Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2
100949football
Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:31 am Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 16 Apr 2006 Posts: 39 Location: Falkirk, scotland
juwlz wrote:
alan_m wrote:
juwlz wrote:
re-running the Firmware installer should be a piece of cake.
Running the firmware installer on a MAC may be a problem Sad but using HDFW again shouldn't Smile
Oops! Missed / forgot the Mac bit of the equation. Sorry.
alan_m wrote:
A firmware transfer could take approx 0.5 hour @ 9600 baud
... or a minute or two at most over USB.

Julie

Hi friend,

I'm still desparate to avoid the "pain" of Mac firmware update. Unplugging and reconnecting machine etc and moving to be near the Mac etc. AND remembering how I did the last one - which I felt was a bit hit or miss I must admit.

Doing a transfer - machine to machine - still appears a much easier option for me.
Would I cause any harm to at least attempt it via rs232?????
What is the worst that could happen?
alan_m
Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:00 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 17 Oct 2006 Posts: 3201 Location: Southchurch Village, Southend-on-Sea
100949football wrote:

It's virtually impossible to "brick" a Toppy in a way that you cannot recover.

The worst that is likely to happen is that transferring the firmware doesn't work and the original firmware on the 2nd machine gets corrupted and you are left with a seemingly dead box.

In this situation you will have to install the firmware in the old fashioned way. Microsoft windows users would have to use TFDN_USB but you are using a MAC and I believe the equivalent is ToFi which you have so far failed to get working on your first machine.

You do however have the advantage of having your first machine still working and you can experiment with getting ToFi working.

As you are discovering no-one on these forums appears to have used the RS232/RS232 method for transferring firmware so I doubt if anyone is going to give you a warm feeling about it working or not.

100949football
Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:22 am Reply with quote
alan_m wrote:
100949football wrote:

It's virtually impossible to "brick" a Toppy in a way that you cannot recover.

The worst that is likely to happen is that transferring the firmware doesn't work and the original firmware on the 2nd machine gets corrupted and you are left with a seemingly dead box.

In this situation you will have to install the firmware in the old fashioned way. Microsoft windows users would have to use TFDN_USB but you are using a MAC and I believe the equivalent is ToFi which you have so far failed to get working on your first machine.

You do however have the advantage of having your first machine still working and you can experiment with getting ToFi working.

As you are discovering no-one on these forums appears to have used the RS232/RS232 method for transferring firmware so I doubt if anyone is going to give you a warm feeling about it working or not.

I presume there would be no harm done to the data / programmes already recorded on the hard drive?
alan_m
Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 17 Oct 2006 Posts: 3201 Location: Southchurch Village, Southend-on-Sea
100949football wrote:

I presume there would be no harm done to the data / programmes already recorded on the hard drive?

I doubt if anyone can give a definitive answer as what happens with corrupted firmware is unpredictable but the risk is probably very low as
firmware is not on the hard drive - that's why you can run a Toppy as a basic Freeview receiver with the hard disk removed.

Geoff Bacon
Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 11 Jan 2007 Posts: 3120 Location: Bristol ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ Windows XP, USB
I suggest you just do what you did on the first toppy but, this time, make copious notes of how you did it. This will help you if/when you have to repeat the exercise.

Geoff

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; QuickJump 1.72; MyInfo B5.6; Font Manager 1.0d; EPG2MEI v0.96; CrashTrace v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; Extend v1.7; WSSkiller V2.12d; SecCache (UK) v0.4; MyStuff 6.5;
Sig generated by MyInfo on 6/9/13
™
100949football
Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Geoff Bacon wrote:
I suggest you just do what you did on the first toppy but, this time, make copious notes of how you did it. This will help you if/when you have to repeat the exercise.

Geoff

many thanks to all who have responded..............I'll just have to be brave and get on with!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When I pluck up the courage I'll report back.
Morley
Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:39 am Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 19 Sep 2007 Posts: 61 Location: Oxford
I understand you are struggling to install updated firmware with a Mac. Why do you continue to inflict pain upon yourself? Surely you have a friend, relation or work colleague who might lend you their laptop to perform the task? Just a thought Laughing
100949football
Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:48 am Reply with quote
Morley wrote:
I understand you are struggling to install updated firmware with a Mac. Why do you continue to inflict pain upon yourself? Surely you have a friend, relation or work colleague who might lend you their laptop to perform the task? Just a thought Laughing

Now that IS a good idea..........many thanks!

Now I need a friend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
juwlz
Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:48 am Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10371 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
Bearing in mind the trouble you had with the Mac,
  • find yourself a friend with a Windows XP laptop (not a 64 bit Vista or Win 7 one)
  • Read the instructions on the Toppy firmware updates page before you start
  • In particular, make sure you download AND INSTALL the Topfield Tools for Windows BEFORE you connect the Toppy to the laptop
Julie

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
alan_m
Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:21 pm Reply with quote

Now that really will confuse him Smile The link no longer works

The Turbosat link still does:

http://www.turbosatdownloads.com/index.php?option=com_rokdownloads&view=folder&Itemid=11&id=2080:software
Scroll down to the end for the Topfield Toolset for Windows

DO NOT INSTALL ANY FIRMWARE YOU MAY FIND ON THE SAME PAGE

Note to admins - As many of the external links to Topfield are going missing wasn't Nigel going to get a copy of the tools to put on this site?

juwlz
Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:00 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10371 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
alan_m wrote:
Now that really will confuse him Smile The link no longer works
Oops! I'd forgotten that.

Of course, just redirecting the link to the download on the Turbosat site would be a quick and easy "fix" for Nigel to make Wink.

Julie

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
underquark
Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:19 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 06 Oct 2005 Posts: 1776
You have a working Toppy with an empty drive. You have a Toppy with a drive full of precious recordings but duff firmware. Swap the drives until you sort out the firmware issue?

5xTF5800PVR - 1 organ-donor, 1 for experimenting on, 2 x 250Gb and 1 x 500Gb (Seagate ST3500630A, no fan), one Toppy with UPS and dedicated aerial; MyStuff 6.3; QuickJump 1.72; EPG2 MEI; MEISearch 1.37; Various remotes - URC8820 (my fav.), URC8910 (for SWMBO), URC7562 (to learn new codes) programmed using tools from the excellent JP1 site.
alan_m
Posted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:47 am Reply with quote
underquark wrote:
You have a working Toppy with an empty drive. You have a Toppy with a drive full of precious recordings but duff firmware. Swap the drives until you sort out the firmware issue?

From previous posts, I'm not sure that Toppy 1, with the new firmware, is squeaky clean. The only TAP run on the machine was HDFW and the usual "problem" areas spotted by MyInfo, CO etc. may not have been identified.