Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  General Toppy discussions  ~  USB to Toppy Connection Stopped Working

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Tom
Posted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:29 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 11 Jul 2005 Posts: 347
USB connecton to Toppy stopped functioning???? USB ports on PC OK as they read devices connected to them. Reinstalled Toppy PC tools and changed USB lead. Rebooted Toppy number of times - but nothing. Normally when I connect the USB lead there is a small beep and the Toppy appears in the left hand pane of the Altair window. At the moment the PC is dead when I connect to any USB port and obviously Altair is not seeing the Toppy. Any ideas?

Posted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:34 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Dec 2006 Posts: 12149
When I've got stuck like this before it's been because I tried to use a different USB port to the one I used when I installed the Topfield stuff. Rolling Eyes The solution for me was to disconnect the USB lead, uninstall everything and then reboot. Then reinstall everything, then reboot. Then run Altair and only at this point reconnect the USB lead from the Toppy.

You might find some help at the Troubleshooter, too.

Posted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:18 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 17 Jan 2006 Posts: 4816
R2-D2 wrote:
When I've got stuck like this before it's been because I tried to use a different USB port to the one I used when I installed the Topfield stuff. .

windows does sort of log that hardware (and driver set) on the socket it was originally installed on and causes all sorts of kerfuffle when you change socket afaik Smile

some usb sockets on the same pc are not the same

Parts or Repair service for your poorly toppy/PSU - 'talk to me' Smile my name's Mike though, not Terry Tibbs Very Happy
Tom
Posted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:46 am Reply with quote
No luck so far. Tried reboot and troubleshooting - inclding all the safe mode activities. Problem is when I plug the USB lead in the PC does nothing. Troubleshoting states the USB wizard will fire up and them explains what to do but I cannot get that far. So.......... I can delete all files off PC - install Topfield Tools but there are no USB drives shown in devoce manager. When I plug the USB lead in to a USB socket on the laptop nothing happens. It is as if there is nothing connected at the other end of the lead.

Posted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:00 am Reply with quote
might be a silly question but you do have the toppy actually turned on ?

if you're reinstalling you have to install the drivers before connecting the toppy or it gets in a muddle.

I'd go and have a refresher and re-read the install instructions word by word

Parts or Repair service for your poorly toppy/PSU - 'talk to me' Smile my name's Mike though, not Terry Tibbs Very Happy
Tom
Posted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:12 am Reply with quote
Sequence of events this morning having found out USB not working.

1. Rebooted Toppy
2. Changed USB lead
3. Downloaded Topfield Tools from this site (installer package from Topfield main site)
4. Deleted Topfield*.* and ttbulk*.* from pc
5. Installed topfield tools in safe mode following troubleshooting guide - at point where you have device manager open (USB drivers) and then plug in USB lead the wizard did not fire up because my laptop does not react when USB lead plugged in.

There are no steps to be careful about when installing the Topfield Tools - it is a one off install package. (I think this is new - when I first did this two years ago I'm sure the software setup was a little different).

To be honest I could connect to my Toppy via Altair no matter what USB port I used on the laptop - all three ports worked fine. Currently they all read memory sticks or other USB devices but not the Toppy. Hence I tried another (printer) USB lead - it is as if the Toppy is not connected. As far as I know there is not access to the USB i/f from the Toppy menu.

Posted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 11 Apr 2005 Posts: 4733
To be honest windows USB handling is so $#* that no matter what you do there'll always be scenarios outside the "norm" - especially where the Toppy is concerned. If possible use a "virgin" PC and take it from there.
MikeyP
Posted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:06 pm Reply with quote
jumbo wrote:
To be honest windows USB handling is so $#* .

well said that man

chinky
Posted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 21 Apr 2006 Posts: 220
this is going to sound odd but after having the same problem i searched this site and someone had suggested removing the laptop battery as it can cause usb issues. i did and it worked !!!!!! i cant remember if i had to reinstall altair but only one usb shows the toppy. gl

R2-D2
Posted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Dec 2006 Posts: 12149
chinky wrote:
someone had suggested removing the laptop battery as it can cause usb issues.
Have you got power saving enabled on the USB ports? It's not recommended. (Go to Device Manager, select each USB Root Hub, select the Power Management tab and turn off the power management.)

Posted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:28 am Reply with quote
Thanks al for replies. However, no luck. Tried battery trick and power to USB ports. Still cannot communicate with Toppy.

Posted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:32 am Reply with quote
got another PC in the building ??

I'd try that as suggested as a virgin (to toppy) PC and do a clean install

Daveuk
Posted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Tom wrote:
USB connecton to Toppy stopped functioning???? USB ports on PC OK as they read devices connected to them. Reinstalled Toppy PC tools and changed USB lead. Rebooted Toppy number of times - but nothing. Normally when I connect the USB lead there is a small beep and the Toppy appears in the left hand pane of the Altair window. At the moment the PC is dead when I connect to any USB port and obviously Altair is not seeing the Toppy. Any ideas?

My own recent experience might just point the way to a remedy for this.

I've just recently built a new rig and updated XP to SP3, this week I installed a feshly downloaded Topfields Windows Applications and tried to connect Toppy as usual to use Altair to transfer some files.

The PC recognised the Toppy but Altair couldn't see the Toppy, in Device Manager an exclaimation mark was shown indicating that the driver needed to be installed, try as I might I could not get the driver installed, and eventually everything just froze up.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled Topfields Window Applications 5 or 6 times and each time achieved the same result, finally uninstalled the Applications and installed a stand alone version of Altair (1.2.50), hey presto I am once again able to see the Toppy in Altair and transfer files to PC.

I might be alone here but having discovered certain other problems with SP3, then it might just be that which is your problem also.

Dave

TAPs: MyStuff 5.51 | eit2mei | TF5000 Display | Channel Manager
mike.hinson
Posted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Nov 2005 Posts: 1735 Location: Bordon, Hants UK
Hi Dave, thanks for reporting you experience.

There is a Wiki that has a troubleshooting section to try and help with these sorts of issues & I wondered if a few more details here might be worth collecting.

Can I take it that the version you were having problems with was the version from
http://www.toppy.org.uk/downloads/windows.php

Could you say where you downloaded the version of Altair on its own please? Was it from here:
http://www.topfield.co.uk/downloads.html

Thanks,
/\/\
Daveuk
Posted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:07 pm Reply with quote
mike.hinson wrote:
Hi Dave, thanks for reporting you experience.

There is a Wiki that has a troubleshooting section to try and help with these sorts of issues & I wondered if a few more details here might be worth collecting.

Can I take it that the version you were having problems with was the version from
http://www.toppy.org.uk/downloads/windows.php

Could you say where you downloaded the version of Altair on its own please? Was it from here:
http://www.topfield.co.uk/downloads.html

Thanks,
/\/\

Mike,

Yes the version of the Topfield Application was indeed downloaded from that link, the version of Altair was a zip I originally downloaded from somewhere (probably here) in 2006 when I bought my Toppy.

I have now downloaded the version of Altair from the link you have here but I can't try it out just yet, I'll load it tomorrow and give it a whirl and report back.

Bear in mind that I'm only suggesting that SP3 might be to blame as I had previously used the Topfield Application with XP SP2 without any problem whatsoever.

Dave

TAPs: MyStuff 5.51 | eit2mei | TF5000 Display | Channel Manager