Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  New users start here  ~  New user, old and not working Toppy!

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Leonard Smalls
Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:30 pm Reply with quote
G'day!
I've had my 5800pvrt for getting on for 3 years now and it's been grand - better than my mother's Humax!
Until yesterday, when I could no longer access archive, couldn't schedule recordings or do anything via EPG, and couldn't record or rewind etc. directly.
Having read the thread it's probably my PSU... However, how difficult is it to repair? I'm actually an electrician but have very average soldering skills (I can just about make up an XLR lead!), but have all the tools necessary. And how long does it take?
Is getting someone else to fix it reasonably priced? I spoke to Turbosat who said it wouldn't be more than £100 max, plus postage, but I've seen new TF5810s at £149!
ccs
Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 30 Oct 2007 Posts: 1892 Location: E Yorkshire Belmont Transmitter
This link gives psu repair details.

Or you could read the next post..... Smile

Last edited by ccs on Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

ccsx
juwlz
Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:58 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10344 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
Leonard Smalls wrote:
Is getting someone else to fix it reasonably priced? I spoke to Turbosat who said it wouldn't be more than £100 max, plus postage, but I've seen new TF5810s at £149!
Andyfras or MikeyP will do it for a fraction of that. PM them for details. Or you can buy a capacitor kit from andyfras for even less than that to DIY, following the instructions on the Wiki page.

Julie

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
thesaint
Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 15 Apr 2005 Posts: 366 Location: Darlington
Leonard Smalls wrote:
G'day!
I've had my 5800pvrt for getting on for 3 years now and it's been grand - better than my mother's Humax!
Until yesterday, when I could no longer access archive, couldn't schedule recordings or do anything via EPG, and couldn't record or rewind etc. directly.
Having read the thread it's probably my PSU... However, how difficult is it to repair? I'm actually an electrician but have very average soldering skills (I can just about make up an XLR lead!), but have all the tools necessary. And how long does it take?

With the capacitors kit supplied from this site it takes about half an hour to change them all and I didnt even disconnect the lead on the rhs going under the hdd to the motherboard, so I didnt take the hdd out to do it. Mainly because on one of my toppies the drive screw(one of four) wouldnt budge. Being an ex electrician you shoulds walk it in your sleep,just make sure the large capacitor is discharged before you start work(teaching grandma to suck eggs?).

TF5800[/b], F/W: MS6.4 Recommended F/W 2/6/2009 +CwFmOtTdVr
TAPs: Archive v1.0a; MyStuff 6.4; EPG2MEI v0.96; SecCache (UK) v0.4; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7; MyInfo B4.0; EIT Sub v0.6;

Models TF5800 x 3, 2 x160gB Black & 1 xSilver
Leonard Smalls
Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Just got my Toppy back from AndyFras, and I'm now yet another extremely satisfied customer.
Turned out the fault was a broken control board for the HDD, which Andy replaced, as well as the supply capacitors and he updated to the latest firmware.
The man's a proper hero!
stuart07970
Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:41 pm Reply with quote
andyfras is a true gentleman and an absolute god!
He's done two of my 5800's and will no doubt be doing my parents 5800 and my 5810 when the time comes!

An amazingly good value service to the TOPPY community of users

Very Happy
Sudbury_Dave
Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:29 am Reply with quote
I too would like to thank Andyfras for the very swift supply of a set of capacitors.
Unfortunately, I am still having problems with my facelift toppy.
I have had the machine almost 2 years but it was not brand new, it had been the demonstrator machine in a shop. I had a problem that it started to come up saying the firmware had been updated and a reset and scan were required, that's why I contacted Andy for the PSU repair kit.
I then decided to install MyStuff 6.4, I had installed a few TAPs in the past but this looked like a good update. I have been round in ever decreasing circles with the machine, I have now reformatted the hard disc, reset and rescanned and again installed MyStuff 6.4, using the installer, taking all of the offered options. The problem now is I am not sure the TAPs are running! the machine has obviously been updated as the front panel lights are different, when it is in standby the ring round the button goes out and a small blue led above it comes on.
I however cannot get the archive button to work, I know there are no programs to watch but I expected to be able to the see the empty list and move to see the TAP files and the MyInfo log file.

Have I done it wrong? Does MyStuff 6.4 work on a facelift machine?
I have tried holding down the 0 when powering on but it does not seem to make any difference.
What do I do next, I am thinking of try another reformat to see it I can get control back!

TAPs: PcControl B1.3; EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.5; MyInfo B5.6; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; MHEG On/Off A3; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7;
Sig generated by MyInfo on 14/7/13
™
andyfras
Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:40 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 25 Jul 2005 Posts: 3061 Location: Fleet, Hampshire (Hannington)
Sudbury_Dave wrote:
the machine has obviously been updated as the front panel lights are different, when it is in standby the ring round the button goes out and a small blue led above it comes on.

This is the forum recommended firmware which allows true standby.

Quote:
I however cannot get the archive button to work, I know there are no programs to watch but I expected to be able to the see the empty list and move to see the TAP files and the MyInfo log file.

You should be able to see an empty file list and be able to check other directories.

Quote:
Have I done it wrong?

Did you use the installer? If so, it should have installed MyStuff and various support TAPs including Utilities, if you agreed to the options.

Quote:
Does MyStuff 6.4 work on a facelift machine?

Yes

Quote:
I have tried holding down the 0 when powering on but it does not seem to make any difference.

It seems that your Toppy is not seeing the HDD. Check in the Menu; is Recording greyed out?

Quote:
What do I do next, I am thinking of try another reformat to see it I can get control back!

That may be your best option. The HDD may be corrupted in some way.

URC-7555 remote: TF5800 1TB with fan, Recommended_5800.tfd + CfPePsScWfZ
juwlz
Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:55 am Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10344 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
Sudbury_Dave wrote:
The problem now is I am not sure the TAPs are running! the machine has obviously been updated as the front panel lights are different, when it is in standby the ring round the button goes out and a small blue led above it comes on.
These are classic symptoms of a Toppy that can't see / access the hard drive - and as that's where your TAPs are, the TAPs certainly aren't running.
Quote:
Have I done it wrong? Does MyStuff 6.4 work on a facelift machine?
Probably nothing. The hard drive may have finally died (having been borderline before you changed the capacitors). You could try installing TopfHDRW and/or the hard drive manufacturer's low-level drive diagnostics to try to determine whether it is the drive or whether there's still something on the Toppy that needs sorting out (andyfras can help you with that).
Quote:
That simply stops TAPs in Auto Start from running - but as they weren't running anyway, as the Toppy can't access the drive, it wouldn't make any difference.
Quote:
You've got nothing to lose!

Julie

Sudbury_Dave
Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:04 am Reply with quote
Andy,
Thanks for the quick reply.
andyfras wrote:
Quote:

You should be able to see an empty file list and be able to check other directories..

That's what I thought.
andyfras wrote:
Quote:
Have I done it wrong?

Did you use the installer? If so, it should have installed MyStuff and various support TAPs including Utilities, if you agreed to the options.

I did use the installer and I took all of the options offered.
andyfras wrote:
Quote:
Does MyStuff 6.4 work on a facelift machine?

Yes

Great, it looks from the manual to be a big improvement.
andyfras wrote:
Quote:

It seems that your Toppy is not seeing the HDD. Check in the Menu; is Recording greyed out?

I will check when I get home.
andyfras wrote:

Quote:

That may be your best option. The HDD may be corrupted in some way.

I was surprised when I asked it to format that it completed very quickly, looks like I may need another disc.

TAPs: PcControl B1.3; EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.5; MyInfo B5.6; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; MHEG On/Off A3; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7;
™
andyfras
Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:26 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 25 Jul 2005 Posts: 3061 Location: Fleet, Hampshire (Hannington)
Sudbury_Dave wrote:
I was surprised when I asked it to format that it completed very quickly, looks like I may need another disc.

Toppy formatting is very quick; just a few seconds. It's nothing like PC formatting.

Your disk is probably OK, once the format issue is sorted.

Last edited by andyfras on Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:27 am; edited 1 time in total

URC-7555 remote: TF5800 1TB with fan, Recommended_5800.tfd + CfPePsScWfZ
ccs
Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:27 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 30 Oct 2007 Posts: 1892 Location: E Yorkshire Belmont Transmitter
Sudbury_Dave wrote:
It normally only takes a few seconds.

edit: Snap

ccsx
Geoff Bacon
Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:28 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 11 Jan 2007 Posts: 3022 Location: Bristol ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ Windows XP, USB
Formatting the disk is quick (just seconds) because it only writes new file control files rather than processing each block on the disk i.e. data that was on the disk is still there; it just won't be seen by the new file system.

Geoff

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; QuickJump 1.72; MyInfo B5.6; Font Manager 1.0d; EPG2MEI v0.96; CrashTrace v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; Extend v1.7; WSSkiller V2.12d; SecCache (UK) v0.4; MyStuff 6.5;
Sig generated by MyInfo on 6/9/13
™
Sudbury_Dave
Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:38 am Reply with quote
Well full marks to Andy for remotely finding the fault, dead hard drive. Evil or Very Mad
I took the drive out, connected it to a PC via a USB adaptor and it identified itself but it is no longer a box to store bits in!
I found a 120G drive and put that it, the Toppy then warned it wanted to format it and after that it all worked. I have reinstalled MyStuff and plugged it back in with the small drive to test its OK, will know tonight as it should record a few odd things today.
I will be looking for a new larger drive to make it more usable, any recommendations for this?

™
juwlz
Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:54 am Reply with quote
Sudbury_Dave wrote:
I will be looking for a new larger drive to make it more usable, any recommendations for this?
Don't leave it too long! There are two stickies:
Disk upgrades - summary of working and non-working models
As the title implies, not all drives are compatible with the Toppy - even if they appear to work at first
and
SATA-IDE converters, working and non-working models

Julie