Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Computer connections  ~  Aldarin's tfdll.dll now available for 64-bit Windows

Page 3 of 7
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
ronin4
Posted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:53 am Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 10 Aug 2007 Posts: 68 Location: sussex
Just completed install and have Altair 1.250 up and running on W7 64bit - took 5mins.

If I can remember sequence, it goes like this (mine was a fresh install BTW)

create Altair folder - somewhere convenient for you.

unzipped topfield-libusb-winusb.zip into it (drivers folder is created).
http://users.on.net/%7Ehenry/antares/topfield-libusb-winusb.zip

opened 'Devices and Printers' in Start Menu.
right clicked on unknown device (the toppy).
right clicked on properties and drilled down through all options until Windows asked for a driver to install. I can't duplicate this now as it's working, but you might try the troubleshooting wizard if you can't get a response.
in the install driver wizard, browse to the Altair\drivers folder and select that - yes the folder.
Windows says 'install non-certified driver?' yes.
Drivers and Printers will now show 'Topfield (libusb-winusb)' device.
download Altair 1.250 from Topfield site and unzip into Altair folder.

http://www.i-topfield.com/eng/download/utility_view.asp?idx=13&tb=&tn=utility

This is the only link I could find but I am looking for 64bit W7 ?

delete Tfbulk.sys, Tfbulk.inf & TfDll.dll files in the Altair folder and unzip tfdll4winusb1_03.zip into it.
Double click on Altair_1.250.exe and away you go.
you can pin Altair to the quick launch bar for convenience.

One less reason for having a dual boot system now. Thanks to everyone who contributed.[/quote]

Hope you dont mind me nicking your post ~Clwyd, I knw you were going by memory so please dont take this to be criticism or anything like that.
I am trying to find, what you were trying to do, a step by simple- for the idiots like me- step way of being able to move pc to toppy with Windows7 64bit. I am a bit nervous when it comes to messing around with drivers and want to find a clear procedure to follow before I start, but the Topfield sitte only caters for Altair for Vista. So can anyone tell me where I find W7 / 64?
qubits
Posted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:04 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 26 May 2010 Posts: 164 Location: Australia
ronin4 wrote:
Hope you dont mind me nicking your post ~Clwyd

Actually, it's really hard at first glance to tell which parts of your post are you writing, and which parts are quoted from Clwyd. Using the "quote" tag would have made things much clearer! Just a suggestion Wink

ronin4 wrote:
http://www.i-topfield.com/eng/download/utility_view.asp?idx=13&tb=&tn=utility

This is the only link I could find but I am looking for 64bit W7 ?

This is indeed the correct link. Topfield don't make a Windows 7 version of Altair, so you have to use the Vista version from the above link, but carry out extra steps to get it working properly with Windows 7 64-bit.

ronin4 wrote:
So can anyone tell me where I find W7 / 64?

This thread and my other thread are, to the best of my knowledge, the only places on the internet that describe how to get Altair running directly under Windows 7 64-bit.

To recap what you need to do:

Download Altair_1.250.zip from the topfield site, and unzip it. Like Clwyd said, you then must delete three of the four files that you unzipped, and keep only Altair_1.250.exe.

Next, you must download tfdll4winusb1_03.zip, and unzip it. This gives you a file tfdll.dll. You need to then move that file so that it is in the same folder as Altair_1.250.exe. Now, whenever you need to run Altair, you just double-click Altair_1.250.exe, and it will load.

After those steps, Altair will run, but won't be able to connect to the topfield. You must install the 64-drivers before Altair will be able to connect. Please try the relatively simple steps described in this post. If you have any trouble with what is described in that post, please let me know, and I'll help further. These 64-bit drivers are not from topfield, but I don't think this makes them any more risky. However, you must use your own judgement about this. At present, the choice is either use these drivers, or use a different operating system.

Posted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:21 pm Reply with quote
I have now created a new utility, z4t, which provides a much simpler way of installing the libusb-winusb drivers for the toppy.

Download and run z4t.exe. You'll get the following window:

If you haven't already done so, plug your topfield in. Then click Install Driver. You might need to also click "Install this driver software anyway" if Windows pops up a warning.

That's it! After doing this, you can run Altair, so long as you have placed Altair_1.250.exe and Aldarin's dll in the same folder. (But then again, why would you run Altair when you can run Antares instead? Wink )

If there is already a driver installed (such as tfbulk.sys, if you're using 32-bit windows), z4t will replace the existing driver with libusb-winusb. z4t runs on all 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows from XP to 7.

I created z4t by modifying the program Zadig, by Pete Batard. (I mentioned Zadig before in an earlier post). I can provide the source code for z4t to anyone who wants it.

Posted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:54 am Reply with quote
...except that the first version that I uploaded had a bug which, in some circumstances, caused the drivers to work with Antares but not Altair Sad
(The problem was that z4t was using a different GUID to the one I gave Aldarin).

Anyways, if you were experiencing such an issue, please download and run it again.

Okay, so now z4t provides a much simpler way of installing the libusb-winusb drivers Embarassed. (Fingers crossed).

Posted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:18 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Apr 2005 Posts: 5617 Location: Cheltenham
Aha, I was wondering why Anares worked but not ftp4t and Topset.

Any ideas if it would be possible to add some context menu actions to the Topfield item Devices and Printers?
qubits
Posted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:44 am Reply with quote
simonc wrote:
Any ideas if it would be possible to add some context menu actions to the Topfield item Devices and Printers?

I wouldn't really know, to tell the truth. But it sounds like an interesting idea. What type of thing were you imagining putting in the context menu?

Posted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:15 pm Reply with quote
I got Antares working on windows 7 64 bit but I don't seem to be able to get the firmware updater to work even though it shows the usb working after Antares was installed.

Anyone got any ideas of a way to do the firmware or is it still touch and go at the moment?

simonc
Posted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Apr 2005 Posts: 5617 Location: Cheltenham
Here's a registry script that'll add some context menu entries for Topset and ftp4t

Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\DeviceDisplayObject\HardwareId\USB#VID_11DB&PID_1000]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\DeviceDisplayObject\HardwareId\USB#VID_11DB&PID_1000\Shell]
@="Topset"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\DeviceDisplayObject\HardwareId\USB#VID_11DB&PID_1000\Shell\FtpServer]
@="FTP Server"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\DeviceDisplayObject\HardwareId\USB#VID_11DB&PID_1000\Shell\FtpServer\command]
@="\"C:\\Program Files\\Topfield\\ftp4t\\ftp4t.exe\" /start"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\DeviceDisplayObject\HardwareId\USB#VID_11DB&PID_1000\Shell\Topset]
@="Top Set"
"DefaultAppliesTo"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\DeviceDisplayObject\HardwareId\USB#VID_11DB&PID_1000\Shell\Topset\command]
@="\"C:\\Program Files\\Topfield\\Topset\\Topset.exe\""

Copy this into a .reg file, edit the paths to something more suitable.
dedics
Posted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 07 Aug 2005 Posts: 310
Hi Chaps,
I have a bit of a problem with transferring data files from the toppy to the computer, I was able to tranfer files ok to my old computer (Win xp sp3) and the new computer runs topset and antares okay with windows 7 for small files like radio times epg files, but I can't get any files of recorded tv from the toppy to the computer.

Fine I thought, I bet it's because I have a very long usb lead with repeaters, so today I go to try and transfer files to the laptop (windows xp sp2 and altair) from the toppy using a short passive usb lead, and again no joy.

There seems to be a problem with the usb transfer out for large files.

Does anyone have any ideas what might be happening? I can transfer small (Few MB) tap files off with no problem just not any programme ones, I have the usb accelerator patches applied to the firmware could this be the problem or is here a problem with the driver?

I'm asking here because I have always had this problem with antares but it wasn't really affecting my use, but now I want to archive some stuff and it would be useful to get to the bottom of it.

dedics

Sig generated by MyInfo on 24/9/09
Geoff Bacon
Posted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 11 Jan 2007 Posts: 2987 Location: Bristol ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ Windows XP, USB
Quote:
so today I go to try and transfer files to the laptop (windows xp sp2 and altair) from the toppy

Recordings commonly have characters in their names that aren't permitted on windows (typically colon but there are others). Suggest you use Antares (I believe this automatically changes the name) or rename in Altair before transferring the file (ok for a one off but a pain if you are transferring lots of files)

Geoff

Edited: the invalid chars are \ / : * ? " < > and |

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; QuickJump 1.72; MyInfo B5.6; Font Manager 1.0d; EPG2MEI v0.96; CrashTrace v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; Extend v1.7; WSSkiller V2.12d; SecCache (UK) v0.4; MyStuff 6.5;
Sig generated by MyInfo on 6/9/13
™
ryclark
Posted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 10 Jul 2005 Posts: 1549 Location: Shropshire
Another possibility is that power saving on your laptop is turning off power to your USB ports automatically after a certain period. Check power saving options and USB power settings.

™
Darucla
Posted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 06 Jun 2007 Posts: 1423 Location: Norwich
You also need a modified TFDll.dll for use with the USB accelerator patches. I always have trouble finding it, so can't actually give you a link...
Geoff Bacon
Posted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 11 Jan 2007 Posts: 2987 Location: Bristol ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ Windows XP, USB
If you think the dll does not support the accelerator patches, try TopManager (link in my signature). Choose "Tools|DLLs" and scroll down looking for the warning triangle, Right click on the folder, position to the offending DLL, right click and choose "Replace DLL". Note: as this will probably be the first time you have run TM, you may have to wait a couple of minutes before the "Tools|DLLs" option is enabled (TM scans your pc disks in the background).

Note: for Altair and TopManager, you must plug the USB cable into a USB socket that you originally used to install the Topfield drivers (if you let windows choose a driver for you or plug it into another socket then it won't work)

Remember to exit TopManager before using Altair (you can only run one at a time).

Geoff

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; QuickJump 1.72; MyInfo B5.6; Font Manager 1.0d; EPG2MEI v0.96; CrashTrace v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; Extend v1.7; WSSkiller V2.12d; SecCache (UK) v0.4; MyStuff 6.5;
™
dedics
Posted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 07 Aug 2005 Posts: 310
I did check for silly characters that was the first of many obvious things I tried.

and the usb powerdown thing on the laptop too.

maybe the dll for usb patches is what I need, I'll play with top manager and see what that throws up.

I've got the updated dll for windows7 on my main computer, so I assume that's ok for use with the usb accelerator patches, there isn't a speciall dll for that is there?

dedics

Sig generated by MyInfo on 24/9/09
Geoff Bacon
Posted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:19 pm Reply with quote
TopManager provides it's own copy of the dll so you don't need to do anything special for TM (irrespective of the windows OS)

There is only one dll for W7 so, if you have one, it will be ok.

It is only older systems that are likely to have the wrong dll - it was created before the accelerator patches were written.

Geoff

™