Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  TAP and patch development  ~  Faster fast forward and rewind

Page 1 of 10
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
R2-D2
Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:09 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Dec 2006 Posts: 12149
Edit: latest versions are [Wf] WindFaster V7 and V8, which fully implement the faster winding (like 5.14.X). The difference between them is that V7 starts off at the fastest speeds, but V8 starts slow (like the native winding).

---
Original Post:

Here's an experimental patch which just does the obvious bits to enable faster winding: [Wf] WindFaster.tfp. I've not discovered how the 5.14.X firmware really does something new -- these changes never really made a huge difference for me under 5.13.X so I never bothered too much with them. They should give 2x, 4x, 8x, 16x forwards and backwards, but the indicated values won't change. However, the figures have never really been terribly accurate anyway, so maybe the indicated (smaller) value is a little bit closer to the truth now. Smile What I'd like to know is how this compares to the 5.14.X speeds (is there a significant difference?).

Oh, and the patch also enables the fourth forward (8x) and rewind (4x) speeds that for some reason didn't seem to be used, but I think are used in 5.14.X.

Last edited by R2-D2 on Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:54 am; edited 1 time in total
glenmcfar
Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 07 Dec 2006 Posts: 4519 Location: Dundonald, Ayrshire, Scotland
All seems tippity-top with this patch, the extra speed setting is working fine and I can categorically state in a scientific fashion that it seems to be faster....

Glen.

jumbo
Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:26 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 11 Apr 2005 Posts: 4733
I thought this was a wind-up Wink
jumbo
Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:50 am Reply with quote
I have banished the general OSD stuff that displays the speed of fast forward/rewind (amongst other things) BUT would like to this info just for this purpose, i.e. when I do fast forward/rewind. Can the patch be enhanced to show a little 1,2,3,4 (to indicate how many times I have pressed << or >> ) somewhere on screen or some other "simple" meaningful graphic? (I realise this can be done independently by monitoring the relevant key-presses but would like to see it part of the patch - if possible!)

(It's about time R2-D2 changed his name to "Tinker Bell" Wink He's obviously sprinkling magic dust all over the forum)
glenmcfar
Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:56 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 07 Dec 2006 Posts: 4519 Location: Dundonald, Ayrshire, Scotland
Using MyStuff I've managed to get rid of all the native OSDs too, but I like to keep the roundels, especially now its been patched to show the filename. Perhaps you could go that route, thus keeping your x1, x4, etc.

Glen

jumbo
Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:29 am Reply with quote
I have switched off the roundels using Improbox. If I have the roundels ON then I get them with the smart ad skipper "Skip" every time I jump back/forth - which I definitely don't want!
simonc
Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:30 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Apr 2005 Posts: 5618 Location: Cheltenham
Use QuickJump instead, I don't do any of that flickery roundel nonsense Wink
R2-D2
Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:21 am Reply with quote
jumbo wrote:
I have banished the general OSD stuff that displays the speed of fast forward/rewind (amongst other things) BUT would like to this info just for this purpose, i.e. when I do fast forward/rewind. Can the patch be enhanced to show a little 1,2,3,4 (to indicate how many times I have pressed << or >> ) somewhere on screen
That's stretching the concept of "patch" a little. Smile But it might be possible to alter the "No Roundels" patch (see other thread somewhere...) to keep the playback speed roundels (or maybe all the playback ones, if that's not an easy change).
Andy K
Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 14 Jun 2005 Posts: 3499 Location: Owner of 3 Topfields
What is it that people hate about roundals ? Is it the big text bar to the left or the roundal itself ?

Autostart TAPs: Jags 3, Bookmark 2uk, Quickjump 1.71, Power Manager 1.1, Description Extender 1.5/2.1, MEI2Archive 3.8l6, Tap Launcher 3.5a, Tap Commander, AccurateBMExtend 0.3, RemoteExt 1.5, TunerRecAR.2
Launched during EPG scan: Crid, SeriesLink 0.35
TF5800 Version 5.13.65 PHT2UFXp5Xw3RpPcE2Bf2BqRsRh3Pf1Ec2ErEfHe1 Ra3Cf2Ct
Samsung 400Gb+Fan
SonicLife
Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 24 Oct 2005 Posts: 1262
I would also like the roundels to come up when paused, but not generally, if you ever fancy showing them when FF/Rew is active.
SonicLife
Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 24 Oct 2005 Posts: 1262
Andy K wrote:
What is it that people hate about roundals ? Is it the big text bar to the left or the roundel itself ?
For me it's the same sort of interruption to my viewing as when a TV channel tells me what the next program is over the top of the program I am watching.
simonc
Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Yes, there should be a way to make them only appear after user interaction, not when a recording starts or ends. It's especially annoying if you're watching something from the archive and a dual recording starts. A quarter of the screen is eaten up.

@R2-D2
Does the roundel show code for recordings starting and ending run through the EnterNormal code or is it called from elsewhere? If so, you could remove the call there and leave EnterNormal/the roundel draw routine alone.
gomezz
Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Nov 2005 Posts: 3883 Location: Buckingham
simonc wrote:
A quarter of the screen is eaten up.

A quarter? Sounds like there is something wrong with your display. Less than a quarter of a quarter on my TV.

simonc
Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:00 pm Reply with quote
OK, I exaggerate slightly. On bothering to do a proper estimate, I'd say about 1/6.
R2-D2
Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:16 pm Reply with quote
simonc wrote:
Does the roundel show code for recordings starting and ending run through the EnterNormal code or is it called from elsewhere?
There are calls all over the place. Removing the obvious one from EnterNormal() has seemingly no effect at all, but that doesn't really surprise me. (The NoRoundels patch just turns the main function into a NOP, which kills them all dead.)