Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Firmwares, enhancements and upgrades  ~  Test firmware 5.13.55

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next
nwhitfield
Posted: Sat May 12, 2007 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 20 Mar 2005 Posts: 9568 Location: London
This test firmware is now available from the Member's only downloads area.

It has had a basic sanity check by the UK beta-test group, and appears to solve the problem with the box crashing when pages are selected on Teletext (ie ITV/C4). It seems reasonably stable, but we cannot guarantee that it will be compatible with every TAP, and it has not been exhaustively tested.

Note also that some of the information on the IRD Status screen appears in the wrong position.

If you do not need to use Teletext services, there is no need to use this firmware, and you should probably stick with the current release version, 5.13.40.

To download this file, you need to be registered on the forums, and then sign in to the Your Tools section of the web site via the home page.

Nigel.

Posted: Sun May 13, 2007 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 07 Dec 2006 Posts: 4519 Location: Dundonald, Ayrshire, Scotland
One day after I extend a fully patched firmware with aXeL, some cheeky monkey comes along with a new firmware. Luckily, I have a sense of humour.

Now to borrow that XP laptop again....

R2-D2
Posted: Mon May 14, 2007 10:49 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Dec 2006 Posts: 12149
Is it just me, or does this new firmware eat another 750Kb of memory over 5.13.40?
sanecyclist
Posted: Mon May 14, 2007 11:07 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 10 May 2006 Posts: 817
R2-D2 wrote:
Is it just me, or does this new firmware eat another 750Kb of memory over 5.13.40?

I don't know, but have you still got the same channel line-up as before (and thus the same amount of EPG data)?
R2-D2
Posted: Mon May 14, 2007 12:31 pm Reply with quote
sanecyclist wrote:
I don't know, but have you still got the same channel line-up as before (and thus the same amount of EPG data)?

Yeah, same channels -- pretty much the same size eit2mei.mei files (a bit smaller if anything). But running it without TAPs shows a similar usage to 5.13.40, so I'll reserve judgment for now and maybe do a bit more research. Smile
birdman
Posted: Wed May 16, 2007 12:23 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 13 Dec 2006 Posts: 1759 Location: Hitchin, HERTS Tx: Sandy Heath
Is there a verison of 5.13.55 with the "PHT2a" patches applied anywhere?

Toppy: TF5800PVR/250 - Black, now 1TB WD10EURX
F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 -FmVrXp+BmC0CbFsIPsUUuWfZXl,
Loader: C5.14, Hardware: 1.01
TAPs: SecCache (UK) v0.4; EPG2MEI v0.96; FontManager 1.0d; QuickJump 1.71; MhegOnOff(Now1) A3; EIT Sub v0.6; MyStuff 6.6
USB connected: SheevaPlug with Debian wheezy
Sig mostly from MyInfo on 26/10/09
R2-D2
Posted: Wed May 16, 2007 7:55 am Reply with quote
birdman wrote:
Is there a verison of 5.13.55 with the "PHT2a" patches applied anywhere?

There is now. Have a look here. You can now roll your own using FWPatcher and decide whether you want the Power Restore and HDD patches, too (and others).
cumbrian
Posted: Sat May 19, 2007 10:06 am Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 29 Dec 2006 Posts: 31 Location: Carlisle, UK
Accepting that this is still a test firmware - it seems to have a bug with standby. Can't see it elsewhere so this may be of interest to the test team. Hope this is the right place for it.

Occasionally refuses to come out of standby on manual command using the Toppy remote. Appears to work ok but then displays the "four dots of doom" and returns to standby. Several extended power down/up cycles do not resolve it, but using the Front Panel standby button is succesful. After that Toppy responds normally to all remote commands.

Presumably related (?) - at times the screen displays the message "Power Off - Recording not finished Yes/No" for no obvious reason. Using the remote to select "No" simply enters an apparently endless cycle of this message (and "OFF" on the front panel) Selecting "Yes" from the remote breaks the loop, puts Toppy into standby and permits a normal manual wake up. Not tried the Front panel buttons on this one yet.

Neither is so far reproducible nor predictable. Not experienced this on previous firmwares.

Regards

Alan

HydeTheDarkerSide
Posted: Sat May 19, 2007 11:19 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 11 May 2005 Posts: 5955 Location: Hannington Transmitter : Sony KDL 40Z5800
cumbrian wrote:
...Occasionally refuses to come out of standby on manual command using the Toppy remote. Appears to work ok but then displays the "four dots of doom" and returns to standby. Several extended power down/up cycles do not resolve it, but using the Front Panel standby button is succesful. After that Toppy responds normally to all remote commands.
Those power down/up cycles, is that a real power off, ie switch off the mains power, or just a switch off to stand-by? The "four dots of doom" bug has been in every firmware we've had Sad so I'm not expecting this one to be any different Shocked The usual remedy is to cut the mains power by pulling the plug for a few seconds.

cumbrian wrote:
Presumably related (?) - at times the screen displays the message "Power Off - Recording not finished Yes/No" for no obvious reason. Using the remote to select "No" simply enters an apparently endless cycle of this message (and "OFF" on the front panel) Selecting "Yes" from the remote breaks the loop, puts Toppy into standby and permits a normal manual wake up. Not tried the Front panel buttons on this one yet.

Neither is so far reproducible nor predictable. Not experienced this on previous firmwares.
Nope I've not seen or heard of that one either Shocked perhaps the power cycle will help that one too. Unless of course your power cycle comment above is a real power off, in which case I've run out of suggestions. Whilst I still haven't had time to run the formal test scripts for this f/w, it has performed OK for me in general use.

MyStuff Links: http://www.toppy.org.uk/~mystuff/index.shtml
Sig generated by MyInfo on 11/10/13
cumbrian
Posted: Sat May 19, 2007 11:52 am Reply with quote
Yep these were real power down cycles. Not sure what the recomended time is supposed to be but have left it disconn from mains for up to 5 mins. I agree that this is normally an effective solution to a number of Toppy idiosyncracies but not this time. Confused

I'm discounting problems with the remote for now since this works normally once either issue has been resolved.

Otherwise I agree, 5.13.55 seems pretty good from an end user point of view. On a minor level, there are some slightly irritating cases of the highlight bar background colour in ITV Teletext being placed on top of the text (and obliterating it), but I'm not sure if that's the broadcaster or Toppy. Nor am I certain if this pre-dates .55 - I assume that has been spotted by others.

cumbrian
Posted: Tue May 22, 2007 8:27 pm Reply with quote
For information - The odd standby behaviour I posted on 19 May still persists.

The 'four dots of doom' is sometimes resolved by disconnection from the mains - sometimes not. In that case, manual waking up using the Front Panel button is the apparent cure.

Equally - when in the 'Recording not finished Power Off? ' message loop using the Front Panel Buttons is a succesful exit whereas the Remote still fails to work as expected.

Since it would appear that my experience is isolated then perhaps I have a corrupt copy of the firmware ? I'll download again and re-install - but if this fails I'll go back to the current firmware release. I've not experienced problems of this type with other releases.

Hope this is of some value.

Regards

glenmcfar
Posted: Tue May 22, 2007 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 07 Dec 2006 Posts: 4519 Location: Dundonald, Ayrshire, Scotland
Obviously there are so many variables in a Toppy that it can be difficult to pin down the cause of your problem, but for the record my 5.13.40 (both OTA and PHT patched versions) seemed to cause me more bother than the previous 5.12.88, but my current 5.13.55PHST2b has been rock solid. I've had no missed recordings, no crashes, no shutdowns, no dots, nothing.

(We could do with some sort of standardisation for the patch names. Its getting a biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit silly now with all those letters. And I've still to add the aspect ratio patch Rolling Eyes )

Geoff_W
Posted: Wed May 30, 2007 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 19 Jan 2006 Posts: 603
Has anyone with this revision had any problems with a stuttering picture on BBC interactive (specifically, French Open tennis on Ch. 302?). Once the stuttering starts, the Toppy appears to have locked up by not responding to the remote, but if you leave it for a few minutes it does eventually allow you to shut the box down. A reboot seems to cure the problem.

Geoff

chunkywizard
Posted: Wed May 30, 2007 4:54 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 13 May 2005 Posts: 9321 Location: Sindlesham, Berkshire Tx: Hannington
That sounds like a low memory condition to me...

CW

Geoff_W
Posted: Wed May 30, 2007 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 19 Jan 2006 Posts: 603
That's interesting. I usually run at about 13.6Mb but obviously this can change dynamically. I'll have to investigate a memory-logging TAP.

Geoff