Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Computer connections  ~  Convert .rec files to DVD guide.

Page 22 of 22
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22
Darucla
Posted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 06 Jun 2007 Posts: 1440 Location: Norwich
Doct0r wrote:
Files that had previously burnt to DVD refusing to even be re-encoded. One set of files that would comfortably fit on a disk, about 3GB, being re-encoded to only 1GB, making it very pixelated.

As soon as I downgraded from 3.20.2.609 back to 3.1.5.564, all problems went away. I'm surprised they've done an update, two years since the last one.

I've posted on the VideoReDo forums but thought I'd ask here, see if anyone re-encoding .rec had issues.

Only just saw this. Sorry, as I did ask for details in the first place. Embarassed Unfortunately, I don't bother with making dvds any more, as I keep everything on my network, using media players to watch. But I did find a number of errors occurring with Version 4, which then seemed to spread backwards to version 3, mainly to do with files not outputting after being edited, causing a crash. I found that the secret options menu (Tools- shift+options) was helpful then, especially setting the buffers to a higher figure. Buit this was the only issue I've faced.

Doct0r
Posted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 01 Jun 2010 Posts: 353 Location: Birmingham
This was the one time I didn't delete the old program so I downgraded and haven't had any issues since. The new version didn't add any options and V4 is not required yet so I'll stick with the older 3.15 as it works.

Sticking with the new version and using the secret menu might have worked, I might check again when I get time and post any solution here.

Fangio
Posted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Tricki wrote:

I have found a good free program for getting the Toppy files to DVD (and many other formats).

You will need the following 2 programs installed:

http://www.soniclife.byethost7.com/zips/ProjectX.zip
http://www.freemake.com/free_video_converter/

1 - Use Project X to create an m2p file, see the guide below for a how to (section 2).

http://www.toppy.org.uk/documents/Make_DVDv0F.pdf

2 - Rename the Project X m2p file to mpg using windows explorer
3 - Open the renamed mpg files in Freemake Video Converter
4 - Select the "to DVD" option

Step 1, using Project X, can be avoided - simply replacing the REC extension with TS means that Freemake will accept the file.

I've only just started playing with Freemake, but it allows conversions between many formats with no lip sync problems.

It's been given a 5 star rating in the April 2011 edition of Computer Shopper so I thought I'd give it a go - seems OK so far!
Ken
Posted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 23 May 2005 Posts: 33
Brilliant, renaming to .ts and using Freemake, works prefectly. Thanks.
Doct0r
Posted: Thu May 26, 2011 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 01 Jun 2010 Posts: 353 Location: Birmingham
Has anyone had to re-encode using VideoReDo? I've asked on their forum to see how much quicker it could be using a multi-core processor. No responses yet so thought I'd ask here.

I know it can take a long time depending on your system. I just want to know if it's worth going for a hex core or just a quad.

I'm using a single core and it can take about 4 hours to re-encode using the double pass method. Just converting .rec ready for a DVD can take half an hour.

Darucla
Posted: Thu May 26, 2011 7:05 pm Reply with quote
I can go from rec file to edited dvd in much less than an hour, more like 15 minutes max, on an old dual core PC with 2GB RAM. An average film of around 2-3GB takes 3 or 4 minutes to convert to MKV. HD WTV files from PC satellite card take about 15 minutes for the same. These are without any recoding of course. I never recode with VRD, and probably would never consider it with MPEG 2 files.

This thread http://www.videoredo.net/msgBoard/showthread.php?t=28519 deals with recoding issues.

RBZ5416
Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:30 am Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 20 Feb 2007 Posts: 34
What's the latest on recoding .rec files for streaming to a media player?

I've been having a play around for the first time in years due to trying to salvage files from a Toppy disk crash. Rather than just put them back on a new disk on the Toppy I was looking at putting them on my WHS to be streamed. The first thing I noticed is that using MPEG StreamClip to convert from REC to AVI resulted in a file five times the size of the original. Now I know disk space is cheap but it's not THAT cheap! Especially when it's also got to be backed up (this time... Embarassed).
acudlip
Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 28 Nov 2005 Posts: 74
I still use Soniclife's rec2mpg code to convert it on my PC. Gets backed up to Buffalo linkstation where its streamed to my Sony TV or PS3.

Works just fine. I did try rec2mkv, but that either wouldn't stream from the linkstation or wasn't recognised on the TV. As I had a solution anyway, I didn't investigate further.

RBZ5416
Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 20 Feb 2007 Posts: 34
Thanks for that. Just tried to download it but there seems to be a problem, as each time it produces a file of different size (none of which are the 2.5MB it's supposed to be) & it won't extract.

I've posted on his thread but it looks to be dormant.
Darucla
Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Depending on your media player, try MpegStreamclip tp convert to mpg or ts, which should require no recode, and take a couple of seconds. You could just rename the files, but not all media players are comfortable with Topfield .ts files. eg, Popcornhour will play them ,but with reduced FF/RW functions.

leona
Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:27 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 07 Nov 2010 Posts: 149 Location: Devon, UK (Tx: Stockland Hil)
Fangio wrote:
Step 1, using Project X, can be avoided - simply replacing the REC extension with TS means that Freemake will accept the file.

I've only just started playing with Freemake, but it allows conversions between many formats with no lip sync problems.

It's been given a 5 star rating in the April 2011 edition of Computer Shopper so I thought I'd give it a go - seems OK so far!

Ken wrote:
Brilliant, renaming to .ts and using Freemake, works prefectly. Thanks.

FreeMaker does look great, nice easy and Simple tool, well done for finding it.

I am using this program on my Windows XP Laptop and it did seem to convert them, I choose MP4, but upon trying to play them, I got no sound ? It could be that Windoze doesn't have the right codec to play them, so I'll try transferring them to my main Linux machine tonight, but has anyone else had this problem, no audio?

EDIT: Yep it was WinDoze, as it played fine on my Linux machine.

PS: If you are a Linux user, Handbrake can read the native .rec files without renaming and its quicker at converting them, just thought I'd mention that.

Leona
-------
Toppy: Pre facelift TF5800 Age: 2005 PSU Refurb: 04/2011 TV: Panasonic TH42PX60B 42" Plasma.
IA: Off TS: On F/W: MS6 Rec: 5.13.65T Dated: 12/9/09 -Sy+Pe TAPs: EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.4; Font Manager 1.0d; MyInfo B5.5; TAP Commander 1.34; HDDInfo; MyInfo Sig 14/4/11.
HDD: WD / WD5000AADS / 500Gb Topfield SATA Adaptor PC OS: Ubuntu (12.04)
aekostas
Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 20 Jun 2007 Posts: 220 Location: Craigkelly Tx
Freemake seems to work very well out of the box. The search is over...

Twangothan
Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:48 am Reply with quote
I've been using Streamclip for a number of years quite happily but lately when I convert to mpag from .rec the converted file is fuzzy. Sound is OK but the picture is out of focus. I've tried a few options but no joy. Any ideas? One thing is the video setting is 401 rather than 501 in the guide, whatever than means, and i can't find any way of changing it. Anyway, it used to be fine.

Meanwhile I'm trying Freemake. When I load the .rec Freemake plays it OK but when I hit convert to mpeg it just sits there, doing nothing. 0% converted....

Arrrgh

Someone help!