Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  New users start here  ~  TAP GUIDES FOR "NEWBIES" - Please Read + Feedback

Page 1 of 1
EMJB
Posted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 08 Jul 2005 Posts: 3587 Location: Maldon Essex
I have just uploaded new versions of the following guides:

(1) Introduction to TAPs - a geral review of what TAPs can do, with general help on the problems you might encounter - available from http://www.toppy.org.uk/documents/Introduction%20to%20All%20TAPs%20V5.pdf

(2) Beginners guide to installing TAPs (Windows) - detailed instructions how to install TAPs - available at http://www.toppy.org.uk/documents/Installing%20TAPs%20_Windows_%20V2.pdf

(3) Beginner's Introduction to Toppy EPG TAPs - review of the various options for EPG & Timer TAPs, and of the EPG data sources - available at http://www.toppy.org.uk/documents/Intro%20to%20EPG%20TAPS%20V7.pdf

Feedback from new users & TAP authors on how these could be improved, please!

Last edited by EMJB on Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:23 am; edited 1 time in total
BobD
Posted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:00 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 03 Aug 2005 Posts: 4210 Location: Nottingham
Hi EMJB

Just one minor correction to the EPG guide: MyStuff does have Now&Next for all channels.

Thanks

MyStuff skins, manual and latest version: http://www.BobDsMyStuff.co.uk
Known bugs & forthcoming fixes: http://www.BobDsMyStuff.co.uk/Bugs.shtml
Changes coming in the next version: http://www.BobDsMyStuff.co.uk/NextVersion.shtml
netsalez
Posted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:18 am Reply with quote
Hi all, I am seriously considering buying a new Toppy, but have read reports that they are noisy (especially the 250GB version) I've already returned a Sony SVR-S500 because of the fan noise (wow!!) & don't want to make the same mistake again, the Humax appeals to me, but the Silver colour doesn't match my new Samsung LCD TV, the Logik LPV2250 looks cool, runs silent, but lacks the Toppy Specification - can anyone give me an honest review of the Toppy regarding its noise?

Many thanks in advance,

Brian
EMJB
Posted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:05 am Reply with quote
netsalez wrote:
Hi all, I am seriously considering buying a new Toppy, but have read reports that they are noisy (especially the 250GB version) I've already returned a Sony SVR-S500 because of the fan noise (wow!!) & don't want to make the same mistake again, the Humax appeals to me, but the Silver colour doesn't match my new Samsung LCD TV, the Logik LPV2250 looks cool, runs silent, but lacks the Toppy Specification - can anyone give me an honest review of the Toppy regarding its noise?

Many thanks in advance,

Brian

Please post your question in the main new users section, but first search for "noise" as this has been discussed many times.
Rourke
Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:17 pm Reply with quote
I've just bought a 250gb Topfield-I've had it just over a week and I love it.I can't hear any noise at all-very quiet indeed.I wouldn't hesitate.
dazbear
Posted: Thu May 10, 2007 11:20 am Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 10 May 2007 Posts: 42
The flowchart confused me a bit.

So for MyStuff of EPG Navigator do you have to download the EPG or can they use the over air EPG?

Sorry for being thick

D
Ugly--Kid--Joe
Posted: Thu May 10, 2007 11:28 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 05 May 2005 Posts: 1472 Location: Cornwall
dazbear wrote:
The flowchart confused me a bit.

So for MyStuff of EPG Navigator do you have to download the EPG or can they use the over air EPG?

Sorry for being thick

D

With MyStuff you need eit2mei to grab the OTA EIT data, EPGN will grab the OTA EIT data on its own, hope this helps and welcome to the forums.

Transmitter: Caradon Hill
Popcorn Hour:
Runnig FTP Topfield: RT2MEI v1.1: Remote Timers
OTHER:Harmony 885 Remote
doreen47
Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Hi
l would like to make sure l have the latest downloads and l have tried to do this but l'm sure it didn't work. ls it possible for some kind person to take me step by step through the maze. l have tried to do this via the manual but l'm sure l've not understood how to actually save the download, then how to transfer from my lap top to the Topfield box. The model no is TF 5810.
Thank you in anticipation.
Doreen. Embarassed
EMJB
Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:43 pm Reply with quote
doreen47 wrote:
Hi
l would like to make sure l have the latest downloads and l have tried to do this but l'm sure it didn't work. ls it possible for some kind person to take me step by step through the maze. l have tried to do this via the manual but l'm sure l've not understood how to actually save the download, then how to transfer from my lap top to the Topfield box. The model no is TF 5810.
Thank you in anticipation.
Doreen. Embarassed

If you are referring to latest versions of TAPs, the version numbers and download links are accessible via "TAPs" under "Downloads" on the left hand side of theis page. The procedure for transferring the TAPs to your Toppy is in document 2 in the first post of this thread.

EMJB
leona
Posted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:01 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 07 Nov 2010 Posts: 151 Location: Devon, UK (Tx: Stockland Hil)
I found the Guides really useful, as I a newbie here.
but do you think the guides will be updated, especially the "Toppy EPG TAPs" guide as the TAP listed may have been updated with new features etc,

Leona
-------
Toppy: Pre facelift TF5800 Age: 2005 PSU Refurb: 04/2011 TV: Panasonic TH42PX60B 42" Plasma.
IA: Off TS: On F/W: MS6 Rec: 5.13.65T Dated: 12/9/09 -Sy+Pe TAPs: EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.4; Font Manager 1.0d; MyInfo B5.5; TAP Commander 1.34; HDDInfo; MyInfo Sig 14/4/11.
HDD: WD / WD5000AADS / 500Gb Topfield SATA Adaptor PC OS: Ubuntu (12.04)
C Nile
Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Had a 5810 now running faultlessly for almost 4 years, but since switchover the epg in both native Toppy and My Stuff seem to just populate odd chanels.
The first 10 are always fine ( once bbc 3 & 4 are up and running ), but then there is no info at most other channels including ITV4,5*,5USA,Film4, etc.
Fastscan is loaded into the Auto start folder, but both epg's dont seem to "catch on". What Have I done wrong since the switchover.
Geoff Bacon
Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 3855
Suggest you create a brand new thread rather than "contaminate" this thread which is about "TAP Guides for Newbies".
(perhaps a moderator could move it to a new thread?)

Geoff

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; EPG2MEI v0.96; QuickJump 1.72; MyStuff 6.6; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; MHEG On/Off A3; MyInfo B5.6; WSSkiller V2.12d; CrashTrace v0.4; fsSave 1.1; PruneEPG 1.0;
Sig generated by MyInfo on 17/1/16