Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Computer connections  ~  Aldarin's tfdll.dll now available for 64-bit Windows

Page 5 of 7
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
andyfras
Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:05 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 25 Jul 2005 Posts: 3091 Location: Fleet, Hampshire (Hannington)
Since I upgraded to this new version of TfDll.dll in order to run Antares (WinXP, 32bit), I have found that TFDN_USB.exe no longer works. I went with Top Manager's advice about replacing TfDll.dll wherever it occurred, and I think I may have gone too far.

I find TFDN_USB.exe very useful, especially when repairing Toppies, as sometimes there is no working HDD and the firmware needs upgrading, or I need to load Empty Settings.

Is there a way to make TFDN_USB.exe work, or do I need to go back to Altair and the old TfDll.dll?

URC-7555 remote: TF5800 1TB with fan, Recommended_5800.tfd + CfPePsScWfZ
qubits
Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:46 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 26 May 2010 Posts: 164 Location: Australia
The problem is, I don't think TFDN-USB.exe uses tfdll.dll to communicate with the toppy. TFDN-USB seems to access the driver directly. (This is just going on the fact that the zip file TFDN-USB_8402.zip only contains 4 files: TFDN-USB.exe, TfBulk.sys, TfBulk.ini, and NcGen.sys). If that's the case, TFDN-USB won't work with the winusb driver, regardless of which version of tfdll.dll you are using.

I had thought that using the HDFW tap was a good way for Antares users to install firmware; but I hadn't thought about the problem of a toppy without a hard drive.

Perhaps ftpd-topfield is the solution? I made availiable a version here that works under windows and uses the winusb driver. It has a firmware updating capability. As far as I know it doesn't depend on a hard drive being present, but it probably does require that the toppy at least be able to be booted up.

This gives me an idea. I should probably just rip out the firmware-updating code from ftpd-topfield and add it as a feature to Antares.

Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:53 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 25 Jul 2005 Posts: 3091 Location: Fleet, Hampshire (Hannington)
OK, I'll give ftpd-topfield a try. Thanks for the suggestion.

URC-7555 remote: TF5800 1TB with fan, Recommended_5800.tfd + CfPePsScWfZ
ccs
Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:23 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 30 Oct 2007 Posts: 1937 Location: E Yorkshire Belmont Transmitter
ccs wrote:
I'm wanting to start using Altair on Windows 7 64 bit, and find this thread a bit confusing. Am I right to follow....
qubits wrote:
If you've never installed any of the standard Topfield tools or drivers before, and you only care about running Altair, then the following should be a fairly foolproof way of getting Altair to run under 64-bit windows. (And it doesn't involve using a command window with administrator privileges).
1) Create a folder called "Altair" inside your My Documents folder.
2) Download Altair_1.250.zip from the Topfield website. Unzip the file so that its contents are in your new Altair folder.
3) Of the new files that you unzipped, delete the following: tfdll.dll, tfbulk.sys, and tfbulk.ini.
4) Copy Aldarin's version of tfdll.dll to your Altair folder.

5) Follow all the instructions for installing Antares. Run Antares.exe, and verify that it can access the Topfield (thus verifying that the drivers were installed correctly).
6) Now you should just be able to double click Altair_1.250.exe whenever you wish to run Altair.
until the bit about installing Antares, and then do this....
qubits wrote:
I have now created a new utility, z4t, which provides a much simpler way of installing the libusb-winusb drivers for the toppy.

Download and run z4t.exe. If you haven't already done so, plug your topfield in. Then click Install Driver. You might need to also click "Install this driver software anyway" if Windows pops up a warning.

That's it! After doing this, you can run Altair, so long as you have placed Altair_1.250.exe and Aldarin's dll in the same folder. (But then again, why would you run Altair when you can run Antares instead? :wink: )

If there is already a driver installed (such as tfbulk.sys, if you're using 32-bit windows), z4t will replace the existing driver with libusb-winusb. z4t runs on all 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows from XP to 7.
Thanks.
This has been confirmed as ok for Altair, but am I right in saying that TFDN_USB.exe will not work with Windows 7 64bit?

ccsx
qubits
Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:48 am Reply with quote
That's correct. There are other options though. You could use the HDFW tap, or you could use the Windows version of ftpd-topfield. I also plan to add a firmware updater to Antares soon.

Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 30 Oct 2007 Posts: 1937 Location: E Yorkshire Belmont Transmitter
qubits wrote:
That's correct. There are other options though. You could use the HDFW tap, or you could use the Windows version of ftpd-topfield. I also plan to add a firmware updater to Antares soon.
That's a shame - I much prefer to maintain patches and create firmwares on a pc, and then TFDN_USB them to the toppy - it's so much easier. Smile

ccsx
qubits
Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:30 pm Reply with quote
ccs wrote:
I much prefer to maintain patches and create firmwares on a pc, and then TFDN_USB them to the toppy - it's so much easier. Smile

Don't worry, the new firmware updating feature of Antares will be just as easy to use as TFDN_USB Smile

Posted: Tue May 03, 2011 9:44 am Reply with quote
ccs wrote:
I'm wanting to start using Altair on Windows 7 64 bit, and find this thread a bit confusing. Am I right to follow....
qubits wrote:
If you've never installed any of the standard Topfield tools or drivers before, and you only care about running Altair, then the following should be a fairly foolproof way of getting Altair to run under 64-bit windows. (And it doesn't involve using a command window with administrator privileges).
1) Create a folder called "Altair" inside your My Documents folder.
2) Download Altair_1.250.zip from the Topfield website. Unzip the file so that its contents are in your new Altair folder.
3) Of the new files that you unzipped, delete the following: tfdll.dll, tfbulk.sys, and tfbulk.ini.
4) Copy Aldarin's version of tfdll.dll to your Altair folder.

5) Follow all the instructions for installing Antares. Run Antares.exe, and verify that it can access the Topfield (thus verifying that the drivers were installed correctly).
6) Now you should just be able to double click Altair_1.250.exe whenever you wish to run Altair.
until the bit about installing Antares, and then do this....
qubits wrote:
I have now created a new utility, z4t, which provides a much simpler way of installing the libusb-winusb drivers for the toppy.

Download and run z4t.exe. If you haven't already done so, plug your topfield in. Then click Install Driver. You might need to also click "Install this driver software anyway" if Windows pops up a warning.

That's it! After doing this, you can run Altair, so long as you have placed Altair_1.250.exe and Aldarin's dll in the same folder. (But then again, why would you run Altair when you can run Antares instead? :wink: )

If there is already a driver installed (such as tfbulk.sys, if you're using 32-bit windows), z4t will replace the existing driver with libusb-winusb. z4t runs on all 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows from XP to 7.
Thanks.
Just to confirm that I've successfully got Altair 64bit Windows 7 working.

One minor typo in the instructions.... tfbulk.ini should read tfbulk.inf

ccsx
qubits
Posted: Tue May 03, 2011 11:16 am Reply with quote
Good to hear. Thanks for spotting the typo.

Posted: Mon May 09, 2011 9:50 am Reply with quote
qubits wrote:
ccs wrote:
I much prefer to maintain patches and create firmwares on a pc, and then TFDN_USB them to the toppy - it's so much easier. Smile

Don't worry, the new firmware updating feature of Antares will be just as easy to use as TFDN_USB Smile
Any news on this new feature? Smile

ccsx
qubits
Posted: Mon May 09, 2011 11:28 am Reply with quote
ccs wrote:
Any news on this new feature? Smile

I haven't started doing the coding for this feature yet, but it's next on my list. It should be ready in about two or three weeks.

Posted: Tue May 10, 2011 9:51 am Reply with quote
qubits wrote:
ccs wrote:
Any news on this new feature? :)

I haven't started doing the coding for this feature yet, but it's next on my list. It should be ready in about two or three weeks.
That's great - thanks for all your hard work.

I think some kind of solution, whether it be TFDN_USB or Antares is important - emptysettings, for example, can only be used in this way.

Maybe the serial port firmware updater will work? Anyone any idea where TFD-DOWN can be found?

edit: Found it here. Not working unfortunately - gets as far as DN19 followed by E-03 on the display. When I "find" the firmware to download and select it, the path is not displayed correctly. "\" comes out as W with a horizontal line thru' it.

Realterm seems to confirm that the serial port is ok.

ccsx
ccs
Posted: Wed May 11, 2011 11:20 am Reply with quote
ccs wrote:
qubits wrote:
ccs wrote:
Any news on this new feature? :)

That's great - thanks for all your hard work.

I think some kind of solution, whether it be TFDN_USB or Antares is important - emptysettings, for example, can only be used in this way.

Maybe the serial port firmware updater will work? Anyone any idea where TFD-DOWN can be found?

edit: Found it here. Not working unfortunately - gets as far as DN19 followed by E-03 on the display. When I "find" the firmware to download and select it, the path is not displayed correctly. "\" comes out as W with a horizontal line thru' it.

Realterm seems to confirm that the serial port is ok.

I've managed to do a firmware update using Topset via the Serial Port on windows 7 64bit.

Just to clarify, I'm using a usb to serial adapter to connect the pc to the toppy, so I installed Topset into a folder with the new tfdll.dll.
(Process Explorer actually says tfdll.dll is being used) It doesn't need to run in compatibility mode either.

ccsx
clemenzina
Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:38 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 20 Jan 2009 Posts: 114 Location: Crystal Palace Tx
qubits wrote:

I've been going nutz for 2 hours (allowing for drama queen tendencies) trying to install MyStuff 6.4 via my Windows7 64-bit system and being unable to connect. Somehow, somehow I found your post and your driver has saved my sanity. Thank you so much.

I hope nobody expects me to update MyInfo, I just can't take any more.

clemenzina Embarassed

Sig generated by MyInfo on 10/8/10
phenoboy
Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:39 pm Reply with quote
I successfully installed installed libusb drivers (z4t.exe installer) and it found my Toppy. OS is Windows 7 64-bit.

But this is strange:

I tried Antares for copying files. It finds toppy and shows listing of every directory. But when I try to copy files it doesn't reallly copy anything but a file with 0 bytes is created. And yes the filenames are legal.

I tried the same with puppy in Linux and the result was the same - file created with 0 bytes.

The filename I try to transfer is DataFiles\Kaapo-7.rec