Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Firmwares, enhancements and upgrades  ~  One For All - URC 7960

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next
itbloke
Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:47 pm Reply with quote
Hi all,

First post as I have done quite well so far upgrading my unit on my own now on a 2 GiG Sata Drive, however my Topield TF 5810 PVRt's Remote control is starting to fall apart & I would like buy a new one, however I have fallen in love with the One For All - URC 7960 remote and dearly want to purchase one before my existing remote finally fails.

However I have not been able to find any reviews or idea that it works with my Topfield, I have download the remotes manual and it shows the following codes for Topfield in the Sat/PVR Section: Topfield: 1986, 1545, 1783, 1722, 1206, 1208, 1824, but not sure if any of these will work. Any Idea's Peeps, you would simply make my day if anyone could confirm this remote works as I really want to have a crack with it's motion control feature, it just looks so cool on youtube.

Thanks for your time and support in this matter

Kind Regards & Best Wishes - Ashe.
underquark
Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:37 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 06 Oct 2005 Posts: 1776
I suspect that none of the codes will work ALL of the functions but that one of the codes (maybe Sat 1783) will work some of the functions (number keys, record, play, power) but you'll have to use KeyMagic to program or learn others (volume, colour buttons, fav, PIP etc.). If you really like the remote and don't mind spending half an hour or so setting it up then go for it. As far as I know for this remote, once you have programmed the buttons they stay in memory even when you change the batteries. It isn't one that I know how to program via USB cable (yet?).

What is this "motion control" feature that you mention as being so cool?

5xTF5800PVR - 1 organ-donor, 1 for experimenting on, 2 x 250Gb and 1 x 500Gb (Seagate ST3500630A, no fan), one Toppy with UPS and dedicated aerial; MyStuff 6.3; QuickJump 1.72; EPG2 MEI; MEISearch 1.37; Various remotes - URC8820 (my fav.), URC8910 (for SWMBO), URC7562 (to learn new codes) programmed using tools from the excellent JP1 site.
itbloke
Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:34 am Reply with quote
Hi thanks for that,

I think I will give it a try anyway, next pay day.

As regards the SmartControl Motion function, I saw it on The Red Ferret Journal here: http://www.redferret.net/?p=29544 and then watched the Youtube Video Demonstration: http://youtu.be/Gi_xCk_fYOA and was sold from that moment on, it if works half as good as the video I will be happy, save fumbling for buttons in the dark when you watching a movie and want to pause it for a toilet brake or fast forward through adverts.

Once again thanks for the support, would be great if someone had tried one already,

Kind Regards & Best Wishes Ashe.
underquark
Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Yes, but that's on the URC-7962. The URC-7960 that you asked about doesn't do this (or, at least, it doesn't mention it in the manual).

5xTF5800PVR - 1 organ-donor, 1 for experimenting on, 2 x 250Gb and 1 x 500Gb (Seagate ST3500630A, no fan), one Toppy with UPS and dedicated aerial; MyStuff 6.3; QuickJump 1.72; EPG2 MEI; MEISearch 1.37; Various remotes - URC8820 (my fav.), URC8910 (for SWMBO), URC7562 (to learn new codes) programmed using tools from the excellent JP1 site.
itbloke
Posted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:34 am Reply with quote
Yup my bad, was getting them confused, but they do look very similar remotes and my betting is that if the One For All - URC 7960 works then the One For All - URC 7962 will have exactly the same codes and should work as well, I just don't want to throw away thirty bucks on a dud that won't work at all, but I am sure they would not put the topfield codes in the manuals if there was not a chance.

Anyway thanks for all you help in this is there anyone then who has tried a One For All - URC 7962 with a topfield and got it working.

One For All Webcare
Posted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:57 pm Reply with quote
The code you need is 1783 (to set-up on the SAT key). It is possible that some keys need to be programmed separately. If you provide us with the exact name of the missing keys, we will be able to send you the programming procedure.

Should you have any more questions please do not hesitate to contact me at webcare@uebv.com

Kind Regards,

Mike

One For All Webcare
itbloke
Posted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Hi,

and many thanks for that, will definitely being giving it a go come payday next week. However does that advice ring true for the One For All - URC 7962 as well as the One For All - URC 7960, I imagine it does but also just wanted to check, as I have really got my heart set on the URC 7962 motion control version, because of the reasons I mentioned above.

Also looking at the best place to buy in London, I see that Argos stocks the Smart control but does not say which model it is, the One For All - URC 7960 or the One For All - URC 7962, which make things quite tricky, and when I go to the One For All website, it tells me that Argos stocks the One For All - URC 7962, is there any way you could let me know which model Argos stock and if it is not the One For All - URC 7962 Smartcontrol Motion, where would be the best place to pop out and get one in London.

Once again many thank for you prompt and really informative reply it has put my mind to rest I look forward to hearing from you in the near future if you can help me with my other questions.

jules25
Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Hi Ashe

The URC 7960 and 7962 are essentially the same product but the 7962 comes with the added feature of Motion control so yes, the code required will be the same.

Argos stocks the standard SmartControl remote, the URC 7960.

For the SmartControl Motion, in the UK it will be stocked at Dixons, Currys and PC World from around the second week of November or you can pre-order from amazon.co.uk here:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/One-All-URC7962-Motion-Control/dp/B005VCJI3C/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1319457110&sr=1-1
juwlz
Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:30 am Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10327 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
Don't forget to think about how you're going to map some of the Toppy's extra buttons before you commit. It has quite a lot, some of which are pretty fundamental to the basic operation of the machine - e.g. the White button, SlowMo, List, Opt, PiP, PiPSwitch, Text, etc. Any remote that doesn't have a screen where you can program soft buttons (with labels) is going to require everybody who uses it to remember what the equivalents for the original buttons are. If you use MyStuff, you'll also want to be sure that it supports press-and-hold to access those functions in MS that need it.

Julie

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
jumbo
Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:09 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 11 Apr 2005 Posts: 4733
jules25 wrote:
For the SmartControl Motion, in the UK it will be stocked at Dixons, Currys and PC World from around the second week of November or you can pre-order from amazon.co.uk here:

Given the "unsmart" functionality of this feature and the "double unsmart" move to stock it at some of the most customer unfriendly stores in the UK, buying this would be a "triple unsmart" move!
One For All Webcare
Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Hello,

Our One For All customer service department has trained personal that are able to assist you efficiently, for any questions regarding our One For All products, please contact us at webcare@uebv.com

Kind regards

Mike
One For All Webcare
www.oneforall.com
Darucla
Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 06 Jun 2007 Posts: 1422 Location: Norwich
I think Jumbo's paranoia is contagious. Or is this thread a fairly subtle advertising job?
itbloke
Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:43 pm Reply with quote
One For All Webcare wrote:
Hello,

Our One For All customer service department has trained personal that are able to assist you efficiently, for any questions regarding our One For All products, please contact us at webcare@uebv.com

Kind regards

Mike
One For All Webcare
www.oneforall.com

Hey all,

Much as I love my Topfield, it does just what it says on the tin and a little bit more, the supplied remote is really is it's weakest link, and mine has now finally given up the goat.

So with nothing left to do, except buy a new one and only a small budget to do it, I have finally found the ONE FOR ALL URC7962 Smart Motion Remote Control at a reasonable price @ PC world, for a mere 26.99,

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/one-for-all-urc7962-smart-motion-remote-control-11875746-pdt.html

So I am going to have to go ahead and buy one and hope for the best, (really concerned about mapping the white key). So if there is any further advice or tips from any of you they would be deeply appreciated at this moment in time, as I really want to get back to enjoying my Topfield PVR without a rather crippled remote.

Thanks for your support in this matter, I look forward to hearing from you in the near future,

Toodles & XO, XO - Ashe.
[/url]
underquark
Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:44 am Reply with quote
itbloke wrote:
...the supplied remote is really is it's weakest link, and mine has now finally given up the goat.

Yes they tend to be a bit capricious.

One For All Webcare
Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:24 am Reply with quote
itbloke wrote:
One For All Webcare wrote:
Hello,

Kind regards

Mike
One For All Webcare
www.oneforall.com

Hey all,

Much as I love my Topfield, it does just what it says on the tin and a little bit more, the supplied remote is really is it's weakest link, and mine has now finally given up the goat.

So with nothing left to do, except buy a new one and only a small budget to do it, I have finally found the ONE FOR ALL URC7962 Smart Motion Remote Control at a reasonable price @ PC world, for a mere 26.99,

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/one-for-all-urc7962-smart-motion-remote-control-11875746-pdt.html

So I am going to have to go ahead and buy one and hope for the best, (really concerned about mapping the white key). So if there is any further advice or tips from any of you they would be deeply appreciated at this moment in time, as I really want to get back to enjoying my Topfield PVR without a rather crippled remote.

Thanks for your support in this matter, I look forward to hearing from you in the near future,

Toodles & XO, XO - Ashe.
[/url]

Hello,

I understand you are afraid that the White key of the Topfield box is not mapped on the URC 7962.
The white key can be programmed using the Key Magic procedure and code 00548. With this code and procedure you can program this white key on any key of the One For All remote.

If you would like more assistance please contact us at webcare@uebv.com

Kind regards,
Justin
www.oneforall.com