Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Computer connections  ~  Getting Altair to Connect With Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next
mark.porthouse
Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Just thought that I would share my recipe on how I get my .rec files off my TF5800 onto my Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit PC - note that this also works for Windows 7 Professional:
1. Set up a "Windows XP Mode" Virtual PC in Windows 7.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/
2. Install Altair onto this virtual machine.
3. Install SyncToy 2.1 from Microsoft onto the virtual machine:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=c26efa36-98e0-4ee9-a7c5-98d0592d8c52&displaylang=en
4. Make Altair and SyncToy both "Windows XP Mode Applications" so that you can run them without seeing the desktop of the virtual machine - you just see the app windows in Windows 7.
5. Create an easily accessible folder in the VM - perhaps c:\topfield.
6. Create an easily accessible shared folder in Windows 7 - perhaps
C:\Users\Public\Recorded TV\Topfield
7. Run SyncToy (in the VM) and set up a pairing between these two folders - the Windows 7 folder will appear as a mapped network drive in the VM:
c on <win7hostname>
(Note that you may need to enable the 'Integration Features' in the VM - this is done on the VM window's 'Tools' menu.)
8. Log out of the VM (Start>Log off) and then when the VM shows a log on screen hibernate the VM.

Now you are ready to use this set up and shouldn't need to go back to any of the above steps:
1. In Windows 7 start menu
All Programs>Windows Virtual PC>Windows XP Mode Applications>Altair
2. Once Altair is running right click on the Altair item in your Windows 7 Task Bar and choose 'Manage USB Devices' and attach the topfield device (I'm assuming that your toppy is on and connected by usb to the Win 7 PC).
3. You will then be able to do any Topfield File Transfers as normal.
4. After your file transfers you can optionally close Altair, but you need to run SyncToy from the Windows 7 start menu:
All Programs>Windows Virtual PC>Windows XP Mode Applications>SyncToy
Once SyncToy comes up 'run' the sync.
5. Bingo - your .rec file is now on your Windows 7 PC at:

Naturally if you want to put a .rec file into your Toppy from your PC you need to run SyncToy first (after putting your .rec into
Then run Altair to move the file onto the Toppy.

I hope that this is useful. I know it isn't ideal as it introduces the extra folder sync step - but as there is no way to share a folder within the VM with the host Win 7 machine it seems to be the only option.

Mark
Scotty
Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:45 pm Reply with quote
That's interesting! Does your hardware support virtualisation in the CPUs?

I've tried running Virtualbox in XP x64, but haven't sussed out how to get it to run the USB drivers properly, as they aren't recognised on the host (x64) machine.

Graham
mark.porthouse
Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:14 am Reply with quote
Hi, I doubt that the hardware supports virtualisation at the CPU level. I'm running an Intel Core i5 CPU.

Yes, when the topfield is connected to the host Win 7 64bit machine no drivers can be loaded - as there are none. In device manager I'm currently seeing a category called 'Topfield USB devices' which contains an item 'Unknown Device'.

The new version of Microsoft Virtual PC for Windows 7 supports USB attaching. You basically hijack the relevant USB connected item in the VM - quite a nice solution really. It means that I can connect to anything USB from the VM - at which point the host machine 'loses' the USB item to the VM.

Mark
mark.porthouse
Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:17 am Reply with quote
Regarding CPU support:
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/windows-xp-mode-virtualization-intel,7709.html

So it looks like most Core 2's, Core i7's and 'the' Core i5 support it.

Mark
Scotty
Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Mark,

Thanks for the comments, I thought that it might be the virtualisation that would make the difference.

Unfortunately, as I am still running the original generation Opterons, I can't use this just yet!

Thanks again,

Graham
mr-b
Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:39 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 04 May 2006 Posts: 641 Location: Warks - Sutton Coldfield tx
I'm just about to head down the Win7/64 bit route so this info is v. useful - tx!

It turns out the h/w restriction is just a licensing thing - you can use other VM soln's http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/1999-63-windows-mode-hardware-virtualization.
It'd be good to hear other's experiences though before I plump for a CPU.

TAPs: PcControl B1.3; Macro V1.12; QuickJump 1.72; Extend v1.7; EPG2MEI v0.96; TF5000 Display v1.53; TAP Commander 1.34; MyInfo B5.6; MyStuff 6.5; MHEG Control B2.1; Font Manager 1.0d; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6;
Sig generated by MyInfo on 25/9/13™
Posted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 14 Dec 2005 Posts: 44 Location: Aylesbury, UK
I may be missing something and I don't have a cable long enough to test at the moment, but Altair does allow accessing mapped drives, so if you map your main topfield drive to \\tsclient\c\users\etc you should be able to avoid the synctoy issue altogether shouldn't you? I have an XP Mode that has a T: drive mapped in this way and it shows the files fine in Altair.

mr-b
Posted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 04 May 2006 Posts: 641 Location: Warks - Sutton Coldfield tx
I've just installed Win7/64 and can confirm that the above drive mapping method works fine! Nice to keep the integration just that one step simpler! Smile

(It did puzzle me why Altair couldn't see the Win7 host's local drive directly since it is visible in Explorer as "C on MY-PC". I guess this is some storage mapping method (TS?) that isn't visible by older apps ...)

Now all I need to do is work out how to run Altair in XP Mode from Win7 without starting up the XP VM manually first.

TAPs: PcControl B1.3; Macro V1.12; QuickJump 1.72; Extend v1.7; EPG2MEI v0.96; TF5000 Display v1.53; TAP Commander 1.34; MyInfo B5.6; MyStuff 6.5; MHEG Control B2.1; Font Manager 1.0d; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6;
Sig generated by MyInfo on 25/9/13™
Broomfondle
Posted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:52 am Reply with quote
This is a great tip. I use Digiguide and a utility to send the program listings to my Toppy. Won't work at all with Windows 7/64 but works fine using the XP VM.
Thanks Very Happy
phil solo
Posted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 06 Oct 2009 Posts: 40
I'm a bit stuck with this Sad

Installed Virtual Pc and the XPMode VM from the Microsoft site onto my Win7x64 hardware.

Got XP running on the Virtual Machine and installed Altair.

But Altair doesn't show up in my list of "Windows XP Mode Applications" under the Win7 Start Menu - how do I get it there? Do I need to install Altair under Win7 as well as on the VM and then change properties on the Win7 copy?

Also, attempting to avoid the need to always run synchronisaton between a VM folder and a Host folder, how do I map the VM folder into my Host? When I select Map Network Drive from My Computer the Browse lisy shows the XP VM but it won't connect and I get

"Windows cannot access \\VIRTUALXP-19420. Check the spelling of the name, otherwise there may be a problem with your network" and error code 0x80070035 Network Path cannot be found.

So what have I missed/done wrong? Question

Darucla
Posted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 06 Jun 2007 Posts: 1420 Location: Norwich
Unless you have another reason for running VM, there is now an easier way to access the Topfield from 64 bit windows, by using the new 64 bit dll. Look at http://forum.toppy.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17310&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

phil solo
Posted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 06 Oct 2009 Posts: 40
Didn't know about that - Perhaps the site maintainers might like to update the link from http://www.toppy.org.uk/services/fwbugs.php under the heading "No drivers for 64 bit Windows" (which currently links to this thread) to reflect the latest position?

Jeddy
Posted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 23 Dec 2008 Posts: 117
Hi, I know this topic is old now, but hopefully someone out there can help.

I've never managed to get my 5800 connected to Win7 Pro, either 32bit (home machine) or 64bit (work machine).

Given that I've tried loads of stuff I'd hate to think what mess I've got on my machines. I tried just installing Topfield Tools, I tried the Virtual XP PC mode.

I've now tried these drivers and I always get the same thing, a file will typically start transferring and after a while stop and show 0kb. Then each time I retry it quickly fails. Sometimes rebooting the Toppy allows me to try again - but I've not managed to transfer a file yet.

Is there any guidance as to how to clean my machines up and start from scratch and what I need to do please? I think the problem with these threads is that they can start with instructions which get modified and at the end I'm left confused as to what I need to do and which of the thread postings are relevant.

Any help please?
Thanks
Jeddy

Geoff Bacon
Posted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 11 Jan 2007 Posts: 2891 Location: Bristol ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ Windows XP, USB
No idea how you can clean up your pc re Virtual XP mode but there is no need to go down that route at all.

1) Start without toppy being connected to pc
2) Install this driver - it supports both 32 and 64 bit.
3) Connect toppy to pc when step 2 tells you to.

The above installs a driver for you.

Install Antares - this lets you perform similar operations to Altair

Alternatively, or in addition, install TopManager (link in my signature). This provides lots of features for managing your toppy. It only handles \ProgramFiles so you still need Antares if you want to copy/process recordings

If you want to use Altair or TopSet, install them on the pc and use the "Tools| DLLs| Show" option in TopManager. This will highlight the DLLs used by these programs when communicating with the toppy. Right Click a DLL and select "Fix DLL" from the popup menu. You can then use the product that you "fixed".

Cheers
Geoff

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; QuickJump 1.72; MyInfo B5.6; Font Manager 1.0d; EPG2MEI v0.96; CrashTrace v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; Extend v1.7; WSSkiller V2.12d; SecCache (UK) v0.4; MyStuff 6.5;
Sig generated by MyInfo on 6/9/13
™
Jeddy
Posted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 23 Dec 2008 Posts: 117
Thanks Geoff, I'll have a crack at that tomorrow.
Jeddy