Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  MyStuff  ~  Editing a recording fails

Page 1 of 1
rosso
Posted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 10 Jan 2009 Posts: 265 Location: Hastings
Wishing to save a few minutes of a recording I pressed Play for the progress bar. Pressing the White button I got an increasing space on the prog. bar ('red marker will start flashing between red and blue' -where? I saw nothing but then I'm colour blind but not that much).
So far so good, perhaps. To trim the wanted section I used the left and right arrows OK. Then pressing the Blue button did nothing.

Starting again by stopping the play back and restarting the playback and progress bar this time pressing the White button did nothing and continues to do nothing after many re-trys.

Can anyone please advise? Thanks.

juwlz
Posted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:24 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10338 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
Try CutAds. Put bookmarks at the start and end of the section you want (and make sure there are no other bookmarks, and that they're at least 2 minutes apart), play the recording, and run CutAds.

Julie

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
rosso
Posted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 10 Jan 2009 Posts: 265 Location: Hastings
Thanks for that but to be sure:-

I wish to save about 3 minutes from an hour long programme. Using CutAds placing bookmarks at the beginning and end of that section will cut out that section. Where will I find that to place it in an archive folder to be later viewed?

I don't need accurate editing for this procedure.

juwlz
Posted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:03 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10338 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
No. The assumption is that you'll want to top and tail the recording, and also cut out Ads in the middle. If there are only 2 bookmarks, it will just top and tail (i.e. remove the beginning and end, and keep the middle).

And anyway, you can always use JoinAds if necessary to recover back to the original. The bits you cut out (and the data file that CutAds creates to be able to stick it all back together again) will still exist on the Toppy.

Julie

MikB
Posted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:20 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 23 Sep 2006 Posts: 238 Location: West Midlands
rosso wrote:
Pressing the White button I got an increasing space on the prog. bar ('red marker will start flashing between red and blue' -where? I saw nothing but then I'm colour blind but not that much).

I'm not sure what you mean by "an increasing space" ... the marker that you are looking for is that pixel thin line (vertically) within the yellow progress bar. Instead of being a solid (indescribable) dark colour, it flashes when you engaged in "editing" mode, and when you start moving around with the < > buttons, you will start selecting a big blue area of video.

Quote:
pressing the Blue button did nothing.

I find the editing interface to be a bit hit and miss. Sometimes you get the progress bar up, hit white, move - it doesn't lassoo a piece of video even though it's flashing. Try again, this time it lassoos it, go to hit blue, progress bar vanishes before you press it.

It's as if there's an errant timeout that fires and says "Too slow!" and yanks it away. Swearing at it usually fixes this, although I can't explain why.

It's not a TAP interfering, in my case, as I don't have any quickjump/other TAPS loaded that might clobber normal operation.

TF5800, IA On, TS On, F/W: 5.13.65BfBqCeCyEcErEsFGmHMhNfPPcPfRRpSSrT2XpXw
TAPs: DescriptionExtender 2.1; MeiSearch 1.30; EPG Clean V1.01 Dev Version; FixMHEGLeak V1.00; EPGnavigator v5.1c; MyInfo B5.6;
Sig generated by MyInfo on 6/10/13
juwlz
Posted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:49 pm Reply with quote
MikB wrote:
I find the editing interface to be a bit hit and miss.
That's why I long since stopped using it and use CutAds/CutFile instead if I want to do any editing. In combination with the Bm, Cf and Ct patches, editing is SO much easier (AND reversible using JoinAds/JoinFile if you get it wrong).

Julie