Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  OZ Toppies  ~  Is my remote dying?

Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
csutak40
Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:53 am Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 04 Oct 2009 Posts: 40 Location: Melbourne Australia
Gee, I haven't had any problems for ages (except with TEDS) and now... My remote started not to respond (well, it usually does after pressing the button - any button - several times). Tried changing the battery of course, no help. Tried rebooting, not help. So, I decided it was dying of old age and wondered if they still sell remotes for the 5000, and if so, where. Then, just when I was ready to give up, it started working again. This morning it was playing up again, now it is OK again. So, it doesn't look like it is the remote. What could it be?

Topfield5000PVRt; Device version v5.2.87; App Version TF-NPTA 5.12.48; Last Update Feb 20 2006; PBK10.15; EPG_Uploader3.26beta6; JustEPG16.3c; TimerExtend8.11; DirLister8.5; mcgCYRResume1.0; IceTV and TEDS 7.10.1.512
kermit
Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:01 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 01 Jun 2005 Posts: 972 Location: Brisbane, Australia
Sounds like it needs new batteries. Mine had this sort of behaviour recently so I swapped out the batteries and it's as good as new; well as new as a very worn 5yr old remote can be.

Contact iTopfield for a new remote. It is best to ring them. 1300 766 440

TF5000PVRt 500GB March '09 f/w
Wing Nut
Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:31 am Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 03 Oct 2009 Posts: 46 Location: Adelaide, Australia
It's been posted around here before, but the output can be checked by pressing the remote's buttons while viewing its front LED through a digital camera. Had to resort to using my phone's camera while sorting out a dead motel TV last week.

It does seem an ideal opportunity, however, to buy a cheap Harmony universal remote. Very family friendly and it should be a snap to get past the 'controller of finances' since the original doesn't work. You can toss all the other remotes in a drawer though you might like to flog their batteries at times for use in the Harmony Wink
csutak40
Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:12 am Reply with quote
Wing Nut wrote:
It's been posted around here before, but the output can be checked by pressing the remote's buttons while viewing its front LED through a digital camera. Had to resort to using my phone's camera while sorting out a dead motel TV last week.

It does seem an ideal opportunity, however, to buy a cheap Harmony universal remote. Very family friendly and it should be a snap to get past the 'controller of finances' since the original doesn't work. You can toss all the other remotes in a drawer though you might like to flog their batteries at times for use in the Harmony Wink

Sorry, please explain Laughing What do you do with the digital camera? What am I looking for?

Yes, I remember seeing things about the remote in the old Forum, didn't think I'd find it here. Definitely not the battery, btw, that is the first thing I tried, even gave the battery housing a bit of a clean.

I am embarrassed to admit that I have bought one last year (wasn't exactly cheap either, I think it was the 785 from memory) and couldn't figure it out (have a rather complicated set-up) They were really helpful - this guy actually phoned me from Canada, but still no go. At his suggestion I asked DSE if someone would come out to set it up, they said yes, for more money than the remote cost. So, I decided that I don't need a universal remote that badly and returned it. Sad

Topfield5000PVRt; Device version v5.2.87; App Version TF-NPTA 5.12.48; Last Update Feb 20 2006; PBK10.15; EPG_Uploader3.26beta6; JustEPG16.3c; TimerExtend8.11; DirLister8.5; mcgCYRResume1.0; IceTV and TEDS 7.10.1.512
kermit
Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:24 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 01 Jun 2005 Posts: 972 Location: Brisbane, Australia
csutak40 wrote:
What do you do with the digital camera? What am I looking for?

As Wing Nut stated "the output can be checked by pressing the remote's buttons while viewing its front LED through a digital camera", you point the remote at your camera and while pressing buttons on the remote you observe the remote's LED with the camera's LCD screen. If the remote is working you'll see its LED flash.

Wing Nut
Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:05 am Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 03 Oct 2009 Posts: 46 Location: Adelaide, Australia
Yes, like he said - the 'bulb' at the front of the remote should glow like a (dull) torch when observed through the digital camera's screen or view finder.

(Sorry, I've been mowing the lawn!)

It's odd and sad your Harmony purchase didn't work out. If connected OK via a USB cable, the Harmony webpage (or CD software) usually detects your remote and, given an equipment list, it downloads the sequences to your remote to suit most activities.
alan_m
Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:34 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 17 Oct 2006 Posts: 3212 Location: Southchurch Village, Southend-on-Sea
csutak40 wrote:
Sorry, please explain Laughing What do you do with the digital camera? What am I looking for?

There is an Infra Red (IR) Light Emitting Diode (LED) in the front of the remote control. This light it emits is invisible to the naked eye but it isn't invisible to the sensor in a digital camera. If you have a camera with a Liquid Crystal Display (LCD) viewfinder screen just point the remote at the camera lens, press buttons on the remote and you should see the IR LED flashing in the camera's viewfinder. You need to press the buttons that are causing you the most trouble as some button may works whilst others do not.

If the remote is seen not to work it can be dismantled, the component parts carefully washed in water from the cold tap, the parts thoroughly dried and the remote reassembled. Often "gunge" from greasy fingers or spilt food/drink gets between the rubber membrane and the circuit board causing bad switch contacts.

I assume that you done the – turn off box for 60 seconds at the mains – for a complete cold boot of your machine.

On UK Toppy's there is a green LED on the front panel of the box that lights everytime the box receives a command from the remote control.

kermit
Posted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:39 am Reply with quote
alan_m wrote:
On UK Toppy's there is a green LED on the front panel of the box that lights everytime the box receives a command from the remote control.

The OZ SD Toppies are the same.

csutak40
Posted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:11 am Reply with quote
Well, I thought I'd give you an update. I found the instructions on how to clean the remote. I have a definite phobia about touching the "innards" of anything, so I thought I'd wait until a willing friend visits. Meantime, I also found a TAP that is supposed to act as an emergency remote. I was going to install that and give it a try while the remote was working. It has been behaving since my last post. Today, I got an unexpected visitor, and he was willing to give it a try. Took it apart. Besides it being full of fluff, it was also damp, which was perplexing, because I have never spilled anything on it. Followed the directions, put it back together - it was completely dead. Crying or Very sad

Cut a long story short, phoned iTopfield, spent 20 minutes on hold at which time I was invited to leave a message. My friend tried several times to take it apart and put it back together, no joy. I taught him the digital camera trick Laughing it was definitely dead. I remembered a TV repairman that was recommended by a friend, phoned him up, he told me to bring it down. No idea what he did (did do some soldering) but it is fixed!!!!! $10 Very Happy Very Happy

gomezz
Posted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:27 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Nov 2005 Posts: 3892 Location: Buckingham
csutak40 wrote:
Besides it being full of fluff, it was also damp, which was perplexing, because I have never spilled anything on it.

Do you sometimes get confused when the phone rings and trying talking into the remote control? Smile

kermit
Posted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:27 pm Reply with quote
csutak40 wrote:
it was also damp, which was perplexing, because I have never spilled anything on it.

Humidity and the difference in temperature, between your hand and the air, can cause condensation to form.

kermit
Posted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:30 pm Reply with quote
gomezz wrote:
Do you sometimes get confused when the phone rings and trying talking into the remote control? Smile

Probably only when your phone is one of these.

alan_m
Posted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 17 Oct 2006 Posts: 3212 Location: Southchurch Village, Southend-on-Sea
csutak40 wrote:
I remembered a TV repairman that was recommended by a friend, phoned him up, he told me to bring it down. No idea what he did (did do some soldering) but it is fixed!!!!! $10 Very Happy Very Happy

When washing in water it gets damp underneath the components and leaving it apart for a few hours somewhere warm dries it out.

In rare cases it's not unknown for the soldering on the IR diode to be of suspect quality and just physically moving the diode may have 'broken' the dry joint.

Soldering may have cured a dry joint and/or the heat from the iron may have dried out some dampness.

gomezz
Posted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Nov 2005 Posts: 3892 Location: Buckingham
kermit wrote:
gomezz wrote:

Probably only when your phone is one of these.

I hope I never become confused enough to waste money on anything from B&O. Wink

kermit
Posted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:12 am Reply with quote
gomezz wrote:
I hope I never become confused enough to waste money on anything from B&O. Wink

It's all relative. You've got to admit they make nice looking gear.