Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Computer connections  ~  TopManager V4.9

Page 19 of 33
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
Geoff Bacon
Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 11 Jan 2007 Posts: 3117 Location: Bristol ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ Windows XP, USB
@alan_m

Many thanks for that; I'll pass it on to EMJB

Geoff

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; QuickJump 1.72; MyInfo B5.6; Font Manager 1.0d; EPG2MEI v0.96; CrashTrace v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; Extend v1.7; WSSkiller V2.12d; SecCache (UK) v0.4; MyStuff 6.5;
Sig generated by MyInfo on 6/9/13
™
alan_m
Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 17 Oct 2006 Posts: 3200 Location: Southchurch Village, Southend-on-Sea
Geoff Bacon wrote:
@alan_m

Many thanks for that; I'll pass it on to EMJB

Geoff

It looks as if my Toppy doesn't like anything to do with PCControl now Sad

Removed all TAPs from Auto Start except PCControl - problem remains

Cold Boot (power off) - only PCControl in Auto Start - problem remains

Deleted PCControl - Cold Boot - re-installed PCControl + firmware.dat - problem remains.

Problem seen with or without the USB cable physically connected to the back of Toppy.

With PCControl removed and all other TAPs copied back my Toppy works as expected. TopManager/Antares/rt2mei.bat all connect and transfer data via USB without problems.

billmars
Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 17 Sep 2005 Posts: 750 Location: Hull
Geoff Bacon wrote:
Is TopManager running when you get these VF&F's (I'm trying to establish whether or not TM is sending something to the toppy as soon as it detects the connection or whether the tap is causing the crash without commands from TM).
In my case TopManager was not running when both machines were constantly rebooting (PcControl was in Auto Start). Starting PcControl from Program Files after taking it out of Auto Start was causing VF&F (TopManager not connected).

As I said before, I think after initially installing PcControl on both machines in Auto Start, upon a reboot all was OK. It was only after I had used ToManager with both machines that the VF&F and loop reboots occurred.

I'm thinking that TopManager may be writing something to the Topfield it doesn't like. Could it possibly be one PcControl option that's the problem (I think I tried them all) i.e. not everyone is reporting this problem because not everyone has tried all options.

I will try removing all evidence of PcControl (and associated files created by TopManager), reinstall and see what happens. This may not be tonight!

5800 Samsung 1Tb Autostart TAPs: Extend 1.7;TSRCommander 1.5;TF5000 Display 1.53;EPG2MEI 0.95;MyStuff 6.6;QuickJump 1.72;Power Down 0.75;SecCache 0.4;TSSaver 0.4;MHEG Control B2;eit_sub_sng 0.6 Transmitter: Belmont Extras: as2mei (via NSLU2)
Geoff Bacon
Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 11 Jan 2007 Posts: 3117 Location: Bristol ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ Windows XP, USB
@billmars

When installing the tap, I simply copy it to the Auto Start directory.
When it runs, it creates a \ProgramFiles\PcControl folder; all PcControl files should be in this folder

i.e. to remove, delete the tap and the folder.

Cheers
Geoff

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; QuickJump 1.72; MyInfo B5.6; Font Manager 1.0d; EPG2MEI v0.96; CrashTrace v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; Extend v1.7; WSSkiller V2.12d; SecCache (UK) v0.4; MyStuff 6.5;
™
alan_m
Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 17 Oct 2006 Posts: 3200 Location: Southchurch Village, Southend-on-Sea
Geoff Bacon wrote:
delete the tap and the folder.

On my machine Top Manager and Antares fails to remove the PCCfolder
TopManger says the folder isn't empty - although showing nothing in it
Antares just fails to delete the folder and also refuses to enter it.

I used Antares previously to delete the contents of the folder.

It appears that it may be the folder itself, or maybe a hidden file within it, that is corrupt.

I've forced a VF&F by removing mains whilst in chase play AND now the whole content of Program Files, except the Auto Start folder has gone missing Sad Sad Sad Sad

billmars
Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 17 Sep 2005 Posts: 750 Location: Hull
Geoff Bacon wrote:
@billmars

When installing the tap, I simply copy it to the Auto Start directory.
When it runs, it creates a \ProgramFiles\PcControl folder; all PcControl files should be in this folder

i.e. to remove, delete the tap and the folder.

Cheers
Geoff
Yes I'm up with all this!
Just did the above and reinstalled PcControl in Auto Start. Upon restart of the Topfield got a VF&F. Moved it to Program Files, manually started it - VF&F. Tried it in Auto Start and Program files (with manual start) with about six restarts, had three or four VF&F, but not every time. All this without TopManager connected. Very inconclusive and seemingly random.
alan_m wrote:

On my machine Top Manager and Antares fails to remove the PCCfolder
TopManger says the folder isn't empty - although showing nothing in it
Antares just fails to delete the folder and also refuses to enter it.

I used Antares previously to delete the contents of the folder.

It appears that it may be the folder itself, or maybe a hidden file within it, that is corrupt.

I've forced a VF&F by removing mains whilst in chase play AND now the whole content of Program Files, except the Auto Start folder has gone missing
I saw some very odd folders and folder structures; duplicate folders and folders I couldn't delete with Filezilla. I thought it was something that had happened ages ago and I hadn't noticed it, but what you're saying makes me wonder.....

5800 Samsung 1Tb Autostart TAPs: Extend 1.7;TSRCommander 1.5;TF5000 Display 1.53;EPG2MEI 0.95;MyStuff 6.6;QuickJump 1.72;Power Down 0.75;SecCache 0.4;TSSaver 0.4;MHEG Control B2;eit_sub_sng 0.6 Transmitter: Belmont Extras: as2mei (via NSLU2)
machare
Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 14 Jun 2005 Posts: 111
Following the 4.0.2 update I no longer get the "Access violation" problem - thank you.

TopManger running on my Windows 7 PC now connects to my TF5800 via an NSLU2 OK. However I still get:

"Establishing connection to PCControl tap; Please wait ...
Failed to retrieve \ProgramFiles\Settings\Freeview.dat
<<< SendCommandAndWait: Error returned by FetchToppyFile
<<< Failed to establish connection to the tap; please check that it is running

The PCControl tap is in the autostart folder so I presume that it is running (after a reboot). Is there anything that I can do to circumvent this problem?

TF5800, IA On, TS On, F/W: 5.13.65T 14/4/2009 +CwOtTd
TAPs: Power Manager v1.2; Jag's EPG v3.0 Beta 5 (Freeware Edition); PcControl X25a; MyInfo B5.6;
Geoff Bacon
Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:22 pm Reply with quote
@machare

As you can see by reading this thread, several users are experiencing similar symptoms and some have crashes etc. It is highly likely that what we implement to resolve their problems will fix yours as well.

In the meantime, you can continue to use TopManager; just don't access the PcControl Menus.

Note: It would be helpful if you could use TopManager to post a forum signature (Tools|Update Forum Profile); that way, we would at least have an idea of what you are running.

Geoff

™
Geoff Bacon
Posted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone who has experienced problems with the PcControl tap have the capability of capturing output on a serial interface?

If so, are you willing to run a diagnostic version of PcControl to help us diagnose the cause?.

Cheers
Geoff

™
machare
Posted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Geoff Bacon wrote:
Note: It would be helpful if you could use TopManager to post a forum signature (Tools|Update Forum Profile); that way, we would at least have an idea of what you are running.

Display/MyInfo Log is greyed out so I don't think I can do that. (?)

I am running Jags_EPG.tap, PowerManager.tap and PcControl.tap
(Not My Stuff)

HTH

TAPs: Power Manager v1.2; Jag's EPG v3.0 Beta 5 (Freeware Edition); PcControl X25a; MyInfo B5.6;
ccs
Posted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 30 Oct 2007 Posts: 1930 Location: E Yorkshire Belmont Transmitter
machare wrote:
Geoff Bacon wrote:

Display/MyInfo Log is greyed out so I don't think I can do that. (?)

I am running Jags_EPG.tap, PowerManager.tap and PcControl.tap
(Not My Stuff)

HTH
..... (Not MyInfo) Smile

ccsx
Geoff Bacon
Posted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:53 pm Reply with quote
@machare

1) Tools| Install Files| MyInfo
2) Reboot and wait 2 minutes
3) Display| MyInfo Log
4) Tools| Update Forum Profile

If you don't want to keep MyInfo in Auto Start:-
5) Connection | Browse
6) Double Click on Auto Start
7) Select MyInfo.tap with mouse and drag to another folder e.g. \ProgramFiles in the left pane

Geoff

™
machare
Posted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:43 pm Reply with quote
@Geoff Bacon

Thank you.

How might one capture output on a serial interface?

Is this the port on the Toppy?

Last edited by machare on Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

nvingo
Posted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 07 Jul 2010 Posts: 102 Location: Norfolk
billmars wrote:
OK, accepting what you say but what is the difference between the Topfield outputting 4:3 and 16:9 (the setting I have)? Doesn't this determine the final TV aspect ratio?
If the Topfield is set to output 16x9, it builds the image with all of the pixels. This will appear correct on a 16x9 screen but on a 4x3 screen objects will appear too tall.
If it is set to 4x3 the image is built leaving off some pixels at the start and end of every line. If this is displayed on a 16x9 screen objects appear too wide.
Or the 'letterbox' option which leaves out complete lines regularly throughout the image and fills the vacated top and bottom with black lines.

The Topfield can also tell the TV via a voltage signal in the scart connection, which format it is using so that a 'widescreen compatible' TV (which may have a 4x3 screen) can apply its own user preference.

™
Geoff Bacon
Posted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:48 am Reply with quote
@machare
Quote:
[size=10]TF5800, IA On, TS On, F/W: 5.13.65T 14/4/2009 +CwOtTd

Your signature isn't quite correct as it doesn't have a closing [/size] at the end (as shown by the opening one). This indicates that you pasted the signature into the forum profile; the easiest way is to press the Build button on the "Tools| Update Forum Profile" page; then check any items you want in the signature. Using TopManager means that it will monitor the signature whenever it displays MyInfo Log and, if necessary, remind you to update it.

A serial interface used to be the standard method of connecting slow devices (printers, keyboard entry etc) to a computer. Modern computers are shipped without one because such devices are more commonly connected using USB. The toppy has a serial port (back "bottom" right when viewed from back). To collect output from this you would need:
1) A computer with a serial interface (if not built in, USB ones can be boght quite cheaply on eBay; they typically have a "male" connector)
2) a RS232 cable to connect the PC to the toppy (commonly called a null modem cable, again, cheap on ebay). Assuming a male connector at the pc end, the cable should have two female connectors
3) Some software to capture the data on the pc; I am using a package called RealTerm (free download)

I suspect you don't have a seral interface already on your pc so it is up to you whether or not you won't to go to the expense of buying bits.

Cheers
Geoff

™