Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  General Toppy discussions  ~  Relocation didnt record last night! - I got it series linked

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next
bpascua
Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:00 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 16 Jun 2008 Posts: 210
Hello All

Still getting to grips with my toppy. I have series linked relocation, relocation, relocation. It was in my timer list and I can see next weeks in there now.

But last night it didnt tape? how can I have prevented this?

Thanks

Brian
69diver
Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:13 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Jul 2005 Posts: 246 Location: Redhill, Surrey
Others will probably come back with more tech answers, but to save them time, can you state what model you have, the firware and any TAPs installed.

If you want a copy of the programme you can ask in the Programmes tab

However I did record this last night, and can send you a DVD-R if you want it

PM me to let me know

Regards
Dene

bpascua
Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:28 am Reply with quote
Hello,

i have a 5800 with 5.14.08, 2008-03-04 installed. In terms of taps I have -

tsr commnader
description extender
info viewer
quickjump
automove

Thanks

Brian
R2-D2
Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:29 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Dec 2006 Posts: 12149
bpascua wrote:
i have a 5800 with 5.14.08
(Sigh.) It's not the recommended firmware, and for good reasons. If you must persist with it then patch it to bits and don't get upset if it doesn't record what you wanted, screws up all your timers occasionally, and generally acts funny.

In particular, if the Toppy is in standby and an Accurate Recording timer (i.e. one set simply via the native EPG) is signalled by the broadcaster as starting more than 1 minute before the scheduled time then the Toppy will reliably fail to record it. Your only option here is to leave the Toppy on all the time, maybe with timeshifting off (and an occasional reboot).

Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:32 am Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 15 Jan 2008 Posts: 90 Location: Milton Keynes
It came out as location, location, location (with commas) on the EPG.
My CT worked, as it searches for the first word, not an exact match.
Peter
MikeyP
Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:43 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 17 Jan 2006 Posts: 4818
if you were in and about at the time at the time, you could have caught it on C4+1 ?
I presume it's still a ch4 programme, besides they usually repeat it again on more4 a couple or three days later when they've no other programming available

Parts or Repair service for your poorly toppy/PSU - 'talk to me' Smile my name's Mike though, not Terry Tibbs Very Happy
bpascua
Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:40 pm Reply with quote
all,

I dont really understand. I chose that firmware because it has the series link functionality - is it the case that the firmware is so bad that it wont work with the series link half the time?

All I want is a reliable way of recording programs via series link. I'm begining to think that is probably sky plus.

Cheers

Brian
R2-D2
Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:50 pm Reply with quote
bpascua wrote:
All I want is a reliable way of recording programs via series link.
There are issues with the Topfield firmwares for doing this, and there are (smaller) issues with the broadcast data. The recommended firmware (5.13.65) has been able to do the Series Link stuff for a very long time, using the SeriesLink and CRID TAPs. But only the latest firmwares offer a degree of Accurate Recording support (and all indications are that it may be a very long time before any TAPs offer this) -- and, as you've possibly seen, the support is buggy.

Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Hello R2D2,

Maybe you can help me then. I'd like to keep my toppy on this firmware as I want the native series link functionality without using taps. From what you've said I'd need to patch the firmware. I downloaded firmware patcher and patchpackv2 which seems to include the timerpatch that I think will help with my issues. But when I use firmware version TF5800PVR-456-2008Mar04.tfd to apply the patch set to both the timer fixes show as "not intended for this firmware".
Am I using the wrong patches?

Thanks

Brian
MikeyP
Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 17 Jan 2006 Posts: 4818
bpascua wrote:

Maybe you can help me then.

I should think so - he is the toppy patch master Smile

Parts or Repair service for your poorly toppy/PSU - 'talk to me' Smile my name's Mike though, not Terry Tibbs Very Happy
R2-D2
Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:21 pm Reply with quote
bpascua wrote:
I downloaded firmware patcher and patchpackv2 which seems to include the timerpatch that I think will help with my issues.
No, it won't help, since it doesn't apply to the 5.14.X firmwares. They do something different with timers and this has (as a side-effect) worked around the issue that the Timer patch fixes.

The "standby" problem is completely different and unique to 5.14.X -- the Toppy actually tries to start the recording at the signalled (early) time, but (because it's still in "standby") the disk is disabled... so the recording fails.

Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Hello R2D2(patch master),

So at my firmware level - is there anyhting I can do to fix my timer issue?

i plan on adding all the v2pack patches as a precaution to my firmware but I dont think this will help with the timer issue.

Thanks

Brian
R2-D2
Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:10 pm Reply with quote
bpascua wrote:
So at my firmware level - is there anyhting I can do to fix my timer issue?
As above, the only option for the early signalling+standby problem is to leave the Toppy on.

5.14.X is not really supported for any of the patches, although it shares a lot of the issues of 5.13.X that the patches were designed for. There are some which are moderately benign on 5.13.X but become very significant under 5.14.X. If I was pushed I'd recommend the same as the TF5810 Unofficial patch set: BfBqC0CeEcEpErEsFGmHMhPcRRhRpRsSSr (plus the EITDupFix TAP). But there will still be a number of outstanding bugs that Topfield still haven't fixed.

Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Hello R2D2,

So what you are recommending is firmware v5.14.08 plus the patches that are meant for the 5810?

Will I be ok with this patchset?

thanks

brian
R2-D2
Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:30 pm Reply with quote
bpascua wrote:
So what you are recommending is firmware v5.14.08 plus the patches that are meant for the 5810?
Yep.
Quote:
Will I be ok with this patchset?
No, you'd be OK with a suitably patched 5.13.65. But the patches may help a bit with some of 5.14.X's problems.