Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  MyStuff  ~  Recordings listed as bad files in 6.4

Page 1 of 1
per-Sony-fied
Posted: Mon May 07, 2012 11:03 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 13 Jan 2007 Posts: 114 Location: Essex
I've noticed that after recovering lost recordings which I believe was down to a rubbish signal whilst recording at the time that MyStuff lists them as bad files with 0MB of data and are not playable. Whilst using the native toppy interface they are.

My question is..... why is this so? There are a few bits of info missing from them, such as recording duration and description, whilst I can add a description I can't see how to add the recording duration from TopfHDRW/HDDoctor and TFtool I used to recover the files. More so why are they listed as 0MB?
juwlz
Posted: Mon May 07, 2012 4:39 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10381 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
MS uses a number of criteria to decide whether a recording is "bad". I'll ask BobD what they are.

Julie

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
BobD
Posted: Mon May 07, 2012 7:14 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 03 Aug 2005 Posts: 4198 Location: Nottingham
MS will list a file as being bad if:

1) It is too small (less than 0.75 * 1024 * 1024 bytes)

Or

2) The recording header does not start with the magic TFrc

Or

3) The duration is not set in byte 8 and byte 9

MyStuff skins, manual and latest version: http://www.BobDsMyStuff.co.uk
Known bugs & forthcoming fixes: http://www.BobDsMyStuff.co.uk/Bugs.shtml
Changes coming in the next version: http://www.BobDsMyStuff.co.uk/NextVersion.shtml
juwlz
Posted: Mon May 07, 2012 7:44 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10381 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
As the native archive reports it correctly, presumably it's ignoring whatever it is that's not right, so my money's on option 2 (or maybe 3) in this case then.

It might be worth trying RecFixer on the affected files to see if that sorts out the necessary bits of the header.

Julie

per-Sony-fied
Posted: Mon May 07, 2012 8:25 pm Reply with quote
My money is on the record duration missing. I selected "add rec header" to each recording in TopfHDRW.

I will try Recfixer next time I have the Toppy (my sisters) apart. Sure that won't be long lol. It's now back in its rightful spot. I've told her to use the native Toppy interface to access those files.

It seems TopfHDRW is insufficient in repairing files to MS standard?
Laser
Posted: Tue May 08, 2012 11:53 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 10 Jan 2008 Posts: 406
Some files I converted using MPEG Streamclip (from mpeg2 to rec) show up as "bad files" in MyStuff. Not all of them though! Confused They all play fine. I assumed it was because MyStuff didn't put them there, but this thread suggests that may not be the case.

Is there anything I should do to avoid this in future?

per-Sony-fied
Posted: Tue May 08, 2012 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Laser wrote:
Some files I converted using MPEG Streamclip (from mpeg2 to rec) show up as "bad files" in MyStuff. Not all of them though! Confused They all play fine. I assumed it was because MyStuff didn't put them there, but this thread suggests that may not be the case.

Here's what happened. My sis set her Toppy to record overnight and on that night weather conditions were such that many channels were lost and for day or two later. This resulted in all her recorded programs and MyStuff go missing from the hard drive. Only the Toppy interface was usable.

I removed the HD from the machine and connected it to my pc to see what state it was in using TopfHDRW and HD doctor. TopfHDRW "found" (they were seeable) the missing recordings but they were all except 1 or 2 listed as 0MB of data. I therefore did a repair using HD doctor, this found some bad sectors which could not be rectified but also found and recovered several recordings with XX MB of data to them. I then checked these in TFtool to see if they were playable, of which they were. This also gave me enough info to give the recordings a title, rather than "recovered 001" etc.

Without Mystuff installed I then reconnected the HD back to the Toppy to see if they would play on the TV, some would some wouldn't, mainly those that were not recovered (still intact) played. I expected this was because these had a time duration but was not the case. It turned out to be that these had a "TV" tag and the rest had a "others" tag.

Once I got them working I reinstalled Mystuff it was only then they (the recovered recordings) got chucked into a MyStuff Bad files folder with 0MB of data.
juwlz
Posted: Tue May 08, 2012 9:25 pm Reply with quote
per-Sony-fied wrote:
Once I got them working I reinstalled Mystuff it was only then they (the recovered recordings) got chucked into a MyStuff Bad files folder with 0MB of data.
Just for the record, the MyStuff "Bad files" folder doesn't really exist. It's just a way of identifying those recordings that don't meet the criteria listed above for a "good" recording. The files still physically reside wherever the native UI says they are.

If you fix whichever bit of the file header is making MS think they are "bad", it will start to show them in their normal place (i.e. whichever folder - if any - they're filed in).

Julie