Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Firmwares, enhancements and upgrades  ~  TopfHDRW running on a Mac under VMware Fusion

Page 1 of 1
ralphfoster
Posted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 04 Jan 2006 Posts: 39 Location: London
I sort of can't believe this is working ... but it is. TopfHDRW (version 0.14) running under VMware Fusion emulating Windows XP is reading files off my apparently dead Samsung original drive where TFmac5000 has failed!

Several years ago when I bought my 5800 I complained of there being certain files that just would not play back, yet if you could copy them off via the USB and back again they would be fine. Superstition made me keep all the broken recordings, because if you deleted them you just got the same problem with a new recording. This lead me to believe there were BAD sectors or areas of slow read back which caused the toppy to stutter. Eventually you couldn't even copy them via USB as it would just hang the toppy.

Anyways the hard disk started to disappear recently, particularly after playing back a BAD file... and last night it gave up completely. I'd bought a spare drive (WD 320Gb) and some spare capacitors and went through the whole procedure (and yes the 5v and 12v rails were all over the shop).

HOWEVER, I am mac based and I was pinning my hopes on using TFmac5000 to read off all the unwatched films that have accumulated. "Sorry, no Topfield Disk found" when I mounted it on the end of a Dynamode USB2.0 to IDE cable, yet it would see the files on the WD 320Gb if I swapped them around.

I was about to dust off the PC that is somewhere in the loft when I read with displeasure that TopfHDRW won't work with windows 98 (yes it is that old) so just for a laugh I went about trying TopfHDRW on my Mac Pro running Windows XP in VMware Fusion. Not only did the USB 2.0 to IDE cable get recognised but TopfHDRW saw it too, scanned the drive and I am now copying all I can get off it before it changes it's mind!

Had the old LACIE Studio Firewire drive I'd found up there been able to house the Samsung and provide a nice little house for it the evening would have been perfect, but it only seemed to think the Samsung drive was 128Gb not 160GB (and anyway you can't mount a firewire drive directly in VMware Fusion)... but hey ho you can't have everything.
kermit
Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:53 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 01 Jun 2005 Posts: 972 Location: Brisbane, Australia
ralphfoster wrote:
I sort of can't believe this is working ... but it is. TopfHDRW (version 0.14) running under VMware Fusion emulating Windows XP is reading files off my apparently dead Samsung original drive

As a fellow Mac user this is how I've connected to my Toppy's drive when I've desperately needed to. ie failed PSU caps.

ralphfoster wrote:
(and anyway you can't mount a firewire drive directly in VMware Fusion)... but hey ho you can't have everything.
Mount the firewire drive to Mac OS first and then setup a share to it for Fusion to use.

TF5000PVRt 500GB March '09 f/w
ralphfoster
Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 04 Jan 2006 Posts: 39 Location: London
kermit wrote:

ralphfoster wrote:
(and anyway you can't mount a firewire drive directly in VMware Fusion)... but hey ho you can't have everything.
Mount the firewire drive to Mac OS first and then setup a share to it for Fusion to use.

I couldn't get Mac OS to mount the toppy drive and then share it with VMware Fusion as it is not a MSDOS or MacOS formated drive.
Do you know a trick to mount it? Or does it merely need to exist as a device visible in Disk Utility to enable it as a piece of hardware available to Fusion. (Otherwise the fact that the old Lacie case couldn't recognise the disk as being bigger than 120Gb might make it funky to be loaded correctly by Fusion)