Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  MyStuff  ~  MS6.4 install problems

Page 1 of 1
limax
Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:57 pm Reply with quote
A couple of weeks ago I upgraded my 5800 from MS 5.62 to 6.4, using the MS installer and including relevant firmware. All went smoothly so yesterday I did the same upgrade to my Mum's 5800T - this didn't go quite so smoothly.

When the Toppy is powered up it installs the firmware, appears to complete successfully, reboots, installs the firmware, appears to complete successfully, reboots, etc, etc. I can stop this by moving FwLoad out of Auto Start.

Now I find that MyInfo runs (because it is in Auto Start), but displays on the screen (which it shouldn't from Auto Start), and usually hangs on the final screen and won't respond to any key pressed so I have to power off. I have of course got round this by moving it out of Autostart. Running it manually it doesn't seem to hang.

I have tried system reset and reinstalling firmware (both with and without reinstalling MyStuff) but nothing has helped.

I did the original 6.4 install without a TV connected and I think I may have powered off the Toppy before it had finished. I'm now at a loss to know what to do.

Here's My Info output:
MyInfo B5.6 Logging settings etc on: 1/3/2012 at 17:34

Ini file found
System ID: 458
TV Output: Type = Auto, Video = RGB, RF Channel = 36
Reported firmware version: TF-NPT 5.13.65T dated Oct 10 2009
Base firmware version: 5.13.65

Running TAPS:
Slot 0: EPG2MEI v0.96 : Dumps the EPG data to disk as EPG.mei, with changes since last time in EPG_diff.mei
Slot 1: MyStuff 6.4 : UI Replacement
Slot 2: Extend v1.7 : Uses the Accurate Recording info to extend recordings (safely)
Slot 3: SecCache (UK) v0.4 : Optimal (UK) section caching to reduce the load on the Toppy
Slot 4: EIT Sub (Game) v0.6 : Provides faster, simpler and more robust EIT data collection, except when playing games
Slot 5: MHEG On/Off A3 : MHEG control
Slot 6: MyInfo B5.6 : Displays & records Toppy basic info
Slots 7 - 15 not used

Installed patch list:- Ab Bf Bq Ce Ck Cp Cw Cy De Ec Ee Ef Ep Er Es F Gm H He Kt Mh Nf Ot P Pc R Ra Re Rh Rp Rs S Sd Sl Sr St T2 Td Te Tf Tp Ts Vr Xp Xw Xl
Firmware MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 modified thus: -Fm
Patch Decode Links - Will explain your patches:
MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 :- http://www.toppy.org.uk/~simonc/dp.html?p=AbBfBqCeCkCpCwCyDeEcEeEfEpErEsFGmHHeKtMhNfOtPPcRRaReRhRpRsSSdSlSrStT2TdTeTfTpTsVrXpXwXl
Missing patches:- http://www.toppy.org.uk/~simonc/dp.html?p=Fm

Time Mode set to Auto
Time Offset set to Auto

Found 34 TV channels and 5 Radio channels
No channel problems detected
LCNs of programme channels found on Tx Ch 39 are: 12, 15, 18, 24, 85, 89,
LCNs of programme channels found on Tx Ch 42 are: 10, 27, 30, 31, 38, 44,
LCNs of programme channels found on Tx Ch 43 are: 1, 2, 7, 9, 80, 81, 105, 301, 702, 703, 704, 707, 708,
LCNs of programme channels found on Tx Ch 45 are: 11, 19, 25, 29, 46, 82,
LCNs of programme channels found on Tx Ch 46 are: 3, 4, 5, 6, 13, 14, 28, 33,

Interactive Off
Timeshift Off

Memory - Free: 18 MB, Available: 18 MB
Disk - Total: 190 GB, Free: 117 GB

68 recordings (77 GB) + 0 deleted (0 GB) in 1 folders (+ 0 empty folders)

Time since boot: 0:0:0 (d:h:m)

Suggested signature for Toppy forum - copy following lines to signature block at http://forum.toppy.org.uk/forum/profile.php?mode=editprofile
[size=10][b]TF5800t[/b], F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 -Fm
[b]TAPs:[/b] EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.4; Extend v1.7; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; MHEG On/Off A3; MyInfo B5.6;
Sig generated by [url=http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/emjbtaps/MyInfo/MyInfo.zip]MyInfo[/url] on 1/3/12[/size]

John
Geoff Bacon
Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 11 Jan 2007 Posts: 3020 Location: Bristol ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ Windows XP, USB
What firmware was your Mum using before the upgrade? You sometimes need to do a factory reset when the firmware is changed (I'm not sure if it is also necessary when going from MyStuuf 5.62 to 6.*)

MyInfo typically hangs when the disk file structure has been compromised (it checks the size of the recordings and, if one loops back on itself, never completes). However, as I understood it, it does this silently rather than showing itself on screen.

Anyway, suggest you move MyInfo out of Auto Start and reboot. Then do a factory reset and scan for channels (use FastScanGUI to minimize duplicates and ChannelOrganiser to deletes the dross; both should have been put in \ProgramFiles\Utilities if you used the full MyStuff Installer.
Having cleaned it all up and rebooted, wait 2 mins and manually run MyInfo to see if it works. If it does, move it back into Auto Start

Geoff

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; QuickJump 1.72; MyInfo B5.6; Font Manager 1.0d; EPG2MEI v0.96; CrashTrace v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; Extend v1.7; WSSkiller V2.12d; SecCache (UK) v0.4; MyStuff 6.5;
Sig generated by MyInfo on 6/9/13
™
limax
Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
What firmware was your Mum using before the upgrade?

I think it was already on 5.13.65T.

Quote:
You sometimes need to do a factory reset when the firmware is changed (I'm not sure if it is also necessary when going from MyStuuf 5.62 to 6.*)

I didn't when I upgraded my own box.

Quote:
suggest you move MyInfo out of Auto Start and reboot. Then do a factory reset

As I've said above, I've already done this and more without it making any difference.

John
juwlz
Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:28 am Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10343 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
You only need a Factory Reset if moving between 5.14.xx and 5.13.xx in either direction, so you wouldn't have needed one.

Try these steps (one at a time):

1. Will it boot if you start up with no TAPs? (i.e. holding the 0 key until you have a picture).

2. If so, will it record and play back?

3. If so, start it recording something you don't care about, and pull the plug (don't bother putting it in standby first - it won't shut down while it's recording). Leave it powered off for a couple of minutes. When you switch back on, it will do VF&F, which should fix any glitches in the file system. When it's finished, try running MyInfo manually and see what happens.

Julie

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
limax
Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:09 am Reply with quote
Everything appears to work correctly, as long as FwLoad & MyInfo have been moved out of Auto Start. And MyInfo works correctly when started manually.

The problems are that FwLoad does not get deleted from Auto Start when it's completed, and therefore reboots and loops; and that when MyInfo is autostarted it displays on the screen and doesn't respond to "press any key to exit".

I forced a VF&F as suggested. It recovered everything and has made no difference.

John
juwlz
Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:35 am Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10343 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
What happens if you run FWLoad manually? If you don't, it won't have installed some of the MyStuff-specific patches (the biggest consequence of which is that you won't be able to use Series searches, and Power Searches will just be Text Searches).

Julie

limax
Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:21 am Reply with quote
Quote:
What happens if you run FWLoad manually?

It runs OK, but it hasn't altered anything. MyInfo output shows exactly the same patches.

Quote:
If you don't, it won't have installed some of the MyStuff-specific patches (the biggest consequence of which is that you won't be able to use Series searches, and Power Searches will just be Text Searches).

Power searches look to me to be working properly. Does the MyInfo output not show whether all patches are applied?

John
ccs
Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:36 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 30 Oct 2007 Posts: 1892 Location: E Yorkshire Belmont Transmitter
The MyInfo log says that all MyStuff patches are installed ok.

F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 -Fm

If you've tried to include additional (user specific) patches then they've not been included.

ccsx
juwlz
Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:46 pm Reply with quote
limax wrote:
Power searches look to me to be working properly. Does the MyInfo output not show whether all patches are applied?
Yes, sorry (pay attention at the back there Julie!).

If you leave FWLoad out of Auto Start, is it OK with MyInfo back in there now?

Julie

limax
Posted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:51 am Reply with quote
The disk was quite noisy, so I tried a different disk. After format/reset/scan/reinstall everything seems fine. FwLoad just ran once, as it should. MyInfo runs correctly, power searches set, all OK!

John
juwlz
Posted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:45 pm Reply with quote
OK. Check the known working / non working disk drive thread before you expect that one to work for any length of time, and also change (or get andyfras or MikeyP to change) the capacitors.

The most likely reason for disk failure in a Toppy is capacitor failure in the PSU (with about a 99% confidence rating). If you've changed the disk without repairing the PSU, I'll give it maybe a week or two before you start seeing more problems.

Julie

limax
Posted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Andy changed the capacitors last summer when the box had been playing up (hanging). It didn't fix it (Andy said the old capacitors had seemed OK), so I replaced the disk which did fix it. The only disk I had available was quite old so I'm not that surprised that it has now failed again. This time I've replaced it with one that's had little use but it's 7200 rpm and may run a little hot. I think I'll buy a more suitable new one.

John