Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  General Toppy discussions  ~  Taking Toppy remote apart

Page 1 of 1
GJM
Posted: Wed May 27, 2009 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Sep 2006 Posts: 223
Have returned home to a very erratic remote control, when you press a button it just goes haywire as if it's being held on or pressed on and off faster than the speed of sound!

The reason would appear to be my son getting hold of the control and decided to try and eat it, hence it must be full of slobber!

I wonder if taking it apart might allow it to dry out and recover quicker, if it's going to make a recovery at all, however can't seem to see any screws holding it together, are these just a case of prizing open or is that not recommended.

Anyone else had to split theirs open.

Model: TF5810PVR. Firmware: 5.15.09T - Sept 02-2010 - Transmitter: Durris. Taps - SecCache(UK) V0.4 * MPDisplayLITE V1.2 * Extend v1.7 * Font Manger 1.0d * EIT Sub (Game) v0.6 * EPG2MEI v0.96 * MHEG On/Off A3 * My Stuff 6.4 * My Info B5.6
alan_m
Posted: Wed May 27, 2009 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 17 Oct 2006 Posts: 3210 Location: Southchurch Village, Southend-on-Sea
GJM wrote:
Have returned home to a very erratic remote control, when you press a button it just goes haywire as if it's being held on or pressed on and off faster than the speed of sound!

The reason would appear to be my son getting hold of the control and decided to try and eat it, hence it must be full of slobber!

I wonder if taking it apart might allow it to dry out and recover quicker, if it's going to make a recovery at all, however can't seem to see any screws holding it together, are these just a case of prizing open or is that not recommended.

Anyone else had to split theirs open.

Assuming a 5800 remote, it's held together with 6 clips - no screws

Prize it apart starting at the pointy end with something broad and flat like a table knife.

Once apart you can wash all the component parts in water under a running tap.

Dry the component parts with a paper towel and then leave to throughly dry in a warm place for a few hours before reassembly.

Shannock9
Posted: Wed May 27, 2009 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 22 Aug 2005 Posts: 1060 Location: London, UK
Quote:
Except the batteries Laughing

Just on the off-chance - did you replace any light bulbs? Over the years we've had a couple of CF bulbs which seemed to give off bad IR vibes causing simulated rapid random button pressing (even if the remote was taken out of the room). But most CF bulbs have been OK.

I guess I should have kept the flaky bulbs for Halloween Twisted Evil Shocked

GJM
Posted: Wed May 27, 2009 9:34 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Sep 2006 Posts: 223
alan_m wrote:

Wouldn't it be better to use the Karcher in the garage...sure it pushes 150bar

Model: TF5810PVR. Firmware: 5.15.09T - Sept 02-2010 - Transmitter: Durris. Taps - SecCache(UK) V0.4 * MPDisplayLITE V1.2 * Extend v1.7 * Font Manger 1.0d * EIT Sub (Game) v0.6 * EPG2MEI v0.96 * MHEG On/Off A3 * My Stuff 6.4 * My Info B5.6
underquark
Posted: Thu May 28, 2009 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 06 Oct 2005 Posts: 1776
GJM wrote:
Wouldn't it be better to use the Karcher in the garage...sure it pushes 150bar

Wouldn't it be better to use it in someone else's garage?

Back to the posting...
Have you confirmed that it is the remote that is sending the wrong signals (or behaving erratically), rather than the Toppy responding to them wrongly? View the remote on a camcorder or digitial camera's screen and see if is sending the expected brief signal or if it is, indeed, going haywire.

Before opening it, check to see if one of the buttons has been chewed to the point of being stuck in the on position.

5xTF5800PVR - 1 organ-donor, 1 for experimenting on, 2 x 250Gb and 1 x 500Gb (Seagate ST3500630A, no fan), one Toppy with UPS and dedicated aerial; MyStuff 6.3; QuickJump 1.72; EPG2 MEI; MEISearch 1.37; Various remotes - URC8820 (my fav.), URC8910 (for SWMBO), URC7562 (to learn new codes) programmed using tools from the excellent JP1 site.