Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  New users start here  ~  “Firmware was changed.." problem

Page 3 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Stuart P
Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 19 Sep 2008 Posts: 94 Location: Hitchin, Herts
many thanks for the reply. yes indeed mystuff and all the associated taps Smile the number of channels inc radio was only 21.

so is this a result of using mystuff or have there been reports of it when using just the native epg/running tapless? if the error can be avoided by using the native epg rather than mystuff, then as much as i love mystuff my mum would be just as happy with the the native epg Smile

Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:45 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10280 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
Stuart P wrote:
many thanks for the reply. yes indeed mystuff and all the associated taps Smile the number of channels inc radio was only 21.

so is this a result of using mystuff or have there been reports of it when using just the native epg/running tapless? if the error can be avoided by using the native epg rather than mystuff, then as much as i love mystuff my mum would be just as happy with the the native epg Smile
You lose a lot more than just the MyStuff EPG if you uninstall MyStuff. Setting repeating timers by name, for a start. And you and she would have to deal with the vagaries of the iffy native Series Link, etc. Plus, it'll be more difficult for you to help her, as she'd no longer be using a UI that you and she are familiar with. In short, I'd never dream of letting my parents loose on a Toppy if it didn't have MyStuff installed - way too scary! Try going native yourself for a while before you suggest it to her Wink.

The bottom line is that I don't know for sure whether you'd avoid it by not using MyStuff (or even if you'd reduce the chance of it occurring).

Julie

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
ccs
Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 30 Oct 2007 Posts: 1821 Location: E Yorkshire Belmont Transmitter
I'm know this is not what people like to hear, but my 86 year old mum has been using a 5810 as per my sig just fine for over 3 years
and if you include mine, SL recordings with a native 5810 have been reliable for nearly 7 years. Smile
And we've never seen the dreaded phantom firmware has changed.

ccsx
juwlz
Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:09 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10280 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
Fair point, but I suspect many more people are running MyStuff than not (I may be wrong, of course), and AFAIK many of them (including me) have never seen the dreaded "Firmware has changed" either.

Julie

Stuart P
Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:10 pm Reply with quote
ccs wrote:
I'm know this is not what people like to hear, but my 86 year old mum has been using a 5810 as per my sig just fine for over 3 years
and if you include mine, SL recordings with a native 5810 have been reliable for nearly 7 years. Smile

that is good to hear Smile if i want to go native again, is it possible to revert to factory settings without wiping the recordings on the hdd?

Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 30 Oct 2007 Posts: 1821 Location: E Yorkshire Belmont Transmitter
Stuart P wrote:
ccs wrote:

that is good to hear Smile if i want to go native again, is it possible to revert to factory settings without wiping the recordings on the hdd?
Yes - but I'm sure there will be plenty of others who will try to persuade you not to abandon MyStuff.

ccsx
Stuart P
Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:15 pm Reply with quote
ccs wrote:
Yes - but I'm sure there will be plenty of others who will try to persuade you not to abandon MyStuff.

how do i do that?

Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 17 Jan 2006 Posts: 4816
Stuart P wrote:
ccs wrote:

how do i do that?

To revert to native OS operation Just remove your TAP files from your hard drive (you'll find them in the archive) , this won't affect the recorded programmes.
Or as a temporary 'abandon' hold the zero button down on the remote during bootup so `TAP's aren't loaded for that session.

Parts or Repair service for your poorly toppy/PSU - 'talk to me' Smile my name's Mike though, not Terry Tibbs Very Happy
Stuart P
Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:25 pm Reply with quote
oh ok thanks. so just go into the program files area and delete any taps i want rid of?

Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 17 Oct 2006 Posts: 3123 Location: Southchurch Village, Southend-on-Sea
Stuart P wrote:

how do i do that?

Just delete Mystuff and associated TAPs out of the Auto Start folder on the Toppy. However, I believe that those running without Mystuff also use a few TAPs with the native recommended firmware to make the Toppy more reliable.

Without Mystuff you may find that you will start encountering some other problems related to the native series link firmwares. How much they effect the operation of a particular Toppy will be dependent on how you use it.

Stuart P
Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:51 pm Reply with quote
alan_m wrote:
Without Mystuff you may find that you will start encountering some other problems related to the native series link firmwares. How much they effect the operation of a particular Toppy will be dependent on how you use it.

ok so if that happens then a full factory wipe (inc deleting all recordings) will revert things back to normal?

Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 11 Jan 2007 Posts: 2893 Location: Bristol ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ Windows XP, USB
If you can access the toppy via a windows pc, try TopManager (link in my signature).
To remove MyStuff using TopManager
1) Use Connection| Browse
2) Double Click Auto Start
3) Select MyStuff.tap and do one of the following:-
3a) press the Delete key (or right click and delete)
3b) press F2 and Rename it to MyStuff.pat
3c) use the mouse to drag the MyStuff.tap to ProgramFiles in the left pane.

Using the latter two allow you to reinstate MyStuff by reversing the operation. You can also do all these via the native menus if you require.

Geoff

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; QuickJump 1.72; MyInfo B5.6; Font Manager 1.0d; EPG2MEI v0.96; CrashTrace v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; Extend v1.7; WSSkiller V2.12d; SecCache (UK) v0.4; MyStuff 6.5;
Sig generated by MyInfo on 6/9/13
™
ccs
Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Stuart P wrote:
alan_m wrote:

ok so if that happens then a full factory wipe (inc deleting all recordings) will revert things back to normal?
You'll never need to wipe the recordings. I've never had any SL issues - see my sig for the taps and patches which are needed.
Others here will suggest that it is not reliable.

ccsx
juwlz
Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Stuart P wrote:
alan_m wrote:
That would be an overkill sledgehammer approach.

As to removing MyStuff, I would suggest you simply move any unwanted TAPs out of AutoStart, up one level to ProgramFiles, or into another subfolder of ProgramFiles, rather than deleting them. That can easily be done using the Yellow button, and gives you the option to easily reinstate them if you want to.

However, bear in mind that some of the TAPs added by the MyStuff installer are actually bug fix / performance improving TAPs, so you might want to be a little more selective.

For instance, even though you won't need EPG2MEI to collect EPG info for MyStuff, it is still recommended to fix some issues that I can't remember (since I need it for MyStuff anyway). MHeg On/Off is also worth keeping (if you have it). SecCache and eitsub are also bug fixing TAPs. MyInfo is worth keeping, as is FastScanGUI if installed.

So, you could simply move MyStuff (and FontManager if installed) out of Auto Start Wink.

Julie

alan_m
Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 17 Oct 2006 Posts: 3123 Location: Southchurch Village, Southend-on-Sea
ccs wrote:

Others here will suggest that it is not reliable.

List of bugs in the native firmware, some of which are not fixed
http://forum.toppy.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=160549#160549

More to the point, if the "new firmware" bug is a native firmware feature then switching away from MyStuff may make the box less reliable.