Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  MyStuff  ~  MyStuff 5.21a Bug and Feature Posts Only

Page 35 of 80
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 34, 35, 36 ... 78, 79, 80  Next
simonc
Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:37 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Apr 2005 Posts: 5617 Location: Cheltenham
Why not use the macro TAP to convert OK keypresses into Guide keypresses? If it's placed after MyStuff, it won't do the conversion when MyStuff is active.
Black Cloud
Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Sep 2005 Posts: 297 Location: Brentwood Transmitter: Crystal Palace
Had a problem yesterday evening.

Toppy was recording on both tuners while family were watching live.

Tuner 1: Emmerdale ITV 18:58 - 19:30, then Corrie ITV 19:30 - 20:05.
Tuner 2: Gadget Show on five 19:13 - 19:58, then Eastenders BBC1 19:58 - 20:35.

MyStuff was entrusted to modify padding across all channels.

Family watched Emmerdale. As always, Toppy starts out with both tuners on ITV, so they get a CYR at 19:12 because Toppy wants a tuner to record from five. Rolling Eyes They have been instructed by Senior Nerd to ignore the message, wait for the channel switch, then switch back, else recording will get stuffed. They obey instructions exactly and carp only a little.

Then at 19:57 there is an unexpected CYR at a critical time in Corrie. Crying or Very sad Toppy wants a tuner to record Eastenders. But why? It used the other one to make the recording. Anyway, Toppy did the channel change and family switched straight back, only to get the start of Corrie in chase play mode. They know to hit 'live' at this point, which they did, and got dumped back on BBC1 Shocked instead of live ITV. Senior Nerd could not rescue the situation - ITV could not be viewed at that time, even though it was later demonstrated that the recording of Corrie had continued successfully until 20:05.

Everything was fine by the time the second Corrie started around 20:30, which the Toppy also recorded. There are no other problems with the Toppy - remote is responding well at the moment and there are no flashing dots on the display, it being only four days since its last deprivation of electrons. So, it didn't make a mistake - it did it deliberately!

The upshot of this is that the Toppy will be downgraded to a recorder only, and the old STB will be reinstalled to allow normal live viewing.

Might I suggest that the "chase play from the beginning when you join a channel already recording" function should be optional. I think the function is really great, but it exacerbates the (nutty) CYR problem.

I would like to add that MyStuff is utterly brilliant for recording by timer - I rarely watch anything live. When I first got the Toppy I set up a CT for Doctor Who, not knowing what time of year it might be back, and have just enjoyed the fruits of your labour as it caught the first episode.

andygrunt
Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 11 Aug 2005 Posts: 401 Location: Bristol, UK
Might it be a good idea to have a global option of CT's ignoring spaces and other non alphabetic characters in search text?

For example, I have a CT search for 'Never mind the full stops' on BBC4 (dunno why really as it winds me up more often than not but anyway...) and I just noticed that tonight and next weeks episodes haven't had a CT set for them. On closer inspection I see it's because it's listed in the EPG as 'Nevermind the full stops' (with a missing space). Presumably this is a fairly rare occurrence but I have previously seen titles of other shows with other non alphabetic characters (e.g. hyphens and colons) chop and change over time.

Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 11 May 2005 Posts: 5887 Location: Hannington Transmitter : Sony KDL 40Z5800
It does already ignore some puntuation, but spaces are whole different ball game. You'd end up with recordings of some very strange stuff. Just have to accept that the broadcaster sometimes (or is that some times) cocks it up Shocked

MyStuff Links: http://www.toppy.org.uk/~mystuff/index.shtml
Sig generated by MyInfo on 11/10/13
andygrunt
Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:44 pm Reply with quote
HydeTheDarkerSide wrote:
You'd end up with recordings of some very strange stuff.

I'm not sure I know what you mean. After all, the words would still be in the right order or does MS ignore the order of the search words?

Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:22 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 07 Apr 2006 Posts: 673 Location: UK
Hello,

Is there a method of changing MyStuff options without MyStuff running?

I ask as I had a problem where I changed a setting and then the Toppy repeatedly crashed so I wanted to revert to the original configuration but couldn't as MyStuff wouldn't stay up.

Or is it a case of simply copying MyStuff.dat before any changes are made and then copying back?

Thanks,

MG

chunkywizard
Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:54 am Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 13 May 2005 Posts: 9276 Location: Sindlesham, Berkshire Tx: Hannington
Hi Mark,

yep, MyStuff.dat holds all the settings so take a back up and delete it. Before you do then export the setting values using the Option in section Z and then you will know what to set them all back to!!

HTH

CW

[Edit] Being stupid, if you can get it to load you can't export the settings, oh well!

gmiles
Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 17 Feb 2006 Posts: 109 Location: Emley Moor
Would it be feasible in a future release to have message generated when a recording fails with details of why i.e. no tuner, program clash etc

MarkG
Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 07 Apr 2006 Posts: 673 Location: UK
I was just wondering whether the Easter Bunny (aka Bob D) was making any deliveries in the not too distant future? Very Happy

chunkywizard
Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:01 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 13 May 2005 Posts: 9276 Location: Sindlesham, Berkshire Tx: Hannington
Erm, no! Current build still needs lots of testing i'm afraid, and there are still features to add.

Sorry,

CW

andygrunt
Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:09 pm Reply with quote
chunkywizard wrote:
there are still features to add.

Here's a new one to think about...

I'm starting to use quite a few CT's even though I am careful to try and keep them down to a reasonable number. Also, what with the next version also searching description text (Yay!!), I would imagine search times are in danger of lengthening. So, this is an idea to help keep the search time down to a manageable level.

How about allowing the user to select how often the CT is run? For example, most of my CT's would be just as effective if they were only run every so often. So, rather than ALL CT's being searched EVERY time, many might only run once a week or once every 2 or 3 days.

A specific example is for a series that's come to an end but you want to keep the search so you catch it again when the new series starts. It's wasted time searching for that several times a day - once a week would be plenty.

Happy Easter break Wink

Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:34 am Reply with quote
Hi, hope i'm posting in the right place. had a quick search but couldnt see any answers, so..... I'm having a minor problem with myStuff to do with favorites.

I create the my faves file on my pc and put in the channel numbers exactly as the manual states, copy it over and select it by pressing the option button on the epg screen - all good.

but when i watch tv and go back into the epg, although it just shows the channels in the list, none of the channel logos appear (i can see tv footage where the logos normally sit), and some of the channel info is duplicated onto other channels. it changes when you scroll to the affected channels to show the correct info.

am i doing something wrong, or is this a pesky bug?

(i'll have to look into deleting channels otherwise as scrambled UK Gold and QVC have to go!)

edit: toppy info: 250gb, feb 07 firmware, only the mystuff packaged taps installed and set up as per the manual.
HydeTheDarkerSide
Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:40 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 11 May 2005 Posts: 5887 Location: Hannington Transmitter : Sony KDL 40Z5800
poloman wrote:
Hi, hope i'm posting in the right place. had a quick search but couldnt see any answers, so..... I'm having a minor problem with myStuff to do with favorites.

I create the my faves file on my pc and put in the channel numbers exactly as the manual states, copy it over and select it by pressing the option button on the epg screen - all good.
You also need to set a default in the Options screen.

poloman wrote:
but when i watch tv and go back into the epg, although it just shows the channels in the list, none of the channel logos appear (i can see tv footage where the logos normally sit), and some of the channel info is duplicated onto other channels. it changes when you scroll to the affected channels to show the correct info.
You need to see if the Toppy is storing duplicate channels and remove them, either manually or with the ChannelManager TAP. Then I assume you've copied the logo dat file[s] across to the Toppy and they're sitting in the correct folder? The MyStuff manual has a section that describes the correct file locations. Whilst MyStuff will attempt to copy support files to the correct locations on 1st use, it can go wrong on the odd occasion.

poloman wrote:
am i doing something wrong, or is this a pesky bug?
Something wrong Wink

poloman wrote:
(i'll have to look into deleting channels otherwise as scrambled UK Gold and QVC have to go!)
Yup, but see above too.

poloman wrote:
edit: toppy info: 250gb, feb 07 firmware, only the mystuff packaged taps installed and set up as per the manual.
Hmm, as I say worth checking with Altair that everything is indeed in the correct locations.

Let us know how you get on Smile

MyStuff Links: http://www.toppy.org.uk/~mystuff/index.shtml
Sig generated by MyInfo on 11/10/13
nik
Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:12 pm Reply with quote
HydeTheDarkerSide wrote:
That's a whole chunk of work we're not close to yet Shocked

I've no idea how Tivo achieves this, or even if they hold some kind of patent on the idea/deployment thereof.

But for us to do that is not yet on the radar. Issues about knowing what you're watching as opposed to being captured by the other tuner, or in playback mode, when you're not actually "watching" anything at all.

How you'd extract actor names from any other kind of word (capitalisation of first letter aside), from the description area would be kinda tricky.

If I was going to write it I'd investigate a naive Bayesian implementation. Broadly...

Maintain two lists. One is a list of programme descriptions of programmes that haven't been recorded. The other is a list of programme descriptions of programmes that have been recorded.

Every n minutes/hours look at the descriptions of new programmes that have arrived in the EPG data. Use Bayes theorem to calculate the probablity of the programme description appearing in the non-recorded and the recorded lists, and if the respective probabilities cross some sort of user-defined threshold (e.g., 95% sure it wouldn't appear on the not-recorded list, and 80% sure it would appear on the recorded list) then flag it for recording.

This is (roughly) what mail clients like Thunderbird do when the determine if an e-mail message is/is not spam.
Geoff_W
Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 19 Jan 2006 Posts: 599 Location: Nottingham
Just encountered an interesting little bug.

I was looking at the MyStuff EPG when 2 recordings started at 08.29, Gardener's World on BBC2 and Emma on ITV1. The BBC2 recording started a second or two before the ITV1 one, so I got the infamous Check Your Reservation message. I chose Yes and the live TV was switched to ITV1 as expected.

However, here's the bug - I was left with a rectangular remnant of the EPG in the middle of the screen which I could not get rid of. Exit wouldn't work and neither would pressing any of the normal MyStuff functions such as Archive. Neither could I change channels by keying in a number or using P+/P-. I had to press Standby to close the Toppy down and then quickly reboot and get my recordings going again manually.

Never seen this behaviour before, so is this a bug?

Geoff

TAPs: MyStuff 6.4; EPG2MEI v0.96; TF5000 Display v1.53; mei2archive BETA 3.8l3; Extend v1.7; MHEG On/Off A2; TAP Commander 1.32; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; MyInfo B5.4; Font Manager 1.0d;
Sig generated by MyInfo on 18/5/11