Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  TAPs  ~  FwLoad B3.3 - Now With Multilingual Support

Page 1 of 1
EMJB
Posted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 08 Jul 2005 Posts: 3474 Location: Maldon Essex
I have used R2-D2's & Firebird's HDFW code to produce a simpler TAP which allows new firmware and patches to be applied from a PC.

It is primarily intended for use with my Installer utility, but can be used with any computer connection that allows transfer of files from the internet to the Toppy. You simply copy the base firmware you want to use (which can include patches) plus any patches you wish to apply into a predetermined directory on the Toppy, run the TAP, and it should reboot with the new firmware.

It is anticipated that the base firmware would be either the MyStuff or Toppy.org.uk recommended firmware, and the patches would be personal preferences such as 12 hour front panel clock, accelerated USB, faster rewind, etc. In this way people can simply load the personal preference patches as they see fit, and rely on others to keep the recommended firmware versions up to date with the latest bug fixes etc.

For more details see here and download from here

My thanks to R2-D2 & FireBird for the use of their code.

EMJB

Last edited by EMJB on Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:02 pm; edited 3 times in total
chunkywizard
Posted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:03 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 13 May 2005 Posts: 9306 Location: Sindlesham, Berkshire Tx: Hannington
This TAP is now available in a packaged format in the MyStuff Recommended Firmware Loader Utility. This is the easiest and quickest way to load the MyStuff Recommended Firmware (and additional patches if needed) onto your Toppy. See: http://forum.toppy.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=165788#165788 for more details.

This package can easily be modded to load other firmwares as well. If anyone wants to play or produce a version to say load the 5.1.365NitFix firmware then PM me and I can talk you though the changes needed in the installer.cfg file.

CW

chunkywizard
Posted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:56 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 13 May 2005 Posts: 9306 Location: Sindlesham, Berkshire Tx: Hannington
Calling all helpful 5800t users. Anyone got a bit of time to do some testing? We have a new version of FwLoad which I would like to try on a 5800t before general release. We know it works on a 5810 and a 5800 but none of the test team have a 5800t to check it. Be warned it could crash your Toppy but it is always possible to get it back using TFDN-USB so shouldn't be fatal! PM me if you have a bit of time and want to help out,

Cheers

CW

chunkywizard
Posted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:31 am Reply with quote
So no-one with a 5800t willing to help? I can give full instructions and it will only take 10 mins (and maybe another 10 if it fails) If you have any issues then I'll make sure we get you back up and running.

Cheers

CW

ryclark
Posted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:44 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 10 Jul 2005 Posts: 1573 Location: Shropshire
Maybe no one's got a 5800t Wink

chunkywizard
Posted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:56 am Reply with quote
That did occur to me as well...

CW

ryclark
Posted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 10 Jul 2005 Posts: 1573 Location: Shropshire
At least no one who is a regular on here and a tinkerer.

EMJB
Posted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:01 pm Reply with quote
FwLoad B3 includes the facility to remove patches, but this new facility should be used with great care. Not all patches can be undone, and using the wrong version of the patch file for undoing could leave you in a continuous reboot cycle, so this should only be used by, or under the guidance of, experts. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!

Available for download from here as before.

EMJB
chunkywizard
Posted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:12 pm Reply with quote
This newversion allows us to offer a De and Re free version of the MyStuff Recommended Firmware for non-MyStuff users. Head over to the MRF thread for more details and to download

CW

EMJB
Posted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Version 3.2 now available has changes to ease an automated update process when the model is not known. These changes are probably of little interest to those using this TAP themselves. Firmwares can be identified by appropriate name, and patches to be applied can be copied to model-specific directectories.

EMJB
EMJB
Posted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Version B3.3 with following major changes now available:

Ability to patch existing firmware added.
    Multilingual support added.
    Progress messages improved, notably clarifying whether reboot will occur.

EMJB