Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Firmwares, enhancements and upgrades  ~  Toppy.org Firmware Loader

Page 3 of 9
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Bawbagg
Posted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:00 am Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 11 Aug 2005 Posts: 1122
LordCake wrote:
I would like to take a look if possible with a view to maybe producing a Linux equivalent.
and
EMJB wrote:
If you can transcode this and get it working, you are perhaps 20% of the way there.

Having recently migrated to Linux (of the Ubuntu variety) myself, I might suggest that rather than attempting to start from scratch with USB implementation, I think it might be easier to reverse engineer the installer scripting API in a python script, and utilise puppy to do the USB transfers.

It's a reasonably big job though, the installer scripting API is fairly flexible.

nwhitfield
Posted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:54 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 20 Mar 2005 Posts: 9519 Location: London
I'm just catching up with this before I head off on a business trip...

I'm all for making it as simple as possible, as some others have suggested, as a lot of people may not even come near the forums; when we have a simple, straightforward solution, what I'd like to do is have an 'Update your firmware' link in the left hand nav panel, which hopefully can't be missed, with a main, very simple option (and possibly others for people who want more exciting choices, like particular TAPs, or perhaps to use something other than Windows).

For other platforms, I don't know exactly what the technical process is behind the updater and its scripts; if it's a matter of file copies and checking for success, etc, then it might be worth plundering the scripts that TRC uses for copying remote timers, which have been written in PHP. There's also some Applescript in there, which might help Mac users.

Nigel.

Posted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:26 am Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 13 May 2005 Posts: 9282 Location: Sindlesham, Berkshire Tx: Hannington
With that in mind how about I do a script for the Loader which first just offers 3 options:

install the recommended firmware for the 5800/5800t
install the recommended firmware for the 5810
Advanced

The first 2 options are USB only and install the recommended firmware minus Re and De. Advanced takes you to the Loader as it is now with FTP support, choices on Re and De etc.

Would that work?

CW

R2-D2
Posted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:27 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Dec 2006 Posts: 12149
chunkywizard wrote:
Would that work?
Sounds ideal!

Posted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:34 am Reply with quote
That sounds very sensible to me.

Thanks to all those who have been working so hard on this.

So that I'm absolutely clear, is it a prerequisite that the Topfield tools already be installed on the PC to use this?

Posted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:37 am Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 13 May 2005 Posts: 9282 Location: Sindlesham, Berkshire Tx: Hannington
No, tools do not need to be loaded. The Loader includes the DLLs and TFDN-USB.

CW

EMJB
Posted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:52 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 08 Jul 2005 Posts: 3460 Location: Maldon Essex
chunkywizard wrote:
No, tools do not need to be loaded. The Loader includes the DLLs and TFDN-USB.

CW

Sorry, CW, but I don't think you are correct for direct USB users - AFAIK you need TFBulk.inf and TFBulk.sys installed, but I could be wrong.

Perhaps one of the issues arising from this thread is a need for a more user-friendly installation tool for the Topfield tools, with checks on whether the link is working etc. If anyone would care to write one, it would be a simple matter to call it up from my installer tool.

EMJB
juwlz
Posted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:57 am Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10327 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
I hate to say this, but should Advanced offer an option to install the best available (patched) 5.14.xx for those who really want Freeview+, are prepared to put up with the bugs and don't want to (or don't know how to) install Sl, SeriesLink and Extend? That at least has to be an improvement on 5.14.08 as typically shipped these days.

Julie

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
nwhitfield
Posted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:04 pm Reply with quote
The newer Topfield tools package does seem (from the last time I had to inflict it on a PC) to be rather less painful than the original, thankfully.

But it would obviously be good to get some clarity on prerequisites as part of all this.

Posted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:31 pm Reply with quote
How about packaging the firmware installer up with the required Topfield drivers in the Nullsoft Installer.

We've hacked lumps out of Topfield's software on the box itself, why not start hacking their PC software too Shocked .

LordCake
Posted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:43 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 03 Jul 2005 Posts: 217 Location: Manchester
Bawbagg wrote:

Having recently migrated to Linux (of the Ubuntu variety) myself, I might suggest that rather than attempting to start from scratch with USB implementation, I think it might be easier to reverse engineer the installer scripting API in a python script, and utilise puppy to do the USB transfers.

It's a reasonably big job though, the installer scripting API is fairly flexible.

That was probably the kind of thing I was thinking of (but maybe not python) but as all the issued code seems to be compiled, I don't really have a starting point...

Model: TF5800PVR F/ware: 5.13.65EfNfCyXpXwSXlUUuHPTCeGmSrUxEsRs Xmitter: Winter Hill Q: ~100% S: 76-95% Aerial: Group C/D bandpass filter Taps: MyStuff v4.54d, RemoteExtender v1.5, deselect v1.0Connected: Toppy<->undeclocked debianSLUG + iguanaIR running: ftpd-topfield, rt2mei, bleb2tie & lirc
EPG data for radio channels: http://my.opera.com/bleb2tie/
Bawbagg
Posted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:05 pm Reply with quote
LordCake wrote:
That was probably the kind of thing I was thinking of (but maybe not python) but as all the issued code seems to be compiled, I don't really have a starting point...
I only thought of python to aid in building a gui. Of course, a text version using php or even bash could do the job just as well. In reality, they may even be more useful as they could then run directly on slug/asus/linkstation.

EMJB did announce that the installer was available to anyone wanting to script installation of their tap on the toppy. The MyStuff team were the only people to use the software - it could, just as easily and effectively, script installation of the EPGN/UKAS set of taps should anyone be so inclined.

I think the installer has been added to since the documentation linked from that post was released, EMJB will be able to comment. Look at the documentation, and some of the example scripts (from the MyStuff and firmware installers) and you'll have a good idea of what you would need to interpret.

LordCake
Posted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Bawbagg wrote:
I only thought of python to aid in building a gui. Of course, a text version using php or even bash could do the job just as well. In reality, they may even be more useful as they could then run directly on slug/asus/linkstation.

EMJB did announce that the installer was available to anyone wanting to script installation of their tap on the toppy. The MyStuff team were the only people to use the software - it could, just as easily and effectively, script installation of the EPGN/UKAS set of taps should anyone be so inclined.

I think the installer has been added to since the documentation linked from that post was released, EMJB will be able to comment. Look at the documentation, and some of the example scripts (from the MyStuff and firmware installers) and you'll have a good idea of what you would need to interpret.

Thanks, Bawbagg - that looks a good starting point. I had no idea how it worked (ie: it was driven by a script file). I was thinking of either a bash script (which as you say could probably run on a slug etc) or using gtkdialog for a GUI version. I guess the ideal would be something that would just run CW's scripts with minimal alterations for paths.

I will take a look (but don't expect anything in a hurry).

Model: TF5800PVR F/ware: 5.13.65EfNfCyXpXwSXlUUuHPTCeGmSrUxEsRs Xmitter: Winter Hill Q: ~100% S: 76-95% Aerial: Group C/D bandpass filter Taps: MyStuff v4.54d, RemoteExtender v1.5, deselect v1.0Connected: Toppy<->undeclocked debianSLUG + iguanaIR running: ftpd-topfield, rt2mei, bleb2tie & lirc
chunkywizard
Posted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Here's what the main part of the Loader looks like:
Code:

LoadFiles:S http://www.toppy.org.uk/~chunkywizard/TAPDownload/FwLoad.zip
CopyFile: FwLoad.tap to #:\ProgramFiles\Auto Start\
CopyFile: aXeL.tfd to #:\ProgramFiles\InstallerFirmware\

UserConditional: Do you have a 5800/ 5800t?
   Help: select Yes to install the 5800/5800t Recommended Firmware else choose no to install the 5810 Recommended firmware

UserConditional: Do you want to include the Re and De patches?
      Help: Select yes if you are using MyStuff or are sure all your TAPs are compatible with those patches

ShowMessage: Downloading and installing 5800/5800t Recommended Firmware
      LoadFiles:S http://www.toppy.org.uk/~chunkywizard/Firmware/Recommended.tfd
      CopyFile: Recommended.tfd to #:\ProgramFiles\InstallerFirmware\
   Else:
      ShowMessage: Preparing to remove De and Re patches
      CopyFile: [De] DescExt_06_Genre.tfp to #:\ProgramFiles\InstallerFirmware\Remove\
      CopyFile: [Re] RemExt.tfp to #:\ProgramFiles\InstallerFirmware\Remove\
      ShowMessage: Downloading and installing 5800/5800t Recommended Firmware
      LoadFiles:S http://www.toppy.org.uk/~chunkywizard/Firmware/Recommended.tfd
      CopyFile: Recommended.tfd to #:\ProgramFiles\InstallerFirmware\

EndCondition:

Else:

UserConditional: Do you want to include the De patch?
      Help: Select yes if you are using MyStuff or are sure all your TAPs are compatible with that patch

ShowMessage: Downloading and installing 5810 Recommended Firmware
   LoadFiles:S http://www.toppy.org.uk/~chunkywizard/Firmware/Recommended 5810.tfd
   CopyFile: Recommended 5810.tfd to #:\ProgramFiles\InstallerFirmware\Recommended.tfd

Else:
      ShowMessage: Preparing to remove De patch
      CopyFile: [De] DescExt_06_Genre.tfp to #:\ProgramFiles\InstallerFirmware\Remove\
      ShowMessage: Downloading and installing 5810 Recommended Firmware
      LoadFiles:S http://www.toppy.org.uk/~chunkywizard/Firmware/Recommended 5810.tfd
      CopyFile: Recommended 5810.tfd to #:\ProgramFiles\InstallerFirmware\Recommended.tfd

EndCondition:

EndCondition:

ResetToppy:

CW

LordCake
Posted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Thanks, CW.