Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Bugs  ~  Spurious BBC1 recordings when using series link

Page 1 of 1
Barry42
Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Following the digital re-tune my TF5800 (SW Ver 5.14.09T) has started programming BBC1 recordings that mirror a series-linked programme: same time and duration but programme name is "BBC1". This prevents a second recording being programmed as the toppy thinks two programmes are already being recorded.

Possibly related to this, when a clash of recordings occur when programming, the clash error message is no longer displayed.

I don't have any duplicated BBC1 channels.

Has anyone seen anything similar or have any ideas how to resolve this?

Barry
juwlz
Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:25 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10344 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
Are you by any chance getting your signals from the Rowridge transmitter on the Isle of Wight? If so, that confirms the theory that the problem occurs on a 5800 running Freeview+ firmware (5.14.xx) as well as on 5810s.

There's a 10 page thread about the problem.

Julie

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
Barry42
Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Yes, Rowridge it is.
juwlz
Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:17 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10344 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
Just call me psychic Wink.

One solution would be to install the recommended (non-Freeview+) firmware. This will allow you to set timers, but will remove the native SeriesLink functionality. (NB: If you do this, you must Factory Reset afterwards, or different types of weirdness will ensue.) My Parents' Toppy which also gets it signal from Rowridge is running 5.13.65T firmware and MyStuff, and doesn't get this problem.

You can add TAPs such as the MyStuff suite to get a better Series Link and a whole lot more functionality, which will transform your Toppy (see ** Everything you ever wanted to know about MyStuff ** and the YouTube video if you fancy taking this route.

You could wait until 18th April to see if it gets better or worse, or you may find that changing your aerial to point vertically and attenuating out the weaker horizontal signals might work.

At the moment, we don't really know what the root cause is. We can only identify that the Toppy's getting two lots of EPG data for TV channels on one of the muxes, which causes the problem you're seeing because of shortcuts taken in the Freeview+ firmware that you're running.

Julie

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
Barry42
Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Julie,

thanks. I was thinking of seeing what happens after the next re-tune. One of my colleagues also mentioned changing the aerial position to get vertical polarisation - that will be my last resort.

Having said I had removed duplicate channels, I did find a duplicate "Big Deal" channel, which is now deleted. Will monitor thinks and let you know.

Barry