Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Firmwares, enhancements and upgrades  ~  New Firmware available @ Topfield.uk for 5800 + 5810 30Jul08

Page 3 of 7
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
aramil
Posted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 20 Jun 2006 Posts: 649 Location: Worcester, UK ; TX:Malvern Central
Wallace wrote:
Thanks for clearing that up!

I followed my usual procedure including a factory reset and a full channel scan after flashing but now I have programs numbering in 1000 etc and no BBC1.

It might be due to the fact that winterhill has just dropped off the scale whole mux's have gone!

Trying to find out why now, as all my Digital equipment agrees on two different ariels

Wallace
Posted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 22 Mar 2008 Posts: 911 Location: Winter Hill
Why then, after I flashed back to 15.09A2, did the channel problem sort itself out? If MUX A has "gone" then it's gone!

All is back as it was before I flashed to 15.09+. ALL channels in there right places.

FYI. I do and advanced channel scan as I descovered months ago the the sensitive tuners picked up other MUX's on Winter Hill (Ch 40 etc). I only scan channels 56, 60, 63, 66, 67, 68.

nwhitfield
Posted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 20 Mar 2005 Posts: 9521 Location: London
Well, I'd go back to the recommended one again and see what happens - it's entirely possible the first scan you did coincided with one of the 'short service breaks' that's scheduled during the works there.

Posted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Dec 2006 Posts: 12149
Wallace wrote:
All is back as it was before I flashed to 15.09+. ALL channels in there right places.
You can temporarily disable/enable [Nf] (on either firmware) using the "Use firmware in RAM" option in HDFW, if you think that's the issue. That way you can more quickly do Factory Resets and scans at different times in different combinations.

Posted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 07 Dec 2006 Posts: 4519 Location: Dundonald, Ayrshire, Scotland
In FWPatcher, Nf shows up as 'Not Intended For This Firmware' in both 14.09+ and 15.09+. Is that to be expected?

Glen.

chunkywizard
Posted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:57 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 13 May 2005 Posts: 9306 Location: Sindlesham, Berkshire Tx: Hannington
yes, because equivilent code is already in those firmwares.

CW

glenmcfar
Posted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 07 Dec 2006 Posts: 4519 Location: Dundonald, Ayrshire, Scotland
I see, but its a bit confusing as loads of R2-D2s patches are in there, and show up AS R2-D2's patches. Is this one that Topfield did themselves?

Glen.

R2-D2
Posted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Dec 2006 Posts: 12149
glenmcfar wrote:
In FWPatcher, Nf shows up as 'Not Intended For This Firmware' in both 14.09+ and 15.09+.
It may do if you have an old copy. Current version is 30,720 bytes.

Posted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:23 pm Reply with quote
nwhitfield wrote:
Well, I'd go back to the recommended one again and see what happens - it's entirely possible the first scan you did coincided with one of the 'short service breaks' that's scheduled during the works there.

That's what I have done. I'm on 15.09A2 and everything is as it should be.

glenmcfar
Posted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:25 pm Reply with quote
R2-D2 wrote:
Current version is 30,720 bytes.

Hmmm, mine is 30,304 bytes. Guess I'd better redownload. While I'm on the subject, is there a new Firmware.dat?

Glen.

Steve b
Posted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 09 Aug 2006 Posts: 123 Location: Stoke on Trent
ill try to install this tommorrow, ive been running the latest firmware unpached and un tapped for quite a while with no real issues the only thing i worry about is going over the 16 sl limit but i dont think ive got there yet.

can anyone tell me if quick jump and the display tap are compatible with this latest firmware on the 5800?

cheers

edit: noticed they have added the ability to look at the epg during playback, thats a good move sometimes when im chase playing or i forget im watching a recording it takes me a while to realise why the EPG wont work lol
simonc
Posted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:32 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Apr 2005 Posts: 5618 Location: Cheltenham
Quickjump should be fine.
mbuckhurst
Posted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Wallace wrote:
Thanks for clearing that up!

However, I have just flashed my 5810 with the new f/w 15.09+ and have a problem....

I followed my usual procedure including a factory reset and a full channel scan after flashing but now I have programs numbering in 1000 etc and no BBC1.

Being a regular reader/poster in these forums I thought it must be connecetd with the digital upgrade. I did another factory reset and full scan but I still have the channels in the 1000 region.

The only way to get some normality was to flash back to my previous f/w level which was 15.09A2. Using my previous f/w (followed by reset and full scan) all is back to normal LCN 1, 2, 3 et al and none in the 1000's.

I was under the impression that the new f/w contained an equivalent of the Nf patch.

Have I done something wrong?

I received my 5810 on Tuesday and seeing I had nothing to lose I decided to update my firmware on Wednesday night, after loads of issues (generally ending with blue screens of death) with Vista on my laptop, I ended up moving the STB into my office to use my XP desktop and got it flashed in no time.

On restarting the box back in its home, I tried a re-scan, it found all the channels no problem but BBC etc. still on 1000. So this time I factory reset and scanned again, now my channel issues are all solved.

I'm in South Manchester and receive from Winterhill, I also have a professionally fitted aerial so should get a good signal.

I don't suppose this helps much, but it does show the firmware does work.

mike
Wallace
Posted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for that Mike. I do know that there were issues with Winter Hill yesterday. What I cannot explain is why all channels were present and in the correct order when I flashed back to my older firmware? It was quite literally 5 minutes difference.

Anyway, I have more time to play tonight so I am going to give it another go. It must be something I am doing as most other peoples updates are going OK.

I am not too much of a "flashing novice" Wink having done it many times in recent month applying/removing patches and factory resets etc.

Time will tell.

glenmcfar
Posted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:44 pm Reply with quote
I know it sounds stupid but try downloading the firmware again on the off chance you've gotten mixed up with all the firmwares flying around. Also, put Nf in your HDFW folder to make sure it shows up as applied before flashing.

Glen.