Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  New users start here  ~  Problem installing drivers

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Marion
Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:51 am Reply with quote
I have recently purchased a 5810 having had a 5800 for many years when the 5800 died. The firmware on the 5810 seems to have problems so I decided to follow the advise here and update it to the T version from the currently installed + version (TG.NPT 5.15.09+).

The first step was to download and install the Topfield Tools to my XP laptop which I did successfully but after plugging in the PVR to the laptop and following the default suggestions to install the drivers the laptop appeared to hang at the end of the driver installation. The progress bar is at the end of the time line but never finishes. There appears to be no way to end the process and nothing seems respond. In the end I had to do a hard shut down by pressing and holding the on/off button. I tried again and the same thing happened. i have now tried to do a system restore to get rid of any half loaded drivers and that has failed too.

Does anybody have any suggestions? So far I don't know whether I've messed up my laptop and don't know what to do next.

Thanks for any help
andyfras
Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:18 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 25 Jul 2005 Posts: 3003 Location: Fleet, Hampshire (Hannington)
Right click on My Computer, select Properties, Hardware, Device Manager. Look for any device with a question mark and uninstall it.

You should then be able to start again. Make sure to install the driver before plugging in the Toppy.

URC-7555 remote: TF5800 1TB with fan, Recommended_5800.tfd + CfPePsScWfZ
Marion
Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:38 am Reply with quote
I've checked Device Manager and there are no ? entries so hopefully there is no problem ?!?

But how do I install the driver before plugging the PVR?

In the Topfield Directory, apart from pdf & text files, is:
TfDLL.dll
Uninstall.exe
Altair.exe
infocopy.exe
NcGen.sys
TfBulk.sys
TFDN_USB.exe
vega.exe

Thanks again.
kpee51
Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 02 Nov 2007 Posts: 69 Location: Hoddesdon, UK, Crystal Palace TX
Hi if your computer is a 64bit version USB drivers don't work.

Check the Antares 0.3 <<http://users.on.net/~henry/antares/>>
and the "Computer Connections" part of the forum.

Keith

Marion
Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Thanks but it is a 32 bit computer, so that's not the problem.
Doct0r
Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 01 Jun 2010 Posts: 353 Location: Birmingham
Unplug the Toppy from the laptop. Power both down. Load the laptop without the USB cable in. Put the Toppy on. Tune into a channel (BBC1 is fine, or any which gives a consistent picture, a consistent ). Plug the USB into the Toppy then into the laptop. Fire up altair if possible to confirm the laptop recognises the Toppy.

Then you can try for the firmware update.

Marion
Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Thanks, but my problem occurs as soon as I connect the laptop to the PVR. At that point the laptop recognises there is a new piece of hardware and wants to install drivers. It asks me whether I want to use Windows Upate and I say yes this once. It then wants to install Topfield 'first deice' (VID_11DB&PID_1000) using TfBulk.SYS. It then proceeds but gets stuck on NcGen.Sys toC:\WINDOW|System32|DRIVERS.

When it's hung there is no way of cancelling the driver installation. Nothing works not even Ctrl Alt del. I have to do a hard shutdown by holding the on-off button.
ccs
Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 30 Oct 2007 Posts: 1818 Location: E Yorkshire Belmont Transmitter
One possibilty - but it might be worth waiting for more experienced advice.

Remove the Toppy drivers etc using the uninstall that came with topfield tools.
Reboot the PC.
Rerun TopfieldTools.exe as administrator,
Start up Altair, and then connect to the toppy.

ccsx
Marion
Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Thanks but I am running my laptop as administrator.

HOWEVER - I have found the cuase, but not the solution. The following link to a Kaspersky forum

http://forum.kaspersky.com/lofiversion/index.php/t132931.html

is from somebody having my identical problem. I too am running Kaspersky Internet Security 2010 the same as the person posting there. He had installed the drivers with no problem when using KIS 2009, only had the problem with KIS2010.

Not sure what to do now but thanks to everybody.

I must say I'm very impressed by how helpful everybody is.
ccs
Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 30 Oct 2007 Posts: 1818 Location: E Yorkshire Belmont Transmitter
You're right - it's been reported before.

The only solution seems to be to de-install Kaspersky completely, install the toppy drivers, and then reinstall Kaspersky. Shocked

ccsx
Doct0r
Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:56 pm Reply with quote
No! Don't uninstall. First try disabling Kaspersky (it's only for a second and it should have scanned any incoming files).

Reinstall Topfield Tools and the driver should go in fine, then re-enable Kaspersky. I had an instance where Windows Update kept trying to re-install software, I just disabled the software, installed the new stuff and no more problems.

Not that I ever read the instructions or it usually doesn't give problems but some software recommends disabling anti-virus. I never do unless I get a problem.

juwlz
Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:14 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10275 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
Doct0r wrote:
No! Don't uninstall. First try disabling Kaspersky (it's only for a second and it should have scanned any incoming files).
IF it works. Simply disabling may not be enough though, going by the information in that thread.

Just for the record, I've recently read reviews that (surprisingly) recommend just using the Windows Firewall and Microsoft Security Essentials for a perfectly good, non-bloated, free firewall-and-virus-checker combination.

Julie

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
Doct0r
Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Recommend and Microsoft in the same sentence? I must admit I haven't thought of changing for a while but Microsoft wouldn't be my first choice. There are more respected free programs around and IMHO Microsoft should sort out their own stuff before delving into another sector. One day (not soon I hope) they'll probably try and offer (force Shocked ) their free stuff as standard. Can you imagine the screens as you try and use another brand Rolling Eyes

Back to the point of this thread, IF it works (thanks for the vote of confidence Juwlz Embarassed ) I will of course (modestly) take some tiny amount of credit.

juwlz
Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:34 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10275 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
Doct0r wrote:
Recommend and Microsoft in the same sentence? I must admit I haven't thought of changing for a while but Microsoft wouldn't be my first choice.
Believe me, I've never been a Microsoft fan! Nobody was more surprised than me to find that as a recommendation. But I'm running with it, and so far, so good.

Julie

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
ccs
Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Doct0r wrote:

The thread the OP found clearly states that the only known solution is to uninstall Kaspersky.

I had a similar problem a while back with a logitech mouse and zonealarm.

Now just using windows firewall - it's fine.

ccsx