Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  General Toppy discussions  ~  Replacement capacitors

Page 1 of 1
pete77
Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:33 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Jan 2006 Posts: 157 Location: Nottingham
My 5800 is coming up to its fourth operating birthday on Christmas Day '09. One present or two? I ask myself . . .

I run no TAPs and the recommended f/w. Up to now it has worked fine, and I have no reason to think it won't continue that way, but the experience of others seems to show that we are entering a more unpredictable phase, especially relating to capacitors. I've seen reference to both 1000uF and 1200uF in various articles, even both ref below from a definitive replacement guide. As these capacitors are a low cost item, which rating should I hold in stock for the fateful day?

"Repairing a Faulty Power PCB

If the voltages on your power supply are out of tolerance it is likely that a few of the critical electrolytic capacitors have aged and are out of spec. The capacitors that we are interested in are usually Samwha RD Series 1000uF 16V 105C radial types - or the same spec/type from another brand. It is common to find different brands of capacitors on the one board. Ideally you could upgrade the power supply by replacing them with 1200uF 16V capacitors like the RS Components pack of 5 that retails for $7.48 (part number 3150489). Or get the low ESR capacitors from Jaycar (in Australia), as low ESR capacitors give off less heat under load and are rated for higher temperatures. Unfortunately Jaycar only has 1000uF 16V low ESR electrolytic capacitors, though this is still an improvement on the original 1000uF 16V capacitors."

Pete
alan_m
Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:48 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 17 Oct 2006 Posts: 3195 Location: Southchurch Village, Southend-on-Sea
pete77 wrote:
My 5800 is coming up to its fourth operating birthday on Christmas Day '09. One present or two? I ask myself . . .

I run no TAPs and the recommended f/w. Up to now it has worked fine, and I have no reason to think it won't continue that way, but the experience of others seems to show that we are entering a more unpredictable phase, especially relating to capacitors. I've seen reference to both 1000uF and 1200uF in various articles, even both ref below from a definitive replacement guide. As these capacitors are a low cost item, which rating should I hold in stock for the fateful day?

"Repairing a Faulty Power PCB

If the voltages on your power supply are out of tolerance it is likely that a few of the critical electrolytic capacitors have aged and are out of spec. The capacitors that we are interested in are usually Samwha RD Series 1000uF 16V 105C radial types - or the same spec/type from another brand. It is common to find different brands of capacitors on the one board. Ideally you could upgrade the power supply by replacing them with 1200uF 16V capacitors like the RS Components pack of 5 that retails for $7.48 (part number 3150489). Or get the low ESR capacitors from Jaycar (in Australia), as low ESR capacitors give off less heat under load and are rated for higher temperatures. Unfortunately Jaycar only has 1000uF 16V low ESR electrolytic capacitors, though this is still an improvement on the original 1000uF 16V capacitors."

Pete

There is a long thread in the bugs section of these forums "PSU Repair" which details specifications and sources for replacement capacitors in the UK (Rubycon capacitors from Farnell are one option for the cheapest p&p - free). Obtaining capacitors from any one of perhaps three reputable manufacturers and from a reputable UK distributor (CPC, Farnell, RS) will get you a capacitor that is a lot better quality than what you will be replacing.

Points to note:
Replace 6 capacitors and not just the 5 suggested in some guides
Safety- there is 350V on one of the heatsinks! http://www.admac.myzen.co.uk/toppy/

pete77
Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Thanks Alan

My point is: 1000uF or 1200uF? I'm not technically qualified, and don't know the difference. Is one better than the other? Why should two different specs be quoted in the same article?

Pete
Darucla
Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 06 Jun 2007 Posts: 1446 Location: Norwich
The original spec is 10,000uF, but some people use 12,000uF because they believe they will be working more easily within their operating parameters.

alan_m
Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 17 Oct 2006 Posts: 3195 Location: Southchurch Village, Southend-on-Sea
pete77 wrote:
Thanks Alan

My point is: 1000uF or 1200uF? I'm not technically qualified, and don't know the difference. Is one better than the other? Why should two different specs be quoted in the same article?

Pete

Because it doesn't make any practical difference in this application. Electrolytic capacitor values usually have a tolerance of 20% anyway. Manufactures will usually fit the cheapest capacitor they can find but for a DIY repair the cost between two different values is pence not pounds. It is important to find capacitors from a reputable manufacturer and distributor. Not all values may be stocked.

Larger values or higher voltage ratings may have larger package sizes or a different spacing between the leads. They may not physically fit easily on the board. In the case of the Toppy PSU either value will do assuming other parameters are met such as voltage rating (16V), maximum temperature (105C) and a low Effective Series Resistance (ESR). Anything more than 1200uF, 16V may not fit on the board. The replacement capacitors for three or four reputable manufactures detailed in the PSU repair thread tend to be around a 25% larger than the originals which tends to suggest that the originals were somewhat over optimistically specified. Replacement 1000uf 16V capacitors are taller and there is no problem with head room. http://www.admac.myzen.co.uk/capacitor/ Higher value capacitors may have a larger diameter and the space on the board is limited in a couple of places.

The range of capacitors recommended in the PSU repair thread have minor variations in values, ESR etc. but in reality they will all be better than what you are replacing. The specifications range from 4,000 hours for a very low ESR components to 10,000 hours for a slightly higher ESR (these figures are for capacitors running at the extremes of their temperature range and can be multiplied many times for the temperatures experienced in the Toppy).

pete77
Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the info chaps.

Pete