Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  OZ Toppies  ~  IDE to SATA converter supplier in Aus

Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
kiwiconehead
Posted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:32 am Reply with quote
Joined: 07 Dec 2009 Posts: 13 Location: Australia/Papua New Guinea
Ok - finally got around to bunging the new drive in.

Have the Dealextreme adapter with a Samsung HD103SI EcoGreen 1TB SATA drive.

The cable was too short so I chopped off the cable and connector that goes to the mobo on an old 80 wire cable I had, connected Master plug to adaptor and Slave plug to system board.

Seems to work fine, watched a program while recording 2 others.
Wing Nut
Posted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 03 Oct 2009 Posts: 46 Location: Adelaide, Australia
Great! I'm in the process of setting up a Toppy 2400 and the 5000 is now relegated to Mrs Wing Nut's TV room to be defiled with the likes of Medium, Desperate Housewives, etc. A follow on has been my reluctance to remove a 150GB of Top Gear, Mythbusters, Air Crash, Wallace and Gommet, etc from it and her subsequently spotting their continued presence on her Toppy!

I bought a 1.5TB Samsung ($128!) the other day and sucked them off the 5000's HDD in case she takes action herself, but now I'm thinking her new found enthusiasm at setting weekly timers and lack of time to watch them all will quickly fill the current 300GB HDD even after my shows have been dumped. I'm tempted to get another cheap 1.5TB and try it out in the 5000 using the DX SATA adapter I bought some time ago.

I'm having trouble visualising the chop job you've done, kiwiconehead, and wondering if you could elaborate a bit? Thanks Confused
sim_roberts
Posted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:18 am Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 16 Jan 2009 Posts: 94
Excellent kiwiconehead - glad it worked as advertised.

Wing Nut - he's just saying he cut the last (mobo) connector (and about half of the cable) off on old IDE cable - I did the same - just with a pair of scissors.

cheers

Last edited by sim_roberts on Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Wing Nut
Posted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:59 am Reply with quote
sim_roberts wrote:
Wing Nut - he's just saying he cut the last connector (and about a third of the cable) off on old IDE cable - I did the same - just with a pair of scissors
Yes, but I assume there's a need to re-attach another 80 pin connector on the loose end? I haven't messed with ribbon cable connectors apart from installing them - do they typically clamp/unclamp?
kiwiconehead
Posted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:28 am Reply with quote
Joined: 07 Dec 2009 Posts: 13 Location: Australia/Papua New Guinea
This be what I did

Wing Nut
Posted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:21 am Reply with quote
Ah, ha! I understand - thanks Smile
Ray Wise
Posted: Mon May 31, 2010 10:48 am Reply with quote
Sad Sad

Well I've tried 2 different Sata adaptors, the newest one was the DealExtreme one, but I'm still having problems. The WD green 1TB drive is ok, tested in my pc, but when playing back recorded programs in the toppy, playback will just stop randomly. Gets annoying. (Silver 5000 PVRT)

It will record ok, just playback is the issue. Tried formatting the drive, doing a single recording and playing back, same issue. Must be just something with the adaptor I guess.

Oh well, the old (upgraded 400GB Samsung IDE) drive is back in there now, and I'll keep the 1TB drive for that Toppy 7100 Plus I've been eying off Very Happy

Hoo Roo
inglewoodpete
Posted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:13 am Reply with quote
Joined: 19 Mar 2010 Posts: 12 Location: Perth, Western Australia
I recently upgraded to a 500GB WD Sata drive on my PVRt4400* with not a hint of a problem. After reading some of the tales of woe, I was quite surprised how easy it was. The "Pata IDE to Sata" adapter came from Dragonext.com * 4400 uses the same motherboard as the 5000 but with a few components (and features) missing.

I also got an eSata + molex connector for the back of the PVR and now just plug the hard drive in externally (powered from the PVR). This keeps the drive (and inside the box) cooler and now it's so much easier to transfer files to my PC.

I also needed a sata "gender bender" adapter (Male to male) to connect the pata/sata adapter to the internal eSata socket's cable: http://insideco.com.au/sata/155-sata-joiner.html

Edit: InsideCo no longer have these adapters. To make it harder there are many different ideas about the gender of sata plugs (well, two actually Wink) To me, a male plug has (usually exposed) conductors or pins that enter holes or, in this case, a slot. What I'm referring to is a joiner or adapter for 2 sata cable plugs. Google "sata cable joiner". The prices can be a bit shocking. Don't pay more than $6 or 3GBP.
Peter

Last edited by inglewoodpete on Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Wing Nut
Posted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:22 am Reply with quote
Ray Wise wrote:
Well I've tried 2 different Sata adaptors, the newest one was the DealExtreme one, but I'm still having problems. The WD green 1TB drive is ok, tested in my pc, but when playing back recorded programs in the toppy, playback will just stop randomly. Gets annoying. (Silver 5000 PVRT)

I'm wondering if it's just that the WD 1TB drive you have is just a little too power hungry - even with the 'green' label? There's a list somewhere (was on the old Toppy forum?) that had some guesstimated limits for the 5000's HDD's power consumption. Some current HDDs can chew a lot of amps, especially at startup, then settling to about 5% - 10% of that while in use.
Ray Wise
Posted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Sad

Mmmm, thats what I thought as well. But I made sure when I ordered it, that the power draw was less than what the Toppy came with.

The WD 1Tb Green has 4.9amp draw read/write, 2.8 idle and 0.4amp standby.

For comparison the Samsung 400GB upgraded drive I had in there, and it runs fine is rated at read/write 9.6W, Idle 8W, and standby .45W. I don't know how watts equate to amps.
andyfras
Posted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 25 Jul 2005 Posts: 3042 Location: Fleet, Hampshire (Hannington)
With a 5V supply, divide Watts by 5 to get Amps; with a 12V supply, divide Watts by 12 to get Amps.

Presumably the Wattage quoted is a combined figure.

The 12V is probably only used to spin the platter, so would be fairly constant after initial start-up.

The currents quoted for the 1TB are probably from the 5V supply.

URC-7555 remote: TF5800 1TB with fan, Recommended_5800.tfd + CfPePsScWfZ
Ray Wise
Posted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:19 am Reply with quote
Shocked Well after looking again at the WD site, the WD10EARS 1TB model I have that is having problems has --
Read/Write 5.40 Watts
Idle 5.40 Watts
Standby 0.40 Watts
Sleep 0.40 Watts

There is another WD model on their site called the WDAV-GP, and this is a 1.5TB drive that is specifically suitable for PVRs etc. Its power requirments are--
Read/Write 5.91 Watts
Idle 4.90 Watts
Standby 0.66 Watts
Sleep 0.66 Watts

Strange, the one I bought has less power draw, so this leads me to believe it may be the sata adaptor still at fault. I'm not sure I want to spend another $90.00 to test the theory, but then again I won't rest till I know so I probably will,

Hoo Roo
inglewoodpete
Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:51 am Reply with quote
Joined: 19 Mar 2010 Posts: 12 Location: Perth, Western Australia
Well, my WD5000AAKS SATA hard drive finally died, after 3 years. I discussed replacing the original PATA drive with an external SATA drive in a post, above (Jun 03, 2010 ).

I did not have any concerns about using another WD drive. I think the environment in my video cabinet is not the best, even though I have taken the cabinet's back panel off completely. Both hard drives have failed in an Australian summer, with indoor temperatures getting over 30C when we're out and the airconditioning is not running. The temp inside the cabinet may reach the high 30s - not good for consumer electronics in the long term.

I'm going to see if I can fit a cooling fan in the (external) hard-drive case. My concern is that the Toppy power supply is already running near its limit - it's only rated by the manufacturer at 25W. Adding a fan may tax the supply a bit.

As an aside, I replaced the electros on the power supply board about a year ago.

The PVR, a Topfield 4400, has fired up fine with the new WD5000AAKX. Formatting took a couple of seconds. Obviously not a Microsoft product!

The PVRt4400 is now on the second TV: an older model and needs the digital tuner in the Toppy. The main set has a TRF2400 HD model, which I'm very pleased with. My wife is having trouble understanding the new buttons, though!
andyfras
Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 25 Jul 2005 Posts: 3042 Location: Fleet, Hampshire (Hannington)
inglewoodpete wrote:
I'm going to see if I can fit a cooling fan in the (external) hard-drive case. My concern is that the Toppy power supply is already running near its limit - it's only rated by the manufacturer at 25W. Adding a fan may tax the supply a bit.

As the new drive probably draws significantly less power than the original, there should be plenty of spare capacity for a fan.

URC-7555 remote: TF5800 1TB with fan, Recommended_5800.tfd + CfPePsScWfZ
alan_m
Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 17 Oct 2006 Posts: 3146 Location: Southchurch Village, Southend-on-Sea
Wing Nut wrote:
Ray Wise wrote:

I'm wondering if it's just that the WD 1TB drive you have is just a little too power hungry - even with the 'green' label? There's a list somewhere (was on the old Toppy forum?) that had some guesstimated limits for the 5000's HDD's power consumption. Some current HDDs can chew a lot of amps, especially at startup, then settling to about 5% - 10% of that while in use.

A new drive will typically take less power however its not unusual for the PSU in a 5xxx series Toppy to start going out of spec in as little as 2 years of use. The disk or adapter may be operating marginally if the PSU voltages are low.
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Topfield_5800/PSU_Repair

(the info on capacitor failures originally came from then Australian forums)