Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Firmwares, enhancements and upgrades  ~  TF5810 firmware -- bugs and missing features

Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
R2-D2
Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Dec 2006 Posts: 12149
Edits:
23/02/09: added info about event_id bug, and EIT_Sub.
08/12/08: added info about [Ev], [Sx] V5 and [Xw].
28/11/08: added info about [Sx] V4, [Ck] and [Kt].
21/10/08: reviewed and reordered list to show available fixes last, with the patch ID and link, and an extra "+" if the fix is already in the currently shipping 5.15.09+ (or 5.14.09+).

A summary of known bugs and missing features of the TF5810 firmware 5.15.09A2 (most of which will apply to the TF5800's 5.14.X firmware).

Bugs:
  1. A timer starting while timeshifting (not live) or chase playing of the same channel can cause corrupt recording durations.
    Fixed by: [Ev]
  2. Series Links with a gap between episodes of more than 1 week will be lost (e.g. F1 races).
  3. If the system moves a recording to an alternative showing in order to resolve a clash then the Series Link will be lost after this recording is made.
  4. If the broadcaster decides to change the event_id associated with a programme that is set to be recorded then just about everything will break (this seems to happen quite rarely on the good channels, but every day on others). Symptoms include the Rs marker disappearing from that programme in the EPG and the recording never starting.
  5. Remote response has been set too sensitive, giving far too many repeated button presses.
  6. Alternate instancing for clashes does not work deep enough before failing. So, for example, when two consecutive 30min programmes (both with alternative instances) are clashing with a new 1 hour timer, only the first 30min programme will be offered to be moved, then the mechanism will fail (because there's still a clash) and only offer to delete timers (exiting this deletion prompt and repeating the process will then offer to move the second programme, which will allow the clashing timer to be set).
  7. "Series Link Clash" prompt does not explain which timer it's trying to set, and does not offer a choice to set the Series Link anyway (or dismiss the prompt) in the hope that this new episode will appear at some point later as a non-clashing repeat. The prompt also repeats too often and it's not clear what to do when it appears -- the prompt should show the Yellow button and react to it (in the same way as in the Timer List).
  8. Silent startup: when it starts up on BBC4 (off air) then you can change channel (to, say, BBC1) and it will be silent. A press of V+ restores the volume.
  9. Suspicion that using the White button to sort the timer list can cause subtle corruption of timers -- it would be more reliable to simply sort the view of the timers. More choices of sort orders would be nice, too.
  10. EPG in grid view: "R" and "Rs" markers often appear on the wrong item in the grid (but are correct on the upper description box and in the list view).
  11. Suspicion that pausing a playback/chase play or leaving a menu screen up can lose or interfere with EIT signalling, preventing recordings from starting or stopping properly. (These problems and out-of-sync collection issues are probably fixed by using EIT_Sub.)
  12. Unnecessary "A recording is starting..." (CYR) prompts (if the user can manually return to what they were watching before the prompt interrupted then the interruption is clearly unnecessary).
    Fixed by: [Sx] V5 (5.15.09 only) and [Xw].
  13. If a programme starts earlier than 1 minute before the scheduled time (as happens regularly with certain programmes) then the unit will not be brought out of "standby" -- instead the recording will be started and silently fail because the disk is off.
    Fixed by: [We] (5.15.X and 5.14.X) or [Sf] (5.15.09 only).
  14. Bugs in EIT data collection and firmware manipulating an event's running_status leads to unreliable data corrupting timers.
    Fixed by: [Ec]+, [Ef]+, [Er]+.
  15. Bug in recording code leading sometimes to a 10 second delay before a recording actually starts, missing programme starts.
    Fixed by: [Sr]+.
  16. The "limit" of 16 Series Links is not enforced and just appears to the users as random dropped timers.
    Fixed (mostly) by: [Sx] V3+ (5.15.09 only).
  17. No record of previously recorded episodes, so duplicates are very likely to be recorded, especially on five where all repeats are grouped under the same "Series" ID.
    Fixed partially (for imminent repeats) by: [Sx] V4 (5.15.09 only).
  18. Different delays in the different EIT handling mechanisms or maybe out-of-sync EIT across multiplexes may cause a recording to be started and immediately stopped after the system changes the channel.
    Fixed by: [Sx] (5.15.09 only).
  19. Duration field handled incorrectly (wrong format!) in three areas, potentially corrupting timers (may be connected to 1).
    Fixed by: [Sx] (5.15.09 only).
  20. ARIS (CYR) prompt causing further delay to starting a recording -- especially annoying when the prompt was actually unnecessary.
    Fixed by: [C0]+.
  21. Remote buttons generate wrong codes for TAPs (in particular the Red button). They could very easily be made compatible with the TF5800 codes, with the new (or changed) buttons being made easily differentiable.
    Fixed by: [Rm] (5.15.X only [obviously]).
  22. TAP-set timers do not co-exist nicely with timers set through the EPG.
    Fixed by: [Tt].
  23. TAPs continue running when the unit is in "standby" (the safest thing may be to disable them by not sending any events to them).
    Fixed by: [Tq].
  24. "Series Link Clash" happening during "standby" causes corruption of the Front Panel display.
    Fixed by: [Sf] (5.15.09 only). :)
  25. Recording file names: multiple timers may be set at once for the same programme, and this messes up the algorithm that decides the filename (so you can get things like "Prog-2-2.rec"). Either the existing timers should be checked in addition to the recordings when a timer (and its filename) is set, or the choice of filename should be left to when the timer actually starts (and maybe left as "Prog.rec" until then).
    Fixed by: [Tf].

Other possibly important fixes:
  • [Ck] may help with some issues, by fixing a subtle bug in a time conversion routine.
  • [Kt] may help with issues if you run with timeshift turned on.

Missing features:
  • Cannot get to the EPG by pressing the Guide button when in the File List (and maybe other places?).
  • Cannot get to the File List by pressing the Archive button when in the EPG and many other screens.
  • Missing option to quickly include the timeshift buffer in a new instant recording (used to be in the "Recording" item on the main menu).
  • Inability to adjust an instant recording's duration once it's set to record until after the current or next programme.
  • White button means different concepts on different screens (including the important "delete" concept), as do other buttons. Personally, I think this ought to be made consistent, at the expense of compatibility with the TF5800's button configuration.
  • PiP button does not work like on the TF5000 (giving different PiP sizes and then off), but instead rotates the PiP, making the Next button almost redundant. If the sizing is not believed to be useful then maybe the PiP button should just toggle the PiP on and off.
  • The EPG in grid view allows you to type an LCN to navigate to that channel quickly. It would be nice if this were available in the (normal) list view, too.
  • The EPG buttons to go to the next or previous day do not do that -- instead they take you to around 1am on the next or previous day.
    Fixed by: [Em]

Last edited by R2-D2 on Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:33 pm; edited 11 times in total

Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 20 Mar 2005 Posts: 9519 Location: London
I really, really, will try to update the bug database with all this. Unless someone else wants to volunteer Wink

Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Site helper Joined: 16 Jul 2005 Posts: 1199 Location: London
Give me a week until my exams are over, and I'll happily do it. Smile

Wallace
Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 22 Mar 2008 Posts: 911 Location: Winter Hill
It make one wonder why Topfield released this beast when you see the bugs listed like that!

Mine is working.....for now!

The only reason I chose the 5810 over the 5800 was the appearance, on that point I feel I was right. When I say appearance I really mean the front display.

It is difficult to recommend the 5810 I have to say that.

jumbo
Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 11 Apr 2005 Posts: 4733
Wallace wrote:
It make one wonder why Topfield released this beast when you see the bugs listed like that!
I can see why Topfield have released this beast but I can't see why anyone would want to spend their hard earned cash to get one - even with your honest confession ...

Good job R2-D2.

Here's to the Freesat PVR Cool
aramil
Posted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:03 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 20 Jun 2006 Posts: 649 Location: Worcester, UK ; TX:Malvern Central
R2-D2 wrote:

TAPs continue running when the unit is in "standby" (the safest thing may be to disable them by not sending any events to them).

Would it not be safe to say the unit does not really go into standby. The unit still consumes an unreasonable amount of electricity in standby for a modern piece of consumer electronics.

simonc
Posted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:28 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Apr 2005 Posts: 5617 Location: Cheltenham
Humax claim that their new model has reduced standby consumption to 0.9W. That's more like it.
R2-D2
Posted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:45 am Reply with quote
aramil wrote:
Would it not be safe to say the unit does not really go into standby.
The whole "soft standby" thing has been poorly implemented, and solves a vanishingly rare problem (or, rather, doesn't actually solve it!). How often is a programme broadcast more than 10 minutes early? (Or 5 minutes, in fact?) Broadcasting a lot earlier could only be the result of a previous overrun causing other programmes to be dropped, but they'd still have to pad out the schedule at some point and the early showing would only serve to massively annoy the (important) audience watching live.

Proper shutdown and waking 10 minutes early sounds more and more attractive. Did somebody say the Humax does that?

Posted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:57 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 30 Oct 2007 Posts: 1865 Location: E Yorkshire Belmont Transmitter
R2-D2 wrote:
I think it's time for a summary of known bugs and missing features of the TF5810 firmware (most of which will apply to the TF5800's 5.14.X firmware) -- based on the unpatched 5.15.09A2 (which is the heart of the Unofficial Update V2). Please post any extra ones and I'll update this list.

I'm not sure if this failed recording is covered in the summary. It looks a bit like "3."

5810 V2 firmware.

Newtricks, bbc1 SL 21:00 failed to record. Just before 21:00 (not sure exactly when, but probably at about 20:58) I FF'd (x16) the adverts of a recorded program I was watching, stopped the program, and then switched to and immediately paused a recording of eastenders. Live tv (the digital tv) had Newtricks just starting (it actually started at about 21:00:15), but no recording light. The timer list had no entry (it was there earlier in the evening) and next weeks SL episode is still there.

Last edited by ccs on Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:00 am; edited 1 time in total
gomezz
Posted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:59 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Nov 2005 Posts: 3877 Location: Buckingham
R2-D2 wrote:
Proper shutdown and waking 10 minutes early sounds more and more attractive. Did somebody say the Humax does that?

I think it is supposed to but sometimes gets stuck in the totally On state. And it uses the EPG info rather than the running status data to control Accurate Recording with obviously mixed results. So basically a cock up of a different colour.

Barry
Posted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 22 May 2005 Posts: 122 Location: South West
gomezz wrote:
I think it is supposed to but sometimes gets stuck in the totally On state. And it uses the EPG info rather than the running status data to control Accurate Recording with obviously mixed results. So basically a cock up of a different colour.

Actually it uses the running status changes....however for early starts it does not check the status often enough.

Humax boots up 15 minutes prior to a scheduled timer.
R2-D2
Posted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Updated first post with current state of play.

Posted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:38 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 13 May 2005 Posts: 9282 Location: Sindlesham, Berkshire Tx: Hannington
Some more 5810's on the way from Turbosat? Wink Laughing

Now if only you could get your funding from Topfield and the fixes spun into the official firmware...

CW

R2-D2
Posted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:53 pm Reply with quote
chunkywizard wrote:
Some more 5810's on the way from Turbosat?
Smile As usual the patches have been mostly for my own benefit, but definitely given some impetus by TurboSat's encouragement to make the + versions. (Things have moved on a bit since then [as the above shows], and I've actually informed TurboSat of this, but I don't know if there will be any more "official" [UK] updates.)

Posted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:48 am Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 25 Sep 2008 Posts: 64
R2-D2 wrote:
Recording file names: multiple timers may be set at once for the same programme, and this messes up the algorithm that decides the filename (so you can get things like "Prog-2-2.rec"). Either the existing timers should be checked in addition to the recordings when a timer (and its filename) is set, or the choice of filename should be left to when the timer actually starts (and maybe left as "Prog.rec" until then).
Fixed by: [Tf].

If the [Tf] patch still relevant? I can't seem to find it.

Cheers,