Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Firmwares, enhancements and upgrades  ~  Upgrading the Topfield TF5800PVRt Hard Drive

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next
johnstar
Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:01 am Reply with quote
Upgrading the Topfield TF5800PVRt Hard Drive :

Its Christmas, the misses shouted out thereís only 20 minutes recording time left what are we going to do? Well stuff has got to be deleted but I will see about upgrading the hard drive.

Very low on space.

A brand new OEM Segate SATA II 2TB HD and a SATA to IDE adapter.

Both from Maplin :

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=351573

Adapter back

Adapter front

This isnít the cheapest SATA to IDE converter you can buy, but it doesnít have any open circuitry to worry about and no extra cables to buy.

New Drive, this was sold as a OEM 2TB SATA II HD, when I looked at the label it was good to see that the voltages are the same as the original but with the bonus of drawing less power to operate.

The adapter just plugs into the back of the new HD

Easy!

Inside the TF5800PVRt showing its 250gig HD.
A closer look :http://boxstr.net/files/7025775_ewwwa/inside.png

Unplug the IDE and power leads, undo the caddy screws, out it comes Önote the front / right foot of the caddy is sandwiched between the fixing and needs to be pulled to slide out.

Old drive out Ö. New drive in

A snag, the original IDE cable is going to be too short when I want to fit it back, but before rushing out to get a longer one lets see if the new HD will work first.
A closer look : :http://boxstr.net/files/7025776_zx4ug/snag.png

Powering up Ö

This is the message offered.

Here goes!

Looking good.

It worked!

I donít want to loose all the stuff on the original drive so over to the PC it goes, open up the side and disconnect the DVD drive and connect it to the original topfield HD, the new SATA drive connects to the mother board in the usual way, note there is open circuitry under a HD so a piece of paper for it to rest on is a good idea.

A closer look :http://boxstr.net/files/7025782_rmoa5/insidepc.png

Power up the pc, windows XP recognised the new drives but thankfully no wizards appeared if they had I would just cancel them because there is nothing to set up. Run TopfHDRW , it can be tricky to find so here it is: http://boxstr.net/files/7023141_avtii/TopfHDRW_Setup.zip

A closer look : http://boxstr.net/files/7025783_a14ms/screen.png

It found the Topfield HD instantly, the new HD was selected from the dropdown box on the right.

Ok, off to Maplins for a longer IDE cableÖÖ

Here it is, one end is in the adapter the other in the main board, I could cut the excess ribbon with a knife or scissors but its doing no harm folded up, it was the shortest IDE cable I could find and they all seem to come with a connector in the middle of the ribbon ( thatís the one I have used ).

A closer look :http://boxstr.net/files/7025785_nrzef/ide.png

Everything transferred from the old HD to the new HD on the pc without a hitch Ö. Letís see if it works Ö. I screwed the HD back on to its caddy with the adapter off, so the screw holes can be seen, and then connected the adapter to the new HD, it all fits with room to spare.

Powering up!

Well it worked perfectly, all the old stuff is there with the benefit of almost having 90% of the drive empty! It runs quiet and cool and was easy and fun to do.

Heres somthing that I have had for over a year now :

Netgear EVA9150 Digital Entertainer Elite

It has a interchangeable HD caddy in the front, a superb GUI, connects to the internet either wirelessly / wired, plays internet content such as YouTube, internet radio and a whole pile of other online stuff, but can also steam and play any content on your pc! but best of all you can transfer anything to its hard drive wirelessly / wired and it is guaranteed to play, AVI, DivX, Xvid WMV, MOV, M4V, MP4, VOB, MPG, MP1, MP2, MP4, ISO,IFO, MKV, TS and M2TS.

MP1, MP2, MP3, WMA, WMA-Pro, AAC, FLAC, AIFF, WAV, LPCM, Dolby
AC3 5.1 stereo downmix, Dolby AC3 5.1 passthrough, DTS 5.1 passthrough, Dolby TrueHD

Downmix, Dolby+ Passthrough and DTS-HD Master Audio passthrough

SUB, SRT, SMI, SAMI, TXT and DVD Subpicture

MP1, MP2, MP4, Xvid, VC-1/WMV-9, H.264 and OpenDivX.

There is nothing I have put on it that it canít play!

In a few words - A pirates dream-

Here is a fella doing a review, trust me itís even better than this :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3UUFz_WFxU&hd=1
mstombs
Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:27 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 31 Dec 2006 Posts: 652
Nice pics, and brave to pick a neat looking sata adaptor and big hard-disk not yet on the tested compatible lists!

http://forum.toppy.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14902
http://forum.toppy.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17720

I'm not so sure about your longer IDE cable, I had intermittent probs with a folded flat cable like that, but no probs since replacing with the short section from an 80-wire round cable such as

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350270217035

drive connector to motherboard needs hole drilled as Toppy has extra key pin.

Sig generated with help from MyInfo on 6/10/13
ô
johnstar
Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Cheers mstombs! I like the idea of that short rounded cable, at the first sign of a glitch that will be my next step.

The best about the adapter is that its advertised specifically to use to upgrade an old PVR HD to a new SATA HD.

As for the 2TB HD I can confirm its compatibility - flawless!
Bob_Swede
Posted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 22 Oct 2007 Posts: 1006 Location: Sweden
Please supply the exact type number of the hard disk so I can add it to the list of working disks. Very Happy

Also if you could give me the purchase data (name, website etc) of the SATA/IDE adapter you used I can also add that to the list of working adapters.

Thanks.

(EPG: XMLTV2Mei for Win + MyStuff)
(Toppy access: ASUS WL-500g-P FTP installed using chunkywizard's guide)
Sig partly gen. by MyInfo on 12/4/2013
mstombs
Posted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 31 Dec 2006 Posts: 652
Way up above is the sata convertor link

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=351573

and I deduced from the photos the actual hard-drive was

Seagate Model ST32000542AS SATA 3Gb/s 2TB 32MB

as Maplin do not seem to guarantee the make/model.

Sig generated with help from MyInfo on 6/10/13
ô
johnstar
Posted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Way down here too!

Here is a pic of the drive itís a 2TB SATA II HD from my local Maplin store in the UK on sale for £89.99 Order Code: A40JU

Seagate ST32000542AS 2.0 TB SATA 2011-01-01

The adapter was from the same store for £19.99 itís advertised as a SATA to IDE Adaptor for PVR/DVR/PC Order Code: N64HQ

Posted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 03 Feb 2008 Posts: 29 Location: East Midlands, Waltham Transmitter
Maplins are a tad expensive at £89.99 for the ST32000542AS. Aria.co.uk are currently selling them for £70.20.

juwlz
Posted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:18 am Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10275 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
Bob_Swede wrote:
Please supply the exact type number of the hard disk so I can add it to the list of working disks. Very Happy

Also if you could give me the purchase data (name, website etc) of the SATA/IDE adapter you used I can also add that to the list of working adapters.
Perhaps it would be wise to wait for a month or two, to confirm slightly longer term reliability, rather than adding it to a list that people may rely on for their own purchasing decisions, only to have it turn out to be unreliable after a few weeks' use.

Julie

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
jumbo
Posted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 11 Apr 2005 Posts: 4733
juwlz wrote:
Perhaps it would be wise to wait for a month or two, to confirm slightly longer term reliability, rather than adding it to a list that people may rely on for their own purchasing decisions, only to have it turn out to be unreliable after a few weeks' use.

Julie
Absolutely! Some people (mistakenly) think that once they get a hard drive "recognized" by the Toppy/SATA adapter card that is it; Far from it! There are all sorts of low-level peculiarities (some only revealed by particular TAPs or when certain Gb exceeded) that can cause misbehaviour.
Bob_Swede
Posted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 22 Oct 2007 Posts: 1006 Location: Sweden
juwlz wrote:
Bob_Swede wrote:

Julie

I'll wait a while then, but I always put in a date of report on each drive....

(EPG: XMLTV2Mei for Win + MyStuff)
(Toppy access: ASUS WL-500g-P FTP installed using chunkywizard's guide)
Sig partly gen. by MyInfo on 12/4/2013
johnstar
Posted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:44 pm Reply with quote
well its been 3 months and all is still well.

Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Johnstar,

Did you have any taps loaded or Autostarted after you did the 2TB disk drive upgrade? Just done an upgrade myself to 2TB, and toppy see it ok, formats it fine, but cannot load any taps, seems to go into a loop. Have to stop all the taps from loading, which is a nuisance, as I am using mystuff on it.

Ed
johnstar
Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:14 pm Reply with quote
yes, but only Automove & Extend.

I tried mysuff once and found it a bit bloated and unnecessary. ( only my opinion )

One thing to note with these massive drives is when your toppy boots up and the channel appears wait for the info box at the bottom of the screen to disappear before pressing the guide button or any other button for that matter, this gives your toppy time to sort its self out otherwise there's a danger of corrupting the drive ( nothing that Ext2Fsd cant fix easily ) but you can avoid the hassle by being patient for a few seconds.

Its still going strong so far so good!

Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:45 am Reply with quote
Hi John,

Thanks for getting back to me with regards to the above. I am really having a hard time trying to get this to work, Did you use the original cable? if not why not? I am currently using the original cable, and I think there might lie the problem (I am hoping). I heard some people on this forum talk about the 80pin cable.

Steps I have tried to do to get it to work,

Loaded individual taps manually. Just loading a tap in the AutoStart Directory, I get the loop problem. I am tried different taps, but it doesnt matter which one I used, if there is anything tap in the Autostart Directory, I get the loop problem. I can load the toppy without any taps in the AutoStart Directory, and I can also load them manually. I think I have got the latest firmware version which is

Loader Version: C5.14
Device Version: V5.3.36
Software version: TF-NPT 5.13.65T
Hardware Version: v1.01

Anyone any ideas???

Thanks

Ed
jumbo
Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:07 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 11 Apr 2005 Posts: 4733
  • How old is your Toppy?
  • What make/model is your 2Tb drive?
  • Assuming it is a SATA drive, what IDE/SATA are you using?
  • What made you upgrade the drive (old one packed up, other problems, needed more capacity)?
Solution to your problem will depend on the answers to ALL the above!

Do not copy TAPs from your old drive (via PC) to new drive. Download from relevant sites and configure from start (not using old config files). Load one-at-a-time automatically (i.e. in AutoStart) until you hit the problem one. If none give you a problem when loaded automatically but individually then try loading more than one at a time, e.g. keep adding to the AutoStart until a problem arises. When all appear in AutoSTart then load order is VERY important. Use TAPCommander to play around with load order.