Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  General Toppy discussions  ~  Can anyone replace my PSU capacitors (for a fee)?

Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
aladdin
Posted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:11 pm Reply with quote
My 3 old Toppy 5800 has started to display many of the symptoms that indicate a poorly PSU (freezing, slow response to remote control, etc). When I say started it's pretty much unusable for watching recorded programmes now.

I've upgraded computers before so I'm not adverse to opening up the Toppy but I don't have a multimeter so can't check the voltages. I'm loathe to buy one and spend too much on the Toppy now as I'll be looking to get a Freeview HD PVR when they start becoming available so I don't want to shell out on a multimeter.

I thought I might just replace the capacitors anyway and hope for the best. However, that involves purchasing a soldering iron plus I've never soldered anything before.

So I wondered if there was anybody who (for an agreeable fee) would replace the capacitors for me if I sent them the PCB. Depending on what the fee and postage is it may mean I just have to go ahead and buy all the bits and pieces and do it myself anyway.

aladdin.
chunkywizard
Posted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:23 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 13 May 2005 Posts: 9277 Location: Sindlesham, Berkshire Tx: Hannington
PM MikeyP, he'll do it I reckon. Or you can go the official route and speak to TurboSat who will sell you a PSU. Or else tell us whereabouts in the country you are a hobbyist closeby might pipe up,

HTH

CW

kpee51
Posted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 02 Nov 2007 Posts: 69 Location: Hoddesdon, UK, Crystal Palace TX
I would be prepared to change the capacitors on your Toppy alladin if you are within say 10~15 mile of my location
Before I was retired last year I worked for the county council as an AV engineer lokking after schools kit

Keith

aladdin
Posted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:01 pm Reply with quote
I live in Stanmore so someone in NW London or South Hertforshire could potentially help me. I work in the City of London.

Alternatively, I often end up going up to Birmingham to visit the in-laws so that's another possibility.

Keith,
I used to live in Enfield so know where Hoddesdon is and wouldn't mind bringing the unit round there. How much would your fee be and would you supply the capacitors or would you be able to get them - I would re-imburse you of course?

ChunkyWizard,
The 'official' route costs over 40 which I'd rather put towards a new PVR
I'll PM MikeyP as you suggested.
andyfras
Posted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 25 Jul 2005 Posts: 3004 Location: Fleet, Hampshire (Hannington)
I'd like to volunteer myself for anyone needing this service.

I Live in Fleet in Hampshire, near J4a of the M3.

I have been repairing Thomson Sky HD PSUs for some time as one of the Satcure recommended repairers. I have also done many Toppy PSUs.

I can supply the components and recommend replacing more than the six usual suspects, as several others also tend to go out of spec. and can cause problems.

Last edited by andyfras on Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:36 am; edited 1 time in total

URC-7555 remote: TF5800 1TB with fan, Recommended_5800.tfd + CfPePsScWfZ
aladdin
Posted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:29 pm Reply with quote
andyfras, How much do would you charge for your services? PM me if you prefer. My sister lives in Aldershot who I might visit sooner than I had planned!
andyfras
Posted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 25 Jul 2005 Posts: 3004 Location: Fleet, Hampshire (Hannington)
PM sent to aladdin

URC-7555 remote: TF5800 1TB with fan, Recommended_5800.tfd + CfPePsScWfZ
MikeyP
Posted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 17 Jan 2006 Posts: 4816
I've PM'ed you back Aladdin

May as well broadcast it here again - I do the job for 25 return postage included.
Every suspect cap (inc the ones Andy mentioned) replaced with top quality V. low ESR ruby's or nichi's depending what I have in stock at the time Very Happy

Parts or Repair service for your poorly toppy/PSU - 'talk to me' Smile my name's Mike though, not Terry Tibbs Very Happy
aladdin
Posted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:56 am Reply with quote
Thanks for your replies, chaps.

I've managed to borrow a multimeter and soldering iron so I'm going to watch a few tutorials on YouTube and attempt the capacitor replacement myself.

Can anybody suggest a source where I can get hold of the capacitors easily and quickly? Maplin's don't seem to have the right ones (not online anyway). Web sources seem to have a very high postage charge compared with the actual cost of the capacitors. I might try getting some branded ones from ebay.
juwlz
Posted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:02 am Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10281 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
You'll find plenty of specific recommendations and suppliers towards the (current) end of the PSU Repair thread, and also in the Wiki page.

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
jumbo
Posted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:18 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 11 Apr 2005 Posts: 4733
Avoid Maplin if possible. Try RS Trade Counters if you want to call in to buy.
ryclark
Posted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 10 Jul 2005 Posts: 1525 Location: Shropshire
Or PM MikeyP on these forums who can probably supply you a set at a good price.

Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:20 am Reply with quote
I've managed to replace the capacitors and the toppy has been running fine for over a day.

Thanks everyone for your help and everyone who has contributed to the PSU upgrade wiki and supporting threads - I couldn't have done it without you.
davidbarton
Posted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 21 May 2006 Posts: 160 Location: Neasden
Quote:

What's wrong with Maplin?

Sony RDR-HXD560 80GB.
Given up onMyStuff because it created more problems than it solved Sad
alan_m
Posted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 17 Oct 2006 Posts: 3124 Location: Southchurch Village, Southend-on-Sea
davidbarton wrote:
Quote:

What's wrong with Maplin?

Often they don't seem to know what they are selling and some components are incorrectly, or not fully, specified. Maplin these days is a more of a Toys for Boys store rather than a electronic component supplier.

The recommendation is to buy a reputable brand of capacitor from a reputable supplier in order to avoid an "over optimistically” specified device or buying a 'fake' capacitor ( a no-name far eastern manufacturer passing of a lesser component as a branded item). The better quality capacitors may cost more but at 40 to 50p each it's not going to break the bank Smile