Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  General Toppy discussions  ~  Replacement Remote ?

Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
jumbo
Posted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 11 Apr 2005 Posts: 4733
MikeyP wrote:
generally I can usually bounce the toppy remote signal off windows or walls and the toppy gets the signal
That's what I call a well trained Toppy! Fetch boy...
MikeyP
Posted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:11 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 17 Jan 2006 Posts: 4818
signal signal ! Smile

Although sometimes when using the progress bar , I feel like throwing the remote through the screen Rolling Eyes Wink

Parts or Repair service for your poorly toppy/PSU - 'talk to me' Smile my name's Mike though, not Terry Tibbs Very Happy
davidlqs
Posted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:42 am Reply with quote
I did still have the proctective cover on the shiny bits of the facia, would never have spotted that it was there!

The toppy now responds more regularly when I press a button on the remote, it's just sluggish. I guess its down to software, and I know exactly what you mean about the progress bar mikeyp.

Thanks for the advice.
MikeyP
Posted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:48 am Reply with quote
davidlqs wrote:
I did still have the proctective cover on the shiny bits of the facia, would never have spotted that it was there!.

bet it looks nice and shiny now Smile Wink

Parts or Repair service for your poorly toppy/PSU - 'talk to me' Smile my name's Mike though, not Terry Tibbs Very Happy
monarchee
Posted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Anybody know how to open the remote? The OK button on mine is getting very sticky. I can't see any screws and I'm afraid to lever the covers apart in case something goes crack. There are probably specific points where the clips are that would be the best place to do this.
simonc
Posted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Apr 2005 Posts: 5618 Location: Cheltenham
There used to be a photo somewhere in the forums with big red arrows on it showing where the lugs are.

They've gone. We should've grabbed them and bunged them in the wiki.
mike.hinson
Posted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Nov 2005 Posts: 1735 Location: Bordon, Hants UK
The guy who put them there, @twelfthmonkey, fixed them once already, perhaps he still has them... I guess you PMed him already? no point in us all spamming him.

/\/\
R2-D2
Posted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Dec 2006 Posts: 12149
Lots of pics.

Posted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Thanks R2 Smile
alan_m
Posted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 17 Oct 2006 Posts: 3201 Location: Southchurch Village, Southend-on-Sea
monarchee wrote:
Thanks R2 Smile

The problem with sticking keys and non-working keys is usually just general oily kunk from your hands. Dismantling and washing alone will cure the problem.

Don't use WD40 or graphite as suggested. Printed circuit boards can be washed in water with a drop of detergent if required - rinse with clean water. If you wash the circuit board first dry off with a tea towel and then leave for, say, half a day in a dry place (airing cupboard) to thoroughly dry, especially under any integrated circuits.

mike.hinson
Posted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Nov 2005 Posts: 1735 Location: Bordon, Hants UK
alan_m wrote:
monarchee wrote:
Thanks R2 Smile

The problem with sticking keys and non-working keys is usually just general oily kunk from your hands. Dismantling and washing alone will cure the problem.

Don't use WD40 or graphite as suggested. Printed circuit boards can be washed in water with a drop of detergent if required - rinse with clean water. If you wash the circuit board first dry off with a tea towel and then leave for, say, half a day in a dry place (airing cupboard) to thoroughly dry, especially under any integrated circuits.
Do you fancy updating our Wiki? You put it so well?

/\/\
MikeyP
Posted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:18 am Reply with quote
monarchee wrote:
Anybody know how to open the remote? The OK button on mine is getting very sticky. I can't see any screws and I'm afraid to lever the covers apart in case something goes crack. There are probably specific points where the clips are that would be the best place to do this.

Quote:
Printed circuit boards can be washed in water with a drop of detergent if required

the stickyness will be because of the oily gunk on the "rubber" button side of the button pad and on the mating hole on the front of the remote.

no need at all to clean the PCB or the back side of the button pad

underquark
Posted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:45 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 06 Oct 2005 Posts: 1776
As per MikeyP - in my experience a sticky button is because of gunk on the outside (user-side) of the buttons; non-response (i.e. no signal sent) is what happens with gunk on the underside or to wear of the contact surface.

5xTF5800PVR - 1 organ-donor, 1 for experimenting on, 2 x 250Gb and 1 x 500Gb (Seagate ST3500630A, no fan), one Toppy with UPS and dedicated aerial; MyStuff 6.3; QuickJump 1.72; EPG2 MEI; MEISearch 1.37; Various remotes - URC8820 (my fav.), URC8910 (for SWMBO), URC7562 (to learn new codes) programmed using tools from the excellent JP1 site.
alan_m
Posted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 17 Oct 2006 Posts: 3201 Location: Southchurch Village, Southend-on-Sea
MikeyP wrote:

the stickyness will be because of the oily gunk on the "rubber" button side of the button pad and on the mating hole on the front of the remote.

Not my experience with remotes I've taken apart.

Quote:

no need at all to clean the PCB or the back side of the button pad

If in doubt just wipe with a white paper towel. If there is anything seen wash the board and the membrane. The rubbish that gets beween the membrane and the printed circuit board can form an insulating layer.

underquark
Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:06 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 06 Oct 2005 Posts: 1776
Here is a diagram for taking apart another type of remote but the tips should apply to the Toppy remote too. Plastic knives from fast-food outlets are quite useful for holding remote casings apart.

5xTF5800PVR - 1 organ-donor, 1 for experimenting on, 2 x 250Gb and 1 x 500Gb (Seagate ST3500630A, no fan), one Toppy with UPS and dedicated aerial; MyStuff 6.3; QuickJump 1.72; EPG2 MEI; MEISearch 1.37; Various remotes - URC8820 (my fav.), URC8910 (for SWMBO), URC7562 (to learn new codes) programmed using tools from the excellent JP1 site.