Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  General Toppy discussions  ~  Occasional Signal Break Up Down To Birds Sitting On Arial!!!

Page 1 of 1
tomtomtom
Posted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:32 am Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 14 Aug 2006 Posts: 28 Location: Sudbury, Suffolk
I have recently realised that birds, mainly pigeons, landing on my aerial are causing my signal to drop sometimes completely, sometimes just causing a little breakup, but for the duration that they are sitting on my arial they cause interference.

At the moment i have to run outside like a demented person shouting and cursing throwing things into the air at them to get them to move.

Has anyone else had this problem and have they found a way to solve it?

jumbo
Posted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:59 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 11 Apr 2005 Posts: 4733
An air rifle might be useful Wink
Steve_48
Posted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:06 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 21 Sep 2005 Posts: 260 Location: Willerby, East Yorkshire
Amazin' I get the same on Ch5 with the birds on my aerial; nice to know I'm not alone here

AutoStart TAPs: MyStuff v6.3 | eit2mei BETA 7.8m3 | TF5000 (LCD) Display TAP 1.51a | TSR Commander 1.5 | PowerManager v2.0 | TapCommander 1.31 Beta 6 | SuperPiP 1.1a | AccurateBM | RecordingFixer
Toys: Samsung 37" HD Freeview, Sony HT-SS500 Amplifier + 5.1 Speakers, Netgear Router, BuffaloNAS 4Tb, Xbox, Wii, PS3
R2-D2
Posted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:55 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Dec 2006 Posts: 12149
jumbo wrote:
An air rifle might be useful
If you want to enjoy the TV reception in prison, I suppose. Wild birds (including pigeons and seagulls) are protected by law, so it is illegal to harm or injure them (and non-wild birds are probably somebody's property). In some circumstances you may be able to get your council or a pest control company to help deal with problems. Realistically, though, your best bet is to attach some kind of anti-bird fixtures to or around the aerial (e.g. Defender Aerial Pack).

Posted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:02 am Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 30 Dec 2006 Posts: 46
Quote:
R2-D2 wrote:

Wild birds (including pigeons and seagulls) are protected by law, so it is illegal to harm or injure them

No so, it seems:
http://www.basc.org.uk/content/woodpigeonpractice

"The Woodpigeon (Columba palumbus) is both Britain?s major agricultural bird pest and one of the most popular species for sporting shooting. It is legal to shoot the bird all the year round. The Woodpigeon makes good eating and provides nourishing cheap food."

"In Britain the shooting of Collared Doves (Streptopelia decaocto) and the feral pigeon (Columba livia) is also permitted all year round but the Stock Dove (Columba oenas), Rock Dove (Columba livia) and Turtle Dove (Streptopelia turtur) are all protected species and may not be shot at any time."
underquark
Posted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:04 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 06 Oct 2005 Posts: 1775
Install a hawk.

5xTF5800PVR - 1 organ-donor, 1 for experimenting on, 2 x 250Gb and 1 x 500Gb (Seagate ST3500630A, no fan), one Toppy with UPS and dedicated aerial; MyStuff 6.3; QuickJump 1.72; EPG2 MEI; MEISearch 1.37; Various remotes - URC8820 (my fav.), URC8910 (for SWMBO), URC7562 (to learn new codes) programmed using tools from the excellent JP1 site.
R2-D2
Posted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:15 am Reply with quote
It's not that simple. They are still protected but there is a general licence which "authorised" people can use. And they cannot just be shot because they are causing a bit of a nuisance on your aerial. In this case, non-lethal methods of control are easily applicable and so you would be outside the licence if you harmed or injured them -- therefore you would risk going to prison.

Posted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:31 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 06 Oct 2005 Posts: 1775
If you're in town, you can't shoot them anyway (unless you're at Wimbledon - see here for story). If you're in the country, shooting them might provide a tasty meal but it won't stop others coming back as they're way too thick to deter that way. Also your retriever dog will have a hard time getting onto the roof.

5xTF5800PVR - 1 organ-donor, 1 for experimenting on, 2 x 250Gb and 1 x 500Gb (Seagate ST3500630A, no fan), one Toppy with UPS and dedicated aerial; MyStuff 6.3; QuickJump 1.72; EPG2 MEI; MEISearch 1.37; Various remotes - URC8820 (my fav.), URC8910 (for SWMBO), URC7562 (to learn new codes) programmed using tools from the excellent JP1 site.
MikeyP
Posted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:39 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 17 Jan 2006 Posts: 4816
isolate the aerial and electrocute the gits Smile

Parts or Repair service for your poorly toppy/PSU - 'talk to me' Smile my name's Mike though, not Terry Tibbs Very Happy
tomtomtom
Posted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:42 am Reply with quote
All very good suggestions thank you, but im not going to kill them although i do threaten to kill them often, (they dont seem to listen?)

I think it will have to be some kind of scarer
('Rolling Eyes')

R2-D2
Posted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:45 am Reply with quote
tomtomtom wrote:
I think it will have to be some kind of scarer
Don't scare them too much. Laughing If you visit coastal resorts that have to cope with seagulls then you'll see the sorts of defensive mechanisms they use. The spikey things are very common indeed.

Posted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:36 pm Reply with quote
underquark wrote:
Install a hawk.

jumbo
Posted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:40 pm Reply with quote
I'm in that sortof mood Razz:

MikeyP
Posted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 17 Jan 2006 Posts: 4816
here's a sensible solution Smile

shouldn't affect the effectiveness/gain of the aerial that much as it's plastic

http://www.livesafe.co.uk/Birdban_webpage.htm?gclid=CMLYysPfj5QCFQ6T1Qody3TLgw

Parts or Repair service for your poorly toppy/PSU - 'talk to me' Smile my name's Mike though, not Terry Tibbs Very Happy
tomtomtom
Posted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Some really funny people on here... Well done you got a smile out of me...

Fitting the hawk to my chimney pot will take some serious raw plugs...

I think the plastic spikes idea is great and will probably try that.
(Just must not do a Rod Hull in the process Confused)