Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Firmwares, enhancements and upgrades  ~  REQ: Patch for EPG cache flaw

Page 3 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
R2-D2
Posted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Dec 2006 Posts: 12149
dvbgeek wrote:
BTW, is there supposed to be a 0x05 character between the Short and Extended field in a MEI file? (Just checking).

That's a bug, but I suspect DX (eit2mei) will blame simonc (DescriptionExtender). Smile The first character of one of these strings can be a special one that describes the character set being used. So 0x05 on the extended description says it's ISO 8859-9. I think DescriptionExtender just concatenates the strings and doesn't cater for this special character.
simonc
Posted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Apr 2005 Posts: 5618 Location: Cheltenham
Perhaps I'd better set about stripping any non ascii characters, but I'm a bit lazy, so, can someone give me a brief summary of where these characters appear?
dvbgeek
Posted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 16 Apr 2007 Posts: 168 Location: Sweden
simonc wrote:
Perhaps I'd better set about stripping any non ascii characters, but I'm a bit lazy, so, can someone give me a brief summary of where these characters appear?

I've only found them in the Description field of MEI files, at the point where the Extended description begins in the EIT data. Stripping all non-ASCII characters would perhaps be a bad idea (at least for me) as that'd also lose all Swedish characters. That MyStuff does this in many cases (file names, channel names, and when reading rec headers) is bad enough.

Autoload TAPs: Power Down / TF5000Display / eit2mei - mei2archive - DescriptionExtender / MyStuff / TAP Commander (always the latest version of everything)
R2-D2
Posted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 5:27 pm Reply with quote
simonc wrote:

I think you only need to worry about the first character (or 3 chars in one specific case). This is because you're concatenating strings, and making this first character appear in the middle of a string where it won't have the same significance. I don't think you need to worry about the other control codes since the Toppy will still handle them as well as normal (which means I don't know what it does Smile).

If the first byte is 0x00 to 0x1f then it's deciding the character coding table in use (and if it's 0x10 then the next two bytes are used to decide this -- although only 0x0000 to 0x000f are currently used). Now, how well you handle this probably matters to very few people. You could compare character codings of the two strings and use the best one... or you could just ignore leading 0x00-0x1f. I think I know which one I'd go for.

(This stuff is in EN 300 468 - V1.7.1, Annex A.)
simonc
Posted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Apr 2005 Posts: 5618 Location: Cheltenham
I've got no way of testing whether it works or not, so you'll have to test it for me. This version strips the first or first 3 characters of the EIT data.
Rob74
Posted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:19 pm Reply with quote
R2-D2 wrote:
dvbgeek wrote:
Also, I do hope this is a command that affects only the runtime firmware in memory and not the actual on-flash firmware... ?

Well, yes, but not that it would make a huge difference. Smile I've packaged it up as a quick TAP. Still not sure it will make much difference to your EPG problems, though.

This patch works perfectly for me too Very Happy. Now the EPG data shows up correct allt the time. Thank you very much.

/Robert
R2-D2
Posted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Since it appears to be useful, here's the EPG short description fix as a firmware patch. Should apply to a wide range of firmwares, not just TF5700.
glenmcfar
Posted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 07 Dec 2006 Posts: 4519 Location: Dundonald, Ayrshire, Scotland
andyrogers wrote:
R2-D2

The 2.25mb patch seems be doing the trick thanks, so far no problems or missing entry's etc.

thanks Again

Andy

You still running this patch happily? Did it give much of an improvement, or were you just playing safe with free memory for TAPs?

Glen.

harrismail
Posted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 14 Aug 2006 Posts: 392 Location: Warwickshire
I'm trying to eak out a bit more free memory too and was thinking of applying the 2.25mb EPG patch but looking at my freeview.mei and the eit2mei.mei files they're around 3mb so I guess applying the patch might not leave enough room for them to comfortably fit?

Steve
R2-D2
Posted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:30 pm Reply with quote
harrismail wrote:
looking at my freeview.mei and the eit2mei.mei files they're around 3mb
It's not the size that counts (Ahem!), but it can be a good indication. My Freeview.mei is about 1.8Mb, but I've set up eit2mei to only collect the channels I use in MyStuff. And my EIT buffer usage (which is what the patches address) is about 2.1Mb. If you delete things like the pay channels or other fluff channels you don't use then you could reduce that a little more, probably to <2Mb.

Posted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Is deleting all the channels you don't want the same as configuring eit2mei to not collect for them.

And how do you determine the size of the EIT buffer usage?

Steve
R2-D2
Posted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 2:29 pm Reply with quote
harrismail wrote:
Is deleting all the channels you don't want the same as configuring eit2mei to not collect for them.
Not the same, but doing the former will (necessarily) have the same effect as the latter.
Quote:
And how do you determine the size of the EIT buffer usage?
Me? I poke round the back and ask it. It's basically all the text strings from the EIT info, with each rounded up to multiples of 32 bytes, so not directly comparable to Freeview.mei (which contains all the rest of the info and some formatting fluff).

Posted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 2:39 pm Reply with quote
I asked for that Confused I should have known it was technical.

Steve
harrismail
Posted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 4:37 pm Reply with quote
All non required channels deleted from Channel Manager and the freshly created .mei files are now under 2mb so I've installed the 2.5mb EPG patch and all appears well....... so far.

I hope the extra memory counts for something Confused

Steve
R2-D2
Posted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 4:43 pm Reply with quote
harrismail wrote:
I hope the extra memory counts for something Confused
About 1.25Mb. Smile