Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Site news and feedback  ~  New posts 'reading' themselves.

Page 1 of 1
chris_s
Posted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:12 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 23 May 2008 Posts: 367 Location: Coventry
I started reading this excellent forum when I decided to get myself a new PVR for Christmas 2007, and have been an increasingly avid reader ever since. Very much against the slightly Luddite whingeing of some people I decided to hold out for the 5810 and, now that it is well patched up, I am happy with that decision, even though Christmas eventually came in Spring 2008.

The point of this post is that my forum reading experience has deteriorated over the past month or so and I wondered if the site has changed, or my browser settings have changed, or what: I am clearly not a browser expert.

This may not be the ideal way of reading the forum, but I have not changed and things have got worse.

I tick the check-box to stay logged in.

From the ?Forum Index? page I click on ?View posts since last visit?

I read every new post (what a saddo!) by clicking on the last displayed page for each topic in turn: when finished with a topic, I use the browser (IE7) ?back? button to get back to the list of ?posts since last visit?

When all new posts have been read, I minimise the page and do something else on the PC or put it into standby (XP_Home_SP3). Sometimes I put it into standby before all of the new posts have been read.

When I come back to read some more, I maximise the page and either read any unread topics, or refresh the page to see if there are any new posts.

This used to work fine, but recently I occasionally get part way through reading the list of new posts and, on hitting the ?back? button, the search reveals ?no matches?.

I have a few other aspects of reading the forum which have started going wrong, but this is the major one so I want to focus on this to avoid multiple sub-threads.

There was this topic http://forum.toppy.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13930, but my problem seems to be the complement of this.

Any thoughts?

Chris.

TAPs: QuickJump 1.72; MPDisplayLITE V1.2; QuickBlank 0.2; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; MyInfo B5.6; EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.4; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7; MHEG On/Off A3; (Start Channel LCN);
Sig generated by MyInfo on 14/3/12
TV=Panasonic TX-32DT2 IDTV (32" CRT via CVBS-SCART), Tx: Sutton Coldfield. "My other PVR is a TiVo".
R2-D2
Posted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:45 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Dec 2006 Posts: 12149
Your session is invalidated after a period of inactivity, so "new" posts will have automatically been made "old". If you've chosen the option to automatically log in then you won't notice this, otherwise you'll get a login prompt as a clue. The same sort of thing can happen if your connection to your ISP drops and you get a new IP address.

Last edited by R2-D2 on Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:46 am; edited 1 time in total

Posted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:46 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 20 Mar 2005 Posts: 9520 Location: London
Nothing has changed in the forum software, but I suspect the problem is in your simply minimising the browser and then coming back to it later.

The software simply records the last time you visited, and flags as new threads that have had posts since then.

If you don't do anything for a predetermined session length, then the next time the site sees your login cookie, it will assume you've gone away, and then come back, and show you what's new since the last time it saw you.

The timeout is presently set at 10800 seconds, which is three hours. So, essentially, when you start reading, you have three hours to get through the current list of new posts.

I increased this from one hour many months ago, after requests from some users, but I don't think it would be prudent to increase it any further.

Nigel.

Posted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:50 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 23 May 2008 Posts: 367 Location: Coventry
Thanks to both, I shall read and inwardly digest what you have said and experiment with modifying the way I use the forum.

Chris.

TAPs: QuickJump 1.72; MPDisplayLITE V1.2; QuickBlank 0.2; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; MyInfo B5.6; EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.4; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7; MHEG On/Off A3; (Start Channel LCN);
Sig generated by MyInfo on 14/3/12
TV=Panasonic TX-32DT2 IDTV (32" CRT via CVBS-SCART), Tx: Sutton Coldfield. "My other PVR is a TiVo".
Andy K
Posted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 14 Jun 2005 Posts: 3499 Location: Owner of 3 Topfields
This forum doesn't seam to be as good as others in this respect.

If you stay connected to the net for hours, the posts you have read don't clear themselves. (other forums do).

And if you have a crash and have to reboot, even if it only takes 1 min, all new posts are lost.
Livy
Posted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 14 Jul 2006 Posts: 584 Location: Fife, Scotland
closing IE and starting a new instance also clears al new posts.

• Connected via Buffalo Linkstation Live 2TB
nwhitfield
Posted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 20 Mar 2005 Posts: 9520 Location: London
That will be your session cookie, which is deleted when you close a browser - that's the way they're supposed to work.

But, if you tick the box to keep yourself logged in, then I think you'll find that it doesn't. Perhaps.

At any rate, this is how phpBB works, and not something that I can change.

Posted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 14 Jul 2006 Posts: 584 Location: Fife, Scotland
Happens even when keep me logged in is ticked. Laughing

never need to see the new posts again once i've read them anyway.

• Connected via Buffalo Linkstation Live 2TB
mike.hinson
Posted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Nov 2005 Posts: 1735 Location: Bordon, Hants UK
Is there any option to see all posts from a particular day? Or some clever way to search for them? Or all posts from the last X number of hours?

I have never spotted such a thing but it would be handy sometimes in the cases mentioned above. so I wondered if it might already exist?

Could I create my own cookie for instance that said I last connected at a specific time? Or delete some other cookie and make it look like I have not logged in for ages?

Thanks,
/\/\

R2-D2
Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:20 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Dec 2006 Posts: 12149
mike.hinson wrote:
Is there any option to see all posts from a particular day?
Yes, you visit each sub-forum in turn. Smile There are ways to get the search to return a lot of matches, but because you have to be devious to do that (rather than it offering a simple mechanism) the load on the server will be HUGE. So Nigel won't like you if you try, I suspect.