Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Computer connections  ~  0 KB size file when transferring files from Toppy to PC

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next
seriousman
Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Can someone help please? I own a TF5810PVRt (C457) with the latest firmware (5.15.09T). Whenever I try to transfer a file using Altair (1.250) I get a 0 KB size file on my PC (Vista using IE9). There are no illegal characters in the filename and the same USB cable works fine transferring files to and from an external hard drive. I’ve seen a solution to the problem here which refers to a TF5800 so I'm not sure if its even relevant.

http://forum.toppy.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13624

I couldn’t work through it anyway as I’m not that technically minded so am hoping there is a simpler solution. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Geoff Bacon
Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 11 Jan 2007 Posts: 3019 Location: Bristol ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯ Windows XP, USB
As you say there are no bad characters, my guess is that you have the [U] and [Uu] patches applied on the toppy but Altair is using a dll that doesn't support them.

Suggest you install TopManager (link in my signature)
1) Connections| Settings - create a connection
2) Connections| Open
3) Tools| DLLs| Show (as this is the first time, it may say that it will take a few minutes to scan your disk)
4) Scroll down the displayed list looking for a "FixDLL" icon (or something similar). Double click on the section. Scroll down to the tfDLL in the expanded section. Right click and select "Fix DLL". Altair should then work (after you close TM; only one can work at a time)

You might like to try some of the other features e.g. "Tools| Update Forum Profile" to set a Forum signature (assuming you have MyInfo installed; use "Tools|Install Taps" if not).

Another alternative is that you try Antares instead of altair.

My suggestion would be that you fix the Altair dll anyway. Then try Anatares. This will give you 2 ways of accessing the files (3 if you use TopManager - but it only processes files in the \PrograFiles tree).

[edit]It would help if you posted the MyInfo Log file - use "Display| MyInfo Log" in TM) [/edit]
Geoff

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; QuickJump 1.72; MyInfo B5.6; Font Manager 1.0d; EPG2MEI v0.96; CrashTrace v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; Extend v1.7; WSSkiller V2.12d; SecCache (UK) v0.4; MyStuff 6.5;
Sig generated by MyInfo on 6/9/13
juwlz
Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:04 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10343 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
It's almost certainly the USB acceleration patches. Can you transfer in the other direction?

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
seriousman
Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Hello Geoff

I downloaded TopManager as instructed and then went into “Tools – DLL files – Display” which gave me

“Program Files:\Topfield\TfDll.dll
<<< Does not support USB accelerator patches (and may be replaced)

Number of DLL files that could be replaced = 1”

When I expand “Program files\Topfield” the TFDll.dll file is in red but I can’t see a Fix DLL option. There is an “Edit File” which is greyed out so can’t click on it and a “Replace File” which when I click on I get
”Error in replaceDLL – failed to rename original DLL (need to maually replace?”)
and “Rename C:\…..……
to ……………” (no directory showing here)
and “Copy C:\………..
to C:\………..”

Do I need to carry out these instructions and if yes what directory do I use in the rename?

Also all the TM “Display” options are greyed out so I can’t show you “MyInfo Log".

Thanks for your help.
Geoff Bacon
Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 11 Jan 2007 Posts: 3019 Location: Bristol ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯ Windows XP, USB
TM is probably being prevented from changing the dll because of the security on your system. Suggest you log in as administrator and try to "replace file" again. If that doesn't work, you will have to do the commands manually as suggested in the error dialog. You shouldn't need to run TM as an administrator after that.

I'm surprised that the options were greyed out (perhaps they were disabled when you tried to replace the dll and the error handling is incorrect. Alternatively, you reran TM and omitted to open the connection (use Connection| AutoConnect so that iwt will automatically connect when TM starts - but you will still need to open it the first time)

Suggest that after using "Connection| Open", you immediately do a "Display| MyInfo Log" (TM has it's own versions of the dlls so that should work).

Geoff

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; QuickJump 1.72; MyInfo B5.6; Font Manager 1.0d; EPG2MEI v0.96; CrashTrace v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; Extend v1.7; WSSkiller V2.12d; SecCache (UK) v0.4; MyStuff 6.5;
seriousman
Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:57 am Reply with quote
Geoff

Ran TopManager as Administrator in Vista. This allowed me to use “Edit File” so the DLL is now fine and I get
“No issues found with DLL versions”
However when I tried to send a file to my PC I am still getting a O KB file.

I was wondering if any processes running in windows like the virus checker could be causing this so disabled it and switched off as many processes as possible but it made no difference.

Incidently all the TM “Display” options are still greyed as is the following:
File - Import Files
Connection - Settings
Edit
Also some in Tools & Snapshot

If you have any ideas……

Thanks
juwlz
Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:00 am Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10343 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
1. Do you have the U and/or Uu patches installed? (MyInfo will tell you interactively, even if you can't copy the log file to your PC)
2. Can you copy from your PC to your Toppy?
3. How long is the USB cable you're using? Have you tried another / shorter one? (I know you've used the cable with another device, but have you used a different (printer) cable to connect to the Toppy?)
4. Where on your PC are you trying to copy the file to? Can you copy to your Documents folder?

Julie

seriousman
Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:43 am Reply with quote
Hello Julie

Thank you for your input. I’ll try to answer your questions. First the ones I can answer.
2) Sometimes I can copy files from PC to Toppy (though some copies resulted in truncated files so are useless).
3) I’ve tried copying from my Toppy to different folders on my PC (including my download and document folders), all with no success.(O KB files).
4) The USB cable is 2 feet in length so its pretty short. I haven’t another to try.
And lastly the one I can’t.
1) How can I see Myinfo Log if all the Display options are greyed out in Topmanager? And what are U/Uu patches?

Mick
juwlz
Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:04 am Reply with quote
seriousman wrote:
2) Sometimes I can copy files from PC to Toppy (though some copies resulted in truncated files so are useless).
That suggests that it's a hardware problem, as the U and Uu patches don't affect transfers TO the Toppy.
Quote:
4) The USB cable is 2 feet in length so its pretty short. I haven’t another to try.
Can you borrow one from somebody? It's a standard USB printer cable.
Quote:
1) How can I see Myinfo Log if all the Display options are greyed out in Topmanager? And what are U/Uu patches?
You don't use your computer. You run the MyInfo TAP interactively. Within the first few minutes of startup, MyInfo runs in the background. However, if you run it after your machine's been running for a while (at least 5 minutes, to be safe), it will show a summary of its output, including your installed patches (in alphabetical order) on the screen. All patches start with a capital letter, and may or may not also include an additional lower case character.

You haven't said whether you have any TAPs installed at all. If you have MyStuff and used the installer, then MyInfo will be in the Auto Start folder. Otherwise, unless you have installed MyInfo manually, you probably don't have it anyway, and since you can't reliably copy to the machine either, we probably can't install it.

Having said that, the USB patches don't get installed automatically by anything, so if you haven't specifically installed them, you haven't got them.

The next step will be to buy or borrow another USB cable. If that doesn't work, you may need to take advantage of andyfras's services to see if he can repair your USB port on the Toppy, and give it a general overhaul at the same time.

Julie

Last edited by juwlz on Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

Geoff Bacon
Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:53 am Reply with quote
@seriousman

Sorry, I didn't see your previous post.
Quote:

Incidently all the TM “Display” options are still greyed as is the following:
File - Import Files
Connection - Settings
Edit

TopManager greys out options which aren't applicable e.g.
1) Most options are greyed if the connection has not been opened
2) The display options are greyed if the corresponding file does not exist (or TM didn't detect the file if the disk is having problems)
3) File - Import Files only gets enabled when doing a "Connection| Browse"
4) "Connection| Settings" is only enabled when the connection is closed
5) Edit is only enabled for text type files (when in "Connection| Browse" or "Tools| Analyze ProgramFiles"

So it appears that TopManager can open the connection (you said that Settings is greyed) but doesn't see the files.

Suggest you try the "Connection| Browse" option; this should bring up a tree display of your files. Check that you don't have any duplicated directories in the top level directory (it should only have ProgramFiles, DataFiles and MP3s).
Assuming Connection|Browse is working, double click on Auto Start and check that you have a MyInfo.tap there (if not, try the "Tools| Load Taps| MyInfo" option).

Using the remote, manually run MyInfo as follows:
1) Press the play button (the > between << and >>)
2) Press Archive
3) Press << (it should display ProgramFiles)
4) Press OK over Auto Start (it should be there already)
5) Scroll down the files to MyInfo.tap and press OK; it should put some info on the screen and create a \ProgramFiles\Logs\MyInfo Log.txt file
6) While still in "Connection|Browse" mode, press F5 (to refresh) and then double click on the Logs folder in the left pane
7) Double click the MyInfo Log.txt file to display it.
8 ) Right Click in the pane and "Select All", Right Click again and "Copy"
9) Paste the output into this thread.

If the above instructions fail, please try and check the existence of files using Altair (and advise the point at which the instructions failed!)

Of course your problems could be due to a failing PSU:-
1) Do you experience any other problems when operating the toppy?
2) How old is the toppy?
3) Do you put it into standby each night?
4) Is there plenty of ventilation around the toppy?

Geoff

qubits
Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:06 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 26 May 2010 Posts: 164 Location: Australia
@seriousman,

Like Geoff said a few posts back, it would be worthwhile for you to run Antares (the Altair-like computer program I wrote) to see if you still get the problem. Antares doesn't use any dlls, and doesn't care whether you have the USB acceleration patches installed or not. So knowing whether Antares works would help narrow down the problem.

Instructions for downloading and installing Antares are here: Antares hompage.

Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:53 am Reply with quote
Geoff

Thanks for your suggestions and forgive me for not trying them as quickly as I should. It just a matter of finding the time and getting access to the Toppy which is heavily used by the family.

And thank you Julie for your input - I tried another USB cable which gave the same disappointing result but it was far longer (2m) than the first one. I hope its not a hardware problem.

I’ve got no TAPs installed as far as I know – myinfo is my first. The tirst time I ran myinfo I got some duplicated channels which I deleted.

I then did as you suggested and got the following which I hope is of some use.

Contents of \ProgramFiles\Logs\MyInfo Log.txt
---------------------------------------------
MyInfo B5.6 Logging settings etc on: 5/2/2012 at 02:28

Waiting for other TAPs to load and settle

Ini file found
Starting to record data 60 seconds from boot

System ID: 457
TV Output: Type = PAL, Video = RGB
Reported firmware version: TF-NPT 5.15.09T dated Sep 02 2010
Base firmware version: 5.15.09

Running TAPS:
Slot 0: MyInfo B5.6 : Displays & records Toppy basic info
Slots 1 - 15 not used

Installed patch list:- Af Bf Bq C0 Ce Ck Cw Ec Ef Eg Em Ep Er Es Ev F Gm H He Kt Mh Nf Ot Pc R Ra Rh Rm Rp Rs S Sd Sf Sr Sx Td Tf Tp Tq Tt Vr Xw Xl
Firmware 5.15.09T 4/9/2009 modified thus: -Ab-Fm-Te
Patch Decode Links - Will explain your patches:
5.15.09T 4/9/2009 :- http://www.toppy.org.uk/~simonc/dp.html?p=AfBfBqC0CeCkCwEcEfEgEmEpErEsEvFGmHHeKtMhNfOtPcRRaRhRmRpRsSSdSfSrSxTdTfTpTqTtVrXwXl
Missing patches:- http://www.toppy.org.uk/~simonc/dp.html?p=AbFmTe

Time Mode set to Auto
Time Offset set to Auto

Found 87 TV channels and 24 Radio channels
No channel problems detected
LCNs of programme channels found on Tx Ch 55 are: 12, 15, 18, 21, 22, 24, 25, 32, 35, 36, 40, 41, 42, 85, 89, 94, 96, 99, 199, 300, 711, 713, 714, 715, 716, 718, 722,
LCNs of programme channels found on Tx Ch 57 are: 200, 201, 202,
LCNs of programme channels found on Tx Ch 58 are: 10, 16, 17, 20, 23, 26, 30, 31, 34, 38, 39, 43, 72, 84, 88, 92, 93, 97, 98, 101, 103, 104, 109, 189, 191, 192, 307, 308, 309, 712, 724, 727, 728,
LCNs of programme channels found on Tx Ch 59 are: 3, 4, 5, 6, 13, 14, 28, 33, 100, 102, 106, 107,
LCNs of programme channels found on Tx Ch 61 are: 11, 19, 29, 37, 44, 82, 83, 87, 90, 95, 108, 190, 306, 723, 725,
LCNs of programme channels found on Tx Ch 62 are: 1, 2, 7, 9, 70, 71, 80, 81, 105, 301, 700, 701, 702, 703, 704, 705, 706, 707, 708, 709, 710,

Interactive On
Timeshift On

Memory - Free: 15 MB, Available: 15 MB
Disk - Total: 466 GB, Free: 121 GB

Checking for actual or imminent recording
Found apparently invalid file:- /DataFiles/MUSIC/Sounds of the Sixties-9.rec
250 recordings (343 GB) + 0 deleted (0 GB) in 9 folders (+ 0 empty folders)

Time since boot: 0:0:1 (d:h:m)

Suggested signature for Toppy forum - copy following lines to signature block at http://forum.toppy.org.uk/forum/profile.php?mode=editprofile
TF5810, IA On, TS On, F/W: 5.15.09T 4/9/2009 -AbFmTe
TAPs: MyInfo B5.6;
Sig generated by MyInfo on 5/2/12

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In answer to your other questions
1) No apart from the odd recording being missed and also very occasionally a recording that I can’t play back.
2) 27 months
3) Yes
4) Yes

As for Qubits suggestion regarding Antares, I’d like to get Altair working first before I grapple with another file transfer system – I’m not the most technical of people and have to spend some time working things out.

Geoff I await with patience your (or anyone else’s) next suggestion. Its nice to know theres someone at the end of the line.

Mick
juwlz
Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:00 am Reply with quote
seriousman wrote:
In answer to your other questions
1) No apart from the odd recording being missed and also very occasionally a recording that I can’t play back.
2) 27 months
3) Yes
4) Yes
Answers 1 and 2 suggest that you may have the beginnings of a PSU failure. This is very common in Toppies, but the good news is that it's easy and inexpensive to get them fixed ... as long as you don't ignore them until they get so bad that they damage other hardware in the Toppy, such as the hard drive or tuners.
Quote:
As for Qubits suggestion regarding Antares, I’d like to get Altair working first before I grapple with another file transfer system – I’m not the most technical of people and have to spend some time working things out.
At this stage, hardware failure of your USB port or possibly a problem with the PSU is looking the mostly likely cause of your problem. It's unlikely that we're going to get Altair to work "first". Trying Antares is the last and crucial troubleshooting step to work out whether you really do have a hardware problem with the USB or not, and is the only method open to us short of opening up the box and checking it with a multimeter (at which point neither Geoff nor I will be any use to you). If Antares will work, then we can try harder (although I'm not sure what else we can try) to get Altair working if you still want to. However, if Antares won't work either, then we can be pretty certain that there's a hardware problem - although it's clearly intermittent / partial at the moment, or you wouldn't have been able to install MyInfo or copy the log back to your PC.

However, if you don't want to install Antares, we have no option but to assume that your next action must be to send your Toppy off for repair. The only other possible cause I can think of is a problem with your PC's USB port, but if both the port and the cable can be used with an external hard drive, that's less likely.

Your MyInfo log looks fine. If you were running any TAPs, I'd suggest pruning out the dross channels, but on a TAPless Toppy, it's not a big issue now that MyInfo has cleared your duplicate channels.

Given the age and model of your Toppy, it's quite likely that it's suffering from the very common problem of PSU (Power Supply Unit) failure. Two forum members andyfras (tinyurl.com/ToppyRepairandyfras, in Fleet) and MikeyP (tinyurl.com/ToppyRepairMikeyP, in Bolton) both offer an inexpensive repair service for other forum members, generally with quick turnaround. As mentioned previously, Andy has also recently acquired a bit of kit to repair USB ports if repairing the PSU alone doesn't help. Send either or both of them a PM for prices. (Click on the PM button in the linked pages.)

It really is going to be less painful in the long run to choose a time (soon!) when it's going to be least disruptive to be without the Toppy for a few days of your choice than to wait until you get a catastrophic failure and have no choice about when you send your Toppy off for repair. If you live within striking distance of Fleet, you may even be able to get a while-you-wait repair from andyfras (by prior arrangement, of course). Both of them have a lot of experience of repairing Toppies, and offer a much better service at a fraction of the price recently charged to one forum member by Turbosat (the UK importer).

In this case, the adage "A stitch in time saves nine" is what you need to bear in mind. The sooner you can find a time to unplug your Toppy and send it off, the better. I'd recommend doing it within the next week or two. It sounds as though the inability to connect to the USB port is a symptom of a wider problem that can only get worse if you ignore it. With over 8000 posts and 6+ years' active forum membership helping people with their Toppies, I'm getting used to seeing the signs. At this stage of a 5810's life, replacing the capacitors in the PSU is going to be a good preventative measure anyway.

Julie

P.S. Now would be a good time to create a forum signature. TopManager makes it easy to do.

Geoff Bacon
Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:46 am Reply with quote
Well the usb is partly working as you managed to get the MyInfo log back from the toppy.

As Julie says, it would be very useful if you could set up a forum signature (easiest mechanism is to use the TopManager "Tools|Update Forum Profile" option) as this helps responders know how your toppy is configured.

What directory were you trying to copy toppy files from?
Have you tried copying other files?
Is there sufficient free space on the target disk?
As a test, log in as an administrator while attempting to perform one of your transfers; just in case the UAC (User Access Control) on your pc is preventing you writing to your selected pc folder.

While it is unlikely to be a toppy disk problem, it might be a good idea to install the HDDInfo tap on the toppy and post its output:-
1) TM "Tools|Install Taps| HDDInfo"
2) With remote control, run the tap
2a) Press Archive
2b) Press <<
2c) Scroll down to Utilities and press OK
2d) Scroll to HDDInfo and press OK
2e) Press >> (The tap should automatically write a log file)
2f) Press Exit
3) TM "Connections| Browse"
3a) Double Click on the Settings Folder
3b) Double Click on the HDDInfo folder
3c) Double Click on the log file it contains
3d) Right Click "Select All", Right Click "Copy"
4) Paste the output into this thread.
Note: as the forum engine strips multiple spaces, please press the Code button before pasting and the Code* button after pasting - this puts tags around the pasted information to preserve formatting.

Geoff

juwlz
Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:53 am Reply with quote
Geoff Bacon wrote:
What directory were you trying to copy toppy files from?
Have you tried copying other files?
See earlier in the thread
Quote:
3) I’ve tried copying from my Toppy to different folders on my PC (including my download and document folders), all with no success.(O KB files).