Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  TAPs  ~  CutFile & JoinFile, CutAds & JoinAds

Page 2 of 19
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Aborigine
Posted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 28 Apr 2005 Posts: 447 Location: Amersham
Would it be possible for other TAPs to call the CutFile and/or CutAds TAPs and pass the details of the file to be cut, rather than running this TAP and then selecting the file?

I guess many people are using an existing archive viewing TAP (e.g. MyStuff or Media Manager) and it might be nice to be able to select a file there and just have an option to send it to be cut. Or even when playing a file? I currently often use the trimming options on the Media Manager stop menu to remove padding, easy but not very accurate (worse since moving to a 500GB HDD). Seems like it would be nice to be able to play a file, check the bookmark locations and then press a button or two to cut/trim it.
DX
Posted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 06 Apr 2005 Posts: 2657
mike.hinson wrote:
Perhaps DX or R2-D2 could give some guidance on the processing overhead this might create? The files on my Toppy are about 2.5Mb each.

Not a lot as far as mei2archive is concerned. It just opens the file for the desired date, so it doesn't really know or care how many other files are there. The amount of processing it does is the same regardless.

Any extra overheads are down to how long the firmware takes to open the file, but I don't know how well the firmware handles having a lot of files in a folder. I would expect opening the 365th file would take longer than opening the 1st, but how significant difference is I don't know. I would hope it is small, but with Toppy firmware you never know. Laughing

The other overhead is disk space, but filling a 160 GB disk takes a lot of data. Each file will take up more than 2.5 MB, since the space will be allocated in units of a cluster, but even so I don't think people would notice. The files for video recordings are hundred's of times bigger.
simonc
Posted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Apr 2005 Posts: 5617 Location: Cheltenham
Aborigine wrote:
Would it be possible for other TAPs to call the CutFile and/or CutAds TAPs and pass the details of the file to be cut, rather than running this TAP and then selecting the file?
... Or even when playing a file?
Yeah, I'd like to call CutFile up from QuickJump when the progress bar is up using the white button. I guess I'd have to cancel the playback before attempting to trim it though! I think there may be some issues working out which directory the playing file is in though.
R2-D2
Posted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Dec 2006 Posts: 12149
simonc wrote:
Yeah, I'd like to call CutFile up from QuickJump when the progress bar is up using the white button.
My only reservation is that this sort of thing would be better integrated with a better "search bar". Something that allows you to set bookmarks more accurately, see easily where they've been set, and move them about a bit. Possibly even combined with some sort of I-frame help (i.e. set a bookmark at the position before the previous I-frame).
Quote:
I guess I'd have to cancel the playback before attempting to trim it though!
Not necessarily. Smile
Quote:
I think there may be some issues working out which directory the playing file is in though.
Nah, that's easy, like it is for any open file.

Posted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:45 pm Reply with quote
R2-D2 wrote:
this sort of thing would be better integrated with a better "search bar". Something that allows you to set bookmarks more accurately, see easily where they've been set, and move them about a bit. Possibly even combined with some sort of I-frame help (i.e. set a bookmark at the position before the previous I-frame).
Definitely a better idea.
glenmcfar
Posted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 07 Dec 2006 Posts: 4519 Location: Dundonald, Ayrshire, Scotland
Being able to select multiple files would be nice - Cutads is very handy but would be even handier if I could set bookmarks in a whole raft of files then run it once.

Don't think I'll use the other two TAPs much. Merged files - bah!

Glen.

mike.hinson
Posted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Nov 2005 Posts: 1735 Location: Bordon, Hants UK
glenmcfar wrote:
Being able to select multiple files would be nice - Cutads is very handy but would be even handier if I could set bookmarks in a whole raft of files then run it once.
Or run it from the file while you are setting the bookmarks I supose?
glenmcfar wrote:
...Don't think I'll use the other two TAPs much. Merged files - bah!...
If you want to test exactly where the bookmarks will cut then CutFile might be handy as you can undo with JoinFile.

AND, do you honestly never get annoyed by having the end of a program you are watching stuck to the beginning of the next recording (that has already been deleted), as well as having a little segment of it missing all together?

/\/\
(my main mission now is to get Glen to enjoy a good merge)
glenmcfar
Posted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 07 Dec 2006 Posts: 4519 Location: Dundonald, Ayrshire, Scotland
mike.hinson wrote:

(my main mission now is to get Glen to enjoy a good merge)

Embarassed

I'm really and truly not into merging. Main reason - losing space that can't be reclaimed until all parts are deleted. Hmmm, along comes CutFile... guess I need another reason...

Its just too much of a fudge. CTs merge but one-shot timers don't. That issue with MyStuff option P8: Continue Sequential Playback (search for the thread about that Laughing ).

Maybe with the new version of MyStuff something cleverer can be done about this, perhaps using the Accurate Bookmarking data. But then maybe not.

Glen.

R2-D2
Posted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:39 pm Reply with quote
glenmcfar wrote:
Maybe with the new version of MyStuff something cleverer can be done about this
I don't think I'd ever want this sort of thing automated much more than it is already -- you just can't trust the broadcasters with this sort of stuff. AccurateBM and CutFile will make this easy in probably 90% of cases, but you still need to check what's actually happened. If you want to start a recording when the broadcaster signals it then you might as well use the Topfield Freeview Playback firmware -- give it a few months and let us know how annoyed you get. Smile Using the signals to place bookmarks and extend beyond the end padding is the best and safest use of the data, I think.

Posted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:50 pm Reply with quote
glenmcfar wrote:
...CTs merge but one-shot timers don't. That issue with MyStuff option P8: Continue Sequential Playback (search for the thread about that Laughing )...
But one-shot timers are for people who don't do testing on their Toppy... you loose all the one-shot timers every time you do a factory reset, how flimsey is that Rolling Eyes (they should merge though)

Don't get me started on "Continue Sequential Playback" I am just not budging... I don't want any machine telling me when to stop. I have a stop button & I press it when I am good & ready.

/\/\ Laughing Laughing
simonc
Posted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:06 pm Reply with quote
mike.hinson wrote:
Don't get me started on "Continue Sequential Playback" I am just not budging... I don't want any machine telling me when to stop. I have a stop button & I press it when I am good & ready.
Here here!
DefineByte
Posted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:45 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 07 Jun 2007 Posts: 221 Location: UK
mike.hinson wrote:
...you loose [sic Very Happy] all the one-shot timers every time you do a factory reset...

Wouldn't Channel Manager's "Factory Reset & full scan" option take care of that?

TF5800 250GB 5.13.65+patches AutoStart: Power Restore 0.7.6, EIT Sub 0.6 SnG, SecCache (UK) 0.4, Extend 1.7, Info Viewer 1.9 DE, QuickJump 1.72, UK Auto Scheduler 0.73.1, EPGnavigator 6.1b (simonc/biggsd), Filer 2.21, TF5000Display 1.53a Other TAPs: Channel Manager 5.1, CutAds 1.3, FastScanGUI 0.6a, HDDInfo 2.3a, HDFW 2.4, JoinAds 1.3, Signal Monitor 0.53, SimpleCharEditor 3.09, Sudoku 1.5, TAP Commander 1.34, Testpatterns 1.2
R2-D2
Posted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:25 am Reply with quote
[Bm] Bookmark V4 keeps the playback search bar open until you dismiss it and now jumps to the bookmark position that it's just set when you press the Green button so you can easily see where it has actually set it. I played with adjusting the offset so that it was a little more accurate, but the existing offset (positioning the bookmark a little back from where you actually requested it [or a lot, depending on the bitrate]) made tweaking the bookmark back a bit a lot easier. Anyway, try it and see.

Posted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:19 am Reply with quote
Bm v4 is great, I love it.

I notice an interesting addition to its capability that you have not mentioned. If you set the bookmark while playback is at 1/8 speed (eg using Quick Jump) then the bookmark is set at exactly the point you press the green button, rather than a little back from where you actually requested it like in full speed playback. This seems just how you would want it.

Setting bookmarks while playing recordings backwards seems to set the bookmark further towards the start of the recording than the point the green button was pressed.

Great patch, I can't see any normal people ever having the slightest unexpected behaviour from it Smile
/\/\
R2-D2
Posted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:35 am Reply with quote
mike.hinson wrote:
If you set the bookmark while playback is at 1/8 speed (eg using Quick Jump) then the bookmark is set at exactly the point you press the green button, rather than a little back from where you actually requested it like in full speed playback.
That and the reverse playback thing are surely features of the unpatched Toppy? (Connected to how the disk is being read and buffered.)