with you that csv is the best option. That extension opens cleanly in both Apache Open Office and Excel. Open Office's own format .ods also works with that program but .xlsx doesn't open cleanly with either. Surprisingly .xls opens quite cleanly with OOo but not with Excel. I'll probably go with .csv and adjust the column widths before passing the information on to my collegues.

So it's csv for me providing my work's machines are set to open it with Excel by default. That's a lot better than .txt which is likely to open with notepad by default.

Andy

What I now think I ought to have written above is:

"C:\MYLOCALPATHTOANTARES\antares.exe" info tf:\*.rec -r -csv >> "C:\MYLOCALPATHTOSAVEDFILE\allrecordings.csv"

"C:\MYLOCALPATHTOANTARES\antares.exe" info E:\*.rec -r -csv >> "C:\MYLOCALPATHTOSAVEDFILE\allrecordings.csv"

I told you I am not good on the command line. I bet someone who is, could suggest further improvements.

Last edited by andy___ on Mon May 21, 2012 6:58 am; edited 3 times in total

™ 2TB HDD, 12V fan with series resistor, Harmony 555 remote. DigitalStream HD PVR. W8 x64
juwlz
Posted: Sun May 20, 2012 9:34 am Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10359 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
andy___ wrote:
So it's csv for me providing my work's machines are set to open it with Excel by default.
They certainly should be, unless somebody's tweaked them. Almost any spreadsheet app (Excel, OpenOffice, etc) will associate itself with .csv files on installation as well as its own native file types.

Julie

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
nvingo
Posted: Mon May 28, 2012 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 07 Jul 2010 Posts: 102 Location: Norfolk
qubits.
I'm currently getting unable to connect on all of the Antares links.
Is anyone else similarly affected?

alan_m
Posted: Mon May 28, 2012 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 17 Oct 2006 Posts: 3195 Location: Southchurch Village, Southend-on-Sea
nvingo wrote:
qubits.

They all apper to be working for me Monday 28th May, 21:30
http://haselgrove.id.au/antares/index.html

nvingo
Posted: Tue May 29, 2012 11:00 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 07 Jul 2010 Posts: 102 Location: Norfolk
alan_m wrote:
nvingo wrote:
qubits.

They all apper to be working for me Monday 28th May, 21:30
http://haselgrove.id.au/antares/index.html
Weird. Thanks Alan.
Still unable to access from laptop or smartphone through TalkTalk landline broadband, but smartphone on 3g is fine. Will see if I can download 1.1 via that.

Edit.
Weirder. Downloaded via 3g, transferred to laptop OK.
Tried the links again via the landline broadband and is all working Confused