Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  MyStuff  ~  MyStuff 5.21a Bug and Feature Posts Only

Page 32 of 80
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 78, 79, 80  Next
chunkywizard
Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:32 am Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 13 May 2005 Posts: 9305 Location: Sindlesham, Berkshire Tx: Hannington
meadfoot wrote:
THINK ITS FIXED !!!

Glad to hear it. We finally tracked it down (and it looks like it might be gomezz's problem as well). I will see if Bob can code a fix so it doesn't stump other users.

Cheers

Chunkywizard

andygrunt
Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:58 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 11 Aug 2005 Posts: 401 Location: Bristol, UK
Some (most?) screens respond to pressing the 'Pip Swap' key (several times) to show a key to the available buttons which can be very handy.

[Edit] This is a response to clifhanger_uk's post about remembering keys.

Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:25 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Dec 2006 Posts: 12149
chunkywizard wrote:
We finally tracked it down (and it looks like it might be gomezz's problem as well). I will see if Bob can code a fix so it doesn't stump other users.

Not stumping the MyStuff team is a big start, though! Smile It's a funny one that, since isn't the backslash pretty much the only reserved character in Toppy filenames? Since the Toppy uses backslash as a directory separator (like Windows), not / (like Unix). So / ought to be treated as just another character.
meadfoot
Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 19 Jul 2005 Posts: 203 Location: Solihull, England
chunkywizard wrote:
meadfoot wrote:
THINK ITS FIXED !!!

Glad to hear it. We finally tracked it down (and it looks like it might be gomezz's problem as well). I will see if Bob can code a fix so it doesn't stump other users.

Cheers

Chunkywizard

Thanks again for all your, (and others) help.

Perhaps just putting a note in the installation section warning that slash and possibly others chars (see gomezzs problem) are reserved and the file/folder that have these chars in should be renamed before installing MS.

Rog

Sig generated by MyInfo on 2/7/13

'I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand' Confucius
chunkywizard
Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 3:23 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 13 May 2005 Posts: 9305 Location: Sindlesham, Berkshire Tx: Hannington
meadfoot wrote:

Thanks again for all your, (and others) help.

Perhaps just putting a note in the installation section warning that slash and possibly others chars (see gomezzs problem) are reserved and the file/folder that have these chars in should be renamed before installing MS.

Rog

Yep will do, also if we can code around that limitation we will as well.

CW

bdon
Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 09 Jun 2006 Posts: 30 Location: N. Kent
chunkywizard wrote:
meadfoot wrote:
THINK ITS FIXED !!!

Cheers

Chunkywizard

http://forum.toppy.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=89282&highlight=#89282

TAPs: PcControl B1; Jag's Little Clock 1.2; MyStuff 6.5; MHEG On/Off A3; crid v0.06d support for 5.13.65; TAP Commander 1.32; MyInfo B5.6; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; TF5000 Display v1.49; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7;
Sig generated by MyInfo on 12/10/13
chunkywizard
Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Looks like we all forgot about that Confused Still I have written it in the manual now and so when I upload the next version there is a line about this issue in the Quickstart guide,

Cheers

CW

birdman
Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 13 Dec 2006 Posts: 1689 Location: Hitchin, HERTS Tx: Sandy Heath
R2-D2 wrote:
Since the Toppy uses backslash as a directory separator (like Windows), not / (like Unix).
IIRC Windows (well, DOS at least) used either (note that the separator probably doesn't exist on disk, it's likely just used by the OS while parsing names). It was just that if you tried /Windows on the command line it thought it was a switch.
According to the Linux source "undesirable" chars in DOS filenames are:
* ? < > | " : / and \
but who knows what the Toppy rules are?

Toppy: TF5800PVR/250 - Black, now 1TB WD10EURX
F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 -FmVrXp+BmC0CbFsIPsUUuWfZXl,
Loader: C5.14, Hardware: 1.01
TAPs: SecCache (UK) v0.4; EPG2MEI v0.96; FontManager 1.0d; QuickJump 1.71; MhegOnOff(Now1) A3; EIT Sub v0.6; MyStuff 6.6
USB connected: SheevaPlug with Debian wheezy
Sig mostly from MyInfo on 26/10/09
R2-D2
Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:58 pm Reply with quote
birdman wrote:
but who knows what the Toppy rules are?

Well, like I said, the backslash is pretty much the only reserved character. If you don't believe me have a try using Puppy. If you find something other than backslash that it doesn't like, let us know. Smile
birdman
Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:52 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 13 Dec 2006 Posts: 1689 Location: Hitchin, HERTS Tx: Sandy Heath
R2-D2 wrote:
Well, like I said, the backslash is pretty much the only reserved character. If you don't believe me have a try using Puppy.
Hmm.. A/B. How to make a directory inaccessible via ftpd-topfield!

It doesn't like . or .. (unsurprisingly).

It does like a newline character, which makes for fun listings. A\nB and AB both show as AB in the Toppy browser.

Toppy: TF5800PVR/250 - Black, now 1TB WD10EURX
F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 -FmVrXp+BmC0CbFsIPsUUuWfZXl,
Loader: C5.14, Hardware: 1.01
TAPs: SecCache (UK) v0.4; EPG2MEI v0.96; FontManager 1.0d; QuickJump 1.71; MhegOnOff(Now1) A3; EIT Sub v0.6; MyStuff 6.6
USB connected: SheevaPlug with Debian wheezy
Sig mostly from MyInfo on 26/10/09
R2-D2
Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:20 am Reply with quote
birdman wrote:
It does like a newline character, which makes for fun listings.

Don't try this, but I think you can also make the filename empty. Well, puppy will accept it as a destination for a rename. Not too sure what it ends up as on the Toppy since it's rather hard to see... Smile
andygrunt
Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:13 pm Reply with quote
As I got lucky with my last couple of suggestions (they're apparently already done or being worked on), I thought I'd see how this one does...

How about some form of automatic programme recording (or highlighting/suggestion) based on viewing habits? In other words, a bit like the Tivo.

Suppose I record or watch several episodes of 'Star Trek: The Next Generation'. MS could obviously match 'Star Trek' to other Trekkie series (e.g. 'Star Trek: Voyager'). But going a bit further, it might also match the words 'Patrick Stewart' in the description text of 'Next Generation' and match it with another programme he appears in (which might be a film, chat show, drama or whatever). A further factor might be Genre, so a show that includes 'Patrick Stewart' and is also in the same genre as Star Trek would get a very high rating where a show with Patrick Stewart in that wasn't a Star Trek show and had a different Genre would get a lower rating.

As well as taking note of what I record, MS would equally gather this data from stuff I watch live. I guess time could also be a factor - if I watch several episodes of Next Generation in a few months, it would be given greater weight than if I'd watched only 1 or 2 Next Gen' shows in that time so, as time goes on, the priorities/rankings would change with my viewing habits. Also a show that I start to watch but don't complete might have its keywords reduced in importance (but maybe that's a complication too far).

The more occurrences there were of watching something with a 'keyword' in, the higher priority it would be given and the user could select which priority level MS acts on (e.g. only the top 3% of ranking keywords would be used to set recordings).

I guess there should be the option of either automatically recording the selected programmes or just highlighting them for the user perhaps in the form of an icon in the EPG and/or a new 'Suggested Timers' type screen listing the shows that MS has selected.

I'll be amazed if you told me this was already being worked on. Delighted but amazed.

Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 05 May 2005 Posts: 1472 Location: Cornwall
@andygrunt, This was one of the ideas Bob had when he started Control Timers, can't remember what they were going to be called "Smart Timers" or similar. So it may already be in the pipeline.

Transmitter: Caradon Hill
Popcorn Hour:
Runnig FTP Topfield: RT2MEI v1.1: Remote Timers
OTHER:Harmony 885 Remote
HydeTheDarkerSide
Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 11 May 2005 Posts: 5953 Location: Hannington Transmitter : Sony KDL 40Z5800
That's a whole chunk of work we're not close to yet Shocked

I've no idea how Tivo achieves this, or even if they hold some kind of patent on the idea/deployment thereof.

But for us to do that is not yet on the radar. Issues about knowing what you're watching as opposed to being captured by the other tuner, or in playback mode, when you're not actually "watching" anything at all.

How you'd extract actor names from any other kind of word (capitalisation of first letter aside), from the description area would be kinda tricky.

How you'd want the resulting clashes between an explicit recording over something the algorithm had found handled.

If your kids viewed more telly than you, how'd you feel about having your hard disk eaten away by recordings from CBBC etc.

So, nice suggestion.....

But not yet Wink

MyStuff Links: http://www.toppy.org.uk/~mystuff/index.shtml
Sig generated by MyInfo on 11/10/13
andygrunt
Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:52 pm Reply with quote
HydeTheDarkerSide wrote:
That's a whole chunk of work we're not close to yet

Fair enough. I thought it might be the case - no harm trying though Smile

Though I never used one or even saw one in action, I have a vague feeling I heard the Tivo connected back to base where there was some kind of database that showed if a user watched 'X' then other users who also watched 'X' also watched 'Y' so made suggestions like that (a bit like Amazon recommendations perhaps).

I wouldn't think it would be too difficult extracting the more significant words (like 'Patrick Stewart') from others ('it, the, and' etc). My assumption is that the title & description text is just a text string that can be manipulated as it would be in a PC programme but then I've never programmed the Toppy (and done very little PC programming) so I'm no expert. I'd guess you'd either have a set list of common words or perhaps could come up with a list of keywords by seeing what words appeared least in the EPG. But that's just off the top of my head.

The priority of suggested shows would obviously be lower than manual recordings set by the user so I wouldn't think that was an insurmountable problem. It might even be the case that rather than setting timers, you'd only show the results as a list of suggestions allowing the user to decide what to actually record so avoiding the problem altogether?

I don't have kids but the problem of multiple users did occur to me but I think it would boil down to the popular shows would float to the top - but, again, that's easy for me to say not having to code it.