aekostas
Posted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:50 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 20 Jun 2007 Posts: 220 Location: Craigkelly Tx
sweep wrote:
aekostas wrote:
juwlz wrote:
That depends on whether you chose the option to install it Wink

Thanks juwlz. I chose option 4, so I think I did Smile
I think I found option 4 confusing - well in my experience (I'd suffered a laptop crash) so had lost all my toppy programs. I remember TFDN_USB starting up, but I take it I was supposed to manually navigate to the unzip folder and find the tfd file?

I don't think you do. From memory, when the installer tells you, you need to put the toppy to standby manually and start it again. It then does its thing and reboots on its own.

sweep
Posted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 10 Jan 2008 Posts: 173 Location: Winter Hill
OK - I was a bit out of practise with upgrading my Toppy and my main priority at the time was getting the Nit patch on!

Installed patch string: AbBfBqCeCkCpCwCyDeEcEeEfEpErEsFGmHHeKtMhNfOtPPcRRaReRhRpRsSSdSlSrStSyT2TdTeTfTpTsVrXpXwXl
chunkywizard
Posted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:00 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 13 May 2005 Posts: 9306 Location: Sindlesham, Berkshire Tx: Hannington
Hot on the heels of EMJB's FwLoad TAP I'm please to announce the MyStuff Recommended Firmware Loader. This utilises the new TAP and a cut down installer to allow a very simple firmware upgrade. If this proves popular then I will integrate into the MyStuff Installer so you don't have to use both tools.

One quick tip. If you place any extra patches in ProgramFiles/FirmwareInstaller then these will be added to the Recommended Firmware,

It's available at http://www.toppy.org.uk/~chunkywizard/TAPDownload/MyStuffFirmwareLoader.zip

Enjoy and please feedback in this thread.

CW

Spok
Posted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 05 May 2006 Posts: 89
Before upgrading to MyStuff 5.62b I decided to upgrade to the 'Recommended Firmware' as linked to in Chunkywizard's signature.

Then I installed MS 5.62b, along with the TAPs that it comes with. When I turn on the Toppy I now get the message - "Description Extender is not required because it is in a Patch" and then - "Remote Extender is out of date..."

I may have these messages the wrong way round - I cannot remember.

So are these two TAPs still needed for MS 5.62b while running the recommended firmware?

Thanks,

Spok.

Posted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:18 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 13 May 2005 Posts: 9306 Location: Sindlesham, Berkshire Tx: Hannington
No, the recommended firmware contains patch equivalents of all the following TAPs:

Description Extender
Remote Extender
EITDupFix
mheg_state

If you have used any of these in the past them remove them from Auto Start when using the recommended MyStuff firmware

HTH

CW

Spok
Posted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the quick reply.

I assume, then that these 'included' TAPs will only get updated when a new 'Recommended' firmware is released, not when a new version of MyStuff is released. Could that be a problem? Maybe MyStuff 5.63 would need an updated version of one or both of these TAPs. What happens then?

Spok.

Posted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:33 pm Reply with quote
The TAPs are replaced by patches. If the patches get updated then a new version of the recommended firmware will be released. Patches are only included when stable and so any new version of MyStuff should work regardless. Don't worry, we will make sure everything works!

CW

EMJB
Posted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 08 Jul 2005 Posts: 3474 Location: Maldon Essex
Spok wrote:
I assume, then that these 'included' TAPs will only get updated when a new 'Recommended' firmware is released, not when a new version of MyStuff is released. Could that be a problem? Maybe MyStuff 5.63 would need an updated version of one or both of these TAPs. What happens then?

Don't worry - CW will ensure that everthing necessary is sorted for you, if necessary changing the Recommended firmware with when a new version of MyStuff is released. In the unlikely event that the old MS will not work with the new Recommended firmware I imagine he will keep both going for a while till the new version of MS settles down. Have faith Very Happy Very Happy

EMJB
Spok
Posted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Very helpful, thanks very much.

One more question. In MyStuff 5.62b there is an option to set a scan time, duration and channel. Does this mean that the eit2mei TAP is also redundant?

I remember setting eit2mei to scan at 02:30. If I keep eit2mei installed and set the MyStuff option to scan at 06:00, will there be two scans done every night - one by eit2mei and one by MyStuff? Or have I got this all wrong?

Thanks again,

Spok.

Posted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:16 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10371 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
The scan time USES eit2mei to do the scan, so you still need eit2mei.

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
glenmcfar
Posted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 07 Dec 2006 Posts: 4519 Location: Dundonald, Ayrshire, Scotland
...but you don't need to set an eit2mei scan as it will do it in the background anyway.

juwlz
Posted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:36 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10371 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
Good point ... as long as your Toppy spends some time on and not recording, and with enough gaps between key presses for the scan to kick in Wink

If you tend to be away a fair bit, and leave the Toppy switched off when you are, a scan's worth doing, just to make sure your EPG gets updated with any changes - otherwise it'll only wake up to record and shut down when it's finished. Eit2mei (by default) won't scan while the Toppy's recording.

If your Toppy spends a reasonable amount of time each day showing live TV (or if it's just on while the TV isn't), then you shouldn't need ann explicit scan.

I have one set up anyway, just to be on the safe side Wink

Julie

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
glenmcfar
Posted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 07 Dec 2006 Posts: 4519 Location: Dundonald, Ayrshire, Scotland
Sorry, I meant that you can turn the eit2mei option OFF. I still set a Wakeup Timer every morning (and eit2mei scans in the background) to freshen the EPG up

Glen.

Spok
Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:26 pm Reply with quote
So, just to be clear - The latest eit2mei TAP no longer needs to be explicitly set to run at a certain time (eg 02:30). It will automatically scan in the background whenever the Toppy is on live TV and not recording.

The MyStuff option is just to set a time for the Toppy to come on to live TV to give eit2mei a window in which to scan.

Is that correct?

Will eit2mei scan in the background while the Toppy is playing back a recording?

Spok.

Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Spok wrote:
So, just to be clear - The latest eit2mei TAP no longer needs to be explicitly set to run at a certain time (eg 02:30). It will automatically scan in the background whenever the Toppy is on live TV and not recording.

The MyStuff option is just to set a time for the Toppy to come on to live TV to give eit2mei a window in which to scan.

Is that correct?

That is correct.