Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Computer connections  ~  Play files from a file server

Page 1 of 1
adrianlodge
Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:37 am Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 17 May 2009 Posts: 36 Location: Winchester
I asked a question a few days ago about connecting a Toppy to a network, but I think I asked the wrong question.

Is it possible to network the Toppy in order to play video files that are stored on a fileserver?

I know that the Toppy can be networked so that it is visible from PCs on the network, but does it work the other way - is it possible for the Toppy to see PCs on the network.
If it is possible for the Toppy to see storage on the network, is it possible to play video files and what format would they need to be in?

thanks

alan_m
Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:12 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 17 Oct 2006 Posts: 3170 Location: Southchurch Village, Southend-on-Sea
adrianlodge wrote:
I asked a question a few days ago about connecting a Toppy to a network, but I think I asked the wrong question.

Is it possible to network the Toppy in order to play video files that are stored on a fileserver?

I know that the Toppy can be networked so that it is visible from PCs on the network, but does it work the other way - is it possible for the Toppy to see PCs on the network.
If it is possible for the Toppy to see storage on the network, is it possible to play video files and what format would they need to be in?

thanks

The Toppy does not have Ethernet and has no network capability of its own. You need a device between the Toppy's USB port and your network.

The Toppy's USB port is a dumb peripheral in much the same way as an external USB disk connected to your PCs USB port.

adrianlodge
Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:07 am Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 17 May 2009 Posts: 36 Location: Winchester
I know about connecting the Toppy to a network using the Asus device. What I was asking is what I can do once it is connected - I know I can view the Toppy from the network, but can I view the network from the Toppy. If so, can I play files that are stored on the network?

alan_m
Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:16 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 17 Oct 2006 Posts: 3170 Location: Southchurch Village, Southend-on-Sea
adrianlodge wrote:
I know about connecting the Toppy to a network using the Asus device. What I was asking is what I can do once it is connected - I know I can view the Toppy from the network, but can I view the network from the Toppy. If so, can I play files that are stored on the network?

The Toppy is a dumb peripheral. It cannot see beyond its own hard disk. Any transfer of data is instigated by the equipment external to the Toppy.

juwlz
Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:51 am Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10343 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
adrianlodge wrote:
You approach it from the PC end, not from the Toppy end. So you can initiate from the PC end and use ftp (via the Asus/Slug/attached PC) to stream recordings using VLC or any other video player that understands .rec files, and they will stream perfectly fast enough to be watchable.

There's a VLC helper application for Windows called SlugStream which aims to simplify the process of choosing and starting your playback, but I haven't used it for quite some time.

What you can't do is use the Toppy as a way of watching stuff on the rest of your network on the TV. To do that, you'd probably have to hook up your TV as a monitor on a PC (even if it's only a cheap / old laptop with Linux installed).

Julie

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012